Total votes : 33
 Post subject: #10 prospect run-off: Shervyen Newton vs. Anthony Kay
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:17 am 
Legend of NYFS

?

Post subject: Re: #10 prospect run-off: Shervyen Newton vs. Anthony Kay
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:51 am 
Legend of NYFS

Kay with a commanding lead. Should Kay win I predict Newton vs. Santana will be #11, Santana seems to have a good % of NYFS fans.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:07 am 
Manager

I predict Newton will win easily in the next poll

Newton was a top 20 prospect in the appy league and has gotten some top 10 mentions from prominent prospect lists.

I like Santana but I think he is part of the next cluster that includes Toffey, Cheech and SWR.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:13 am 
Rookie

Adolph didn't make the NYPL list from BA but JMM surprisingly made it in at #20.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:27 am 
Manager

Hot Takes wrote:
Adolph didn't make the NYPL list from BA but JMM surprisingly made it in at #20.

Wow that’s a curve ball name. Did anyone have him on their radar for our top 30 or even 50?

He played well but he repeated the level.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:54 am 
Legend of NYFS

Hot Takes wrote:

That's pretty cray cray re Adolph.

I've been the lone JMM supporter here the past 2 seasons tho.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:44 pm 
MVP

bygranddesign wrote:

Newton was a top 20 prospect in the appy league and has gotten some top 10 mentions from prominent prospect lists.

I like Santana but I think he is part of the next cluster that includes Toffey, Cheech and SWR.

For the record, I did a little more reading up on Santana. Scouting the Sally and a few other sites mention his speed as being slightly above average and the glove is actually pretty decent. I think people see that he's chunky and make some assumptions that he's a plodding hack.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:06 pm 
Legend of NYFS

piazzafan wrote:
bygranddesign wrote:

For the record, I did a little more reading up on Santana. Scouting the Sally and a few other sites mention his speed as being slightly above average and the glove is actually pretty decent. I think people see that he's chunky and make some assumptions that he's a plodding hack.

And he's really not thick in the Carlos Cortes sense... at least not yet.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:22 pm 
Legend of NYFS

piazzafan wrote:
bygranddesign wrote:

BA disagrees.

"Santana is an offensive-minded second baseman who could be an average fielder, with solid-average speed and an average arm."

And keep in mind guys generally get thicker/slower. His speed won't be an "asset" lets put it that way and that's the point.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:28 pm 
Legend of NYFS

For comparisons sake the guys at BP had Santana ranked

Rosen (not top 10)
Seidler (not top 10)
Jeff P (not top 10)
Oringer (not top 10)

Whereas Newton
9th
Not ranked
8th
10th

with the note

"JP: I’m leaving almost directly from our SaberSeminar presentation to go see Kingsport. Newton may or may not still be there at that point, but I already got a scout quote that amounted to “Stuff him, he’s at least an average regular.” So when he shows up in the top ten this offseason, don’t be shocked. I will have to finally commit to memory that it is “v before y.”

Mauricio is incredibly raw and likely not a shortstop long term — though frankly neither is Newtown — but there’s impact major league tools here.

AR: Let’s forget the 2018 stats for a second: the fact that Mauricio’s even stateside at this point is incredibly impressive. He’s playing the entire season as a 17-year-old in affiliated ball while adjusting to a new culture. Yeah, he probably should be higher, but there’s a ton of proximity risk here that needs to be baked into the profile somewhere.

Newton’s two years older with a frame that’s a little more filled out than Mauricio and is off to a torrid start in Kingsport. Why not run him out at short every day in Brooklyn? He should start 2019 in Columbia, which is likely to be the must-see affiliate next season. It’s hard to push Mauricio and Newton ahead of guys who’ve performed at higher levels of the minors, but Jeff McNeil shouldn’t be eligible for this list anymore and I’d trade Dunn straight up for either of these dudes if we’re being honest."

I have nothing against Santana at all but I think most teams would be looking to trade for Newton over Santana 10/10 times given they are equally far away

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:38 pm 
Manager

I’m not seeing much of a disagreement

Slightly above average vs. solid average speed

Decent glove vs could be average glove

Parsing that out, I think it’s obvious that there isn’t much upside value with him when it comes to defense and speed

But sounds like he will be able to stick at 2nd and be somewhere between avg and slightly above avg on the base paths

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:40 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Metro2007 wrote:
piazzafan wrote:
bygranddesign wrote:

BA disagrees.

"Santana is an offensive-minded second baseman who could be an average fielder, with solid-average speed and an average arm."

And keep in mind guys generally get thicker/slower. His speed won't be an "asset" lets put it that way and that's the point.

Again, his speed doesn't have to be an asset. Few players have that asset in today's game. If Santana's contact and plate discipline continue to be elite, then he will be just fine. And while he may not hit for much power, this doesn't look like a slap hitting profile either. Overall I think there is good reason to be bullish.