MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Martino: DeGrom won't discuss extension post opening day
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:21 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Nah pretty sure it'll be the owners fault if it doesn't.

The Wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:42 am 
Veteran Presence

AllWrightNow wrote:
Yeah I would hope that's just an agent saber-rattling cause that's Harvey-type diva stuff, and deGrom's literally the last player I would expect that from.

Funny you bring up Harvey, because he floated the idea of having an innings-limit coming off of TJS and he backed off. Now instead of getting the biggest pitching contract in major league history like everyone thought he would, he's making pennies.

Players should absolutely protect themselves in this situation.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:55 am 
Legend of NYFS

metsrule0423 wrote:
AllWrightNow wrote:
Yeah I would hope that's just an agent saber-rattling cause that's Harvey-type diva stuff, and deGrom's literally the last player I would expect that from.

Funny you bring up Harvey, because he floated the idea of having an innings-limit coming off of TJS and he backed off. Now instead of getting the biggest pitching contract in major league history like everyone thought he would, he's making pennies.

There's examples for both. Some guys made less cause they signed too early. Carlos Gomez comes to mind, also Ben Zobrist and his 2 club extensions of 7 and 7.5 million was almost a robbery.

Harvey was a Boras client and Boras wouldn't have entertained an extension unless it was very generous, so that's as much on Harvey and his choice of agents as it is on the mets - both sides were reluctant to extend.

I don't know why the mets are so reluctant at offering extensions, which they seem to do almost to a fault, but the one time they did recently with Lagares they got burned . . . so, it really does go both ways. There's no absolute right approach.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:00 pm 
Legend of NYFS

As it turns out, he wouldn't have gotten anything close to that. The market has crashed because billionaire owners are penny pinchers

The Wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:52 pm 
Rookie

metsrule0423 wrote:
Now instead of getting the biggest pitching contract in major league history like everyone thought he would, he's making pennies.

$11 Million for 2019. Wow, I wish I could make "pennies". :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:55 pm 
Legend of NYFS

metsrule0423 wrote:
AllWrightNow wrote:

I mean, Harvey's going to take home like $20m between last year and this year whereas if his name was anything else he'd have been on vet minimum minor league type deals, so I'm not exactly crying for him.

If thats the downside scenario, you could make an argument that DeGrom is in a no-lose situation rather than a situation where he has everything at risk or something.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:16 pm 
Fan Favorite

deGrom has made $30 million in his career including this year's salary. He's already set for life. This is the worst market the game has seen in a long time. If he stays just mostly healthy this year, he'll make $25 million next year. I frankly don't see any reason for him to have to sign an extension. Wait to see how much Sale and Bumgarner get next year, and then you can decide how badly you want to stay with the Mets.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:18 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Elster 21 wrote:
This is the worst market the game has seen in a long time.

Hang on, Patrick Corbin is on the other line...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:29 pm 
Fan Favorite

HeyNowHK wrote:
Elster 21 wrote:

Yeah and I bet they feel pretty stupid for doing that so early and misreading the market. If they weren't negotiating against themselves, then the teams they beat out would probably be lining up to sign Keuchel.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:41 pm 
Legend of NYFS

bklyndave69 wrote:
metsrule0423 wrote:
Now instead of getting the biggest pitching contract in major league history like everyone thought he would, he's making pennies.

I missed that signing. How is he worth 11 million? The Angels are crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:09 pm 
Veteran Presence

bklyndave69 wrote:
metsrule0423 wrote:

He got a decent contract for this year, but what would his payday look like if he stayed healthy and never got TOS? That's my point; he said that it might make sense to limit his innings so he could stay healthy and get his big contract, then people killed him for it, so he pitches through it and gets hurt. Now he's making a fraction of what he would have had he stayed healthy. There's a lesson to be learned here, and deGrom shouldn't get killed by the fans for having learned it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:28 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Elster 21 wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Elster 21 wrote:

Yeah and I bet they feel pretty stupid for doing that so early and misreading the market. If they weren't negotiating against themselves, then the teams they beat out would probably be lining up to sign Keuchel.

It does look like a pretty big overpay. I didn't think he'd get anywhere near that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next