MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mets acquire RHP Wilmer Font from Rays
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:34 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Yeah, still not really finding myself agreeing with your approach. Once again, raising Seth Lugo I guess is an attempt to bring another example of "Sometimes, things work out differently than you might expect"?? I mean, yes, that of course happens. But the idea that if someone inferred that Seth Lugo - 30-something round pick, D3 Pitcher, mediocre minor leaguer - wasn't going to be much, thats not an unrealistic expectation. In fact, that was TOTALLY reasonable at the time. He has exceeded expectations - that is awesome. Other guys with pedigrees and minor league track records don't translate for whatever reason - wouldn't mean it would be unreasonable to EXPECT those guys to perform at the big league level. On that point, Chris Flexen - who got a larger bonus than Walker Lockett and has performed far better than he has at the minor league level - could be seen as someone who has failed to meet expectations. It happens.

Again, pointing out that sometimes things happen that are out of alignment with track records doesn't render people make reasonable inferences from the evidence we have useless.

You can chose to fit whatever perception you want to portray under the guise of "Sometimes things happen differently than we expect." That just seems far more "superficial" than relying on what we have and literally just opens up Pandora's Box to use anything to support your point - whether track records or pedigrees support it or not, it doesn't matter, because we don't know ANYTHING for sure. I prefer to be grounded based on what information we have. But whatever floats your canoe, man.

I'm gonna move on after this (I swear)... The above to me is just the Mike Francesa, "well even though I was wrong, I should have been right..." If this is the way you view everything, then it gives you great cover to fire away with impunity bc even when you turned out to be far off, you should have been right because your analysis is the superior analysis or whatever the rationalization is.

Look, I'm really just questioning the point of jumping out to trash someone who's effectively just in some vague depth pipeline simply bc he doesn't fit into some neat box you've constructed? OK, you're projection is pretty low for this or that guy. But jumping out with the "let's not pretend xyz, because we know how this is going to turn out...." Um, no you don't. I don't say that from the depths of the "anything can happen" barrel. MMN has him #20 and FG has him 17. He might very well end up sucking... I'm saying we should at least see what he's got a few times before concluding that. And further, just bc Oswalt or Flexen might suck doesn't seem like the proper justification for saying a Walker Lockett must also suck.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:55 pm 
Legend of NYFS

What made Lockett interesting to me was the articles people wrote about him, calling him a back end starter. I think most of us agree that Flexen/Oswalt/Vargas aren't good back end starters, though Vargas has been kind of OK this year, minus the scary hard hit rate.

Is there a chance Lockett is another Flexen/Oswalt - sure. Absolutely, but he got more upside praise than those two did by writers. The Padres had a 40 man roster crunch so they traded him. The Indians, a bit later, got a pretty good return for him in Plawecki. I don't think the mets would have traded Plawecki for another Oswalt - nothing against Oswalt, but I think Plaw had considerably more value.

None of this proves anything, and until he starts pitching this year, it's just an exercise in guessing, hope and anticipation, but I think the mets were higher on Lockett than you (MJ) are projecting otherwise they wouldn't have taken Plawecki for him.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:22 pm 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
What made Lockett interesting to me was the articles people wrote about him, calling him a back end starter. I think most of us agree that Flexen/Oswalt/Vargas aren't good back end starters, though Vargas has been kind of OK this year, minus the scary hard hit rate.

Is there a chance Lockett is another Flexen/Oswalt - sure. Absolutely, but he got praise than those two did by writers. The Padres had a 40 man roster crunch so they traded him. The Indians got a pretty good return for him in Plawecki. I don't think the mets would have traded Plawecki for another Oswalt - nothing against Oswalt, but I think Plaw had considerably more value.

None of this proves anything, and until he starts pitching this year, it's just an exercise in guessing, hope and anticipation, but I think the mets were higher on Lockett than you (MJ) are projecting otherwise they wouldn't have taken Plawecki for him.

Jason Vargas has a 5.77 FIP

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:40 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

Would be nice to have a lefty batter for a big spit, but no we needed Broxton to do nothing again

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:43 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

Nice to have 2 righties hitting .150 on the bench

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:32 pm 
NYFS Staff

Walker Lockett IS not good. Though it remains to be seen, he was a AAAA depth guy.

Would LOVE to see him prove me wrong though...

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:22 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Quote:
Tim Healey
‏Verified account @timbhealey
18m18 minutes ago

The Mets sent righthander Neraldo Catalina, 19 next month, to the Rays as the player to be named later in the Wilmer Font trade.

Catalina signed with the Mets out of the Dominican last summer. He has not pitched in a pro game yet.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:25 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Jacob Resnick
@Jacob_Resnick
·
19m
Replying to
@Jacob_Resnick
Well, we were warned it would be an interesting low-level guy, and Catalina fits the bill. He’s 18 and hasn’t pitched in a pro game yet, but earned a six-figure bonus, routinely hits mid-90s, and was going to skip the DSL and start his career stateside.

Jacob Resnick
@Jacob_Resnick
·
17m
Baseball America: “His fastball plays up beyond the pure velocity, getting on hitters quickly with good extension out front in his delivery [he’s 6’6”]. Catalina complements his fastball with a power slider as well.”

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:25 pm 
Manager

Cue the outrage on Twitter lolol
Bet half the fans didn't know of him until now

You will be missed Carlos!

Remember Met fans, every trade is different and independent from the rest. TIS...Trust in Sandy!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:29 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I think on a roster where you have 20 RHPers who are 6'0 and 1 who is 6'6, he's the one you try to hold onto.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:36 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

Amateur hour in the Mets front office continues

"I think the best owners always are the ones who understand that they really don't own the team. The fans own the team. For a period of time, you are a steward, and you'll be judged on how well you manage that."
- Warriors COO Rick Welts

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:45 pm 
Veteran Presence

R Nitelight wrote:
I think on a roster where you have 20 RHPers who are 6'0 and 1 who is 6'6, he's the one you try to hold onto.

8)

+1...may be a nothing prospect but 6'6" 18 yr olds that throw mid 90's...if true...you tend to want to hold on to for more than Font...Seems like the perfect deal to send 75k and Mitch Ghelfi in

Hey, you know what they say: see a broad to get dat booty yak 'em... ...leg 'er down a smack 'em yak 'em!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next