MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Draft!!!
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:14 pm 
Rookie

I'd be more concerned with a team drafting a "safe" draft pick instead of going for a "riskier" pick, when their is no such thing as a safe pick.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:32 am 
Everyday Player

HeyNowHK wrote:
FG's mock 3.0 has us taking UNLV SS Bryson Stott. Has had an impressive career and having a terrific season (you sense a 'but' coming), but I'm not in love with his swing mechanics. Not against taking a college bat but I'm not sure Stott is the one I'd pull the trigger on. The college bats they have going immediately after Stott are Jung, Langeliers and Wilson. My chips are in for Wilson.

They have the Mets taking McConnell in rd 2, which is prob a nice outcome for the 53rd pick. Quickly brushing up, how about Matt Dyer, U of AZ Catcher... lanky at 6'4" and a draft eligible Soph. Or his teammate, IFer Cameron Cannon... looks like one of the better college bats in the class.

Big fan of McConnell in round two, but think he's gonna have some helium.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:40 pm 
Rookie

Any thoughts on Rutledge if we go for pitching? He sounds interesting.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:03 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Updated BA mock has Mets taking RHP Jackson Rutledge:

"Rutledge’s range seems to be from 8-14, but we keep hearing mostly college names and pitchers tied to the Mets at No. 12. If Manoah is on the board, he probably doesn’t get past this pick."

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:40 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Rutledge has some entertainment value as a boom or bust guy.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:09 pm 
Rookie

R Nitelight wrote:

8)

Is Rutledge mostly considered to be more risky (if I'm interpreting you correctly) than the similarly ranked pitchers (e.g. Thompson, Manoah, Kirby) because he is a JuCo player? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anything particularly alarming in his player profile...

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:26 pm 
Legend of NYFS

TheUpperDeck wrote:
R Nitelight wrote:

8)

Is Rutledge mostly considered to be more risky (if I'm interpreting you correctly) than the similarly ranked pitchers (e.g. Thompson, Manoah, Kirby) because he is a JuCo player? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anything particularly alarming in his player profile...

I think this was mostly Nitey's need to be provocative.

Rutledge would be a great pick if he gets to 12. To address this as a legit question, I don't really see the bust potential there any more than there is with the generic SPer... and in this case, most likely less bust potential bc the combination of talent, size and athleticism. I'd be pretty shocked if he slides past 12.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:32 am 
Legend of NYFS

The success rate of 6'8" 260 pound (?) is not great, but it's entertaining to watch, and scary when it works.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:24 am 
Veteran Presence

The success rate of all prospects is "not great" and given that there are so few 6'8", 260 lb. players to begin with, then yeah, there's going to be very few examples of players to point to that reached the big leagues at that size.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:26 am 
Veteran Presence

Louisville closer McAvene was throwing smoke last night, hitting triple digits.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:07 pm 
Rookie

HeyNowHK wrote:
Rutledge would be a great pick if he gets to 12. To address this as a legit question, I don't really see the bust potential there any more than there is with the generic SPer... and in this case, most likely less bust potential bc the combination of talent, size and athleticism. I'd be pretty shocked if he slides past 12.

This makes sense. There's some risk associated with every pitcher. Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I don't see the injury history that Thompson has. Furthermore, his fastball could possibly carry him to the bigs as an RP if his command doesn't improve.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:18 pm 
Legend of NYFS

TheUpperDeck wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:

This makes sense. There's some risk associated with every pitcher. Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I don't see the injury history that Thompson has. Furthermore, his fastball could possibly carry him to the bigs as an RP if his command doesn't improve.

This year’s Nate Pearson.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next