MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The other half of the Mets draft, who do you like?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:55 pm 
Everyday Player

I like Mangum a lot. Don't think there's starter upside but I think he's a high-probability major leaguer with above-average glove, speed, and contact ability.

Kennie Taylor and Duplantis also are nice OF senior signs.

Like Senger too. It's just a flyer in that round but maybe professional coaches are able to find something in his delivery that Stetson coaches couldn't.

Post subject: Re: 2019 Mets Draft Thoughts and Opinions
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:41 pm 
Everyday Player

Mangum had been drafted three times. I don't know that he really qualifies as a sleeper.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:10 pm 
Veteran Presence

Trevor Ezell tearing it up in the NCAAs. He's undersized at 5'8" and doesn't have a position (jack of all trades, master of none). He's an older player being a RS-senior, but I think he would have made a fine pick in rounds 4-10 as a money saver. He went undrafted, but I have to think he gets picked up as an UFA.

Sure seems like he can hit...

During the tournament:

13-25, 2 HR, 8 RBI, 6 2B, SB

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:51 pm 
Legend of NYFS

bygranddesign wrote:
The Juice wrote:
If Baty, Wolf and Allan all sign, where would you guys slot them in the Mets prospect rankings?

Allan and Baty at 3-4 behind Gimenez and Mauricio? Wolf in the back end of the top 10 behind Kay, SWR, Peterson and Szapucki?

I'd have Baty over Allan

Just because they were close anyway talent wise and i sort of lean towards valuing young hitters more (less risk)

Gimenez
Roma
Baty
Allan
Vientos
Peterson
Kay
SWR
Wolf
Pucky

I don’t think Szapucki is in the top 10 right now. Newton would have to be on the list tho. Cortez is probably close. And Kay and SWR have to be higher on this list than Peterson and Vientos.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:12 am 
Legend of NYFS

You're going to get a good look at Baty.

Allan and Wolf are probably going to pitch about 10 inning each, and it's not completely out of the realm of possibility that they don't pitch at all.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:07 pm 
General Manager

Quick rundown of what seemed to be the strategy of this draft

Main Strategy: Go underslot with the 1st round pick and draft seniors 4-10 in order to save enough money to get 1st round top 15 talent in Allan in the 3rd round

As 1st backup plan in case Allan is too tough a sign: Draft 1st round/early 2nd round talent Barco with the 24th round pick in the hope of signing him with the aforementioned savings

2nd backup plan if both Allan AND Barco don't sign: Sign the 4-5 top 200/HS kids that were picked with the savings -- Fowler / Charles / Mcintosh / Beck ..etc

I think this is a worthy strategy to pool money for 3 top tier 1st day talents and spread the remaining money to accomplished seniors who in some cases may be undervalued.

Who knows whether it will all work out -- But I give the Mets credit with executing an actual plan that is outside the box and can provide some significant upside

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:09 pm 
Legend of NYFS

They got the 17/36/13 ranked prospects with picks 12, 53 and 89. If they sign all 3 it's a tremendous job.

The Wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

matlack72 wrote:
I find this talk about Kelenic comical. He's a 19 year old kid who hit .253 at Kingsport
and struck out once a game and people are talking like he's the second coming. Get real people. When you have a chance to get the best reliever in the game who's only 24 and give up Kelenic in the deal, you MAKE that deal. Stop with the nonsense.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:00 pm 
General Manager

It looks like they pulled it off -- Got 2 of the top HS pitchers in the draft and arguably the best HS hitter in the draft

I have to give this draft a B+ with possibility of an A assuming they sign the 12th pick and at least one of the HS kids - McIntosh or Beck (no chance to get Hunter Barco or probably Charles now with no bonus pool)

In the end .. it might be a bust draft -- there is a lot riding on whether this draft is successful on only a couple of highly touted prospects and the rest are significant longshots -- but I think it was a worthwhile and smart strategy and deserves praise for outside the box thinking

I'll repeat what I said in the Mathew Allen thread:

Give credit to Brodie and/or Tanous for doing their homework

They saw an opportunity to get arguably the best HS pitcher in the draft and they went for it

I would LOVE to see this strategy deployed every draft (if the same situation presents itself .. i.e... a 1st round talent falls to the 3rd round and could be gotten for around 2.5 million and then go super cheap 4-10)

And i'm pretty intrigued by these seniors we got 4-10

This seems like a real Moneyball mentality -- are these seniors undervalued?

Mangum only cost 20K ... yet you look at all these juniors we have taken in recent years and they cost between 200k to 500k bonus?

That seems like a disconnect that's worth exploiting

Pooling that money for 3 1st round talents .. and then buying up potentially undervalued seniors for peanuts

That is the type of moneyball thinking that Sandy and his regime NEVER showed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:02 pm 
Veteran Presence

Baty and Allan alone makes this draft a success. Wolf, Mangum and any other player of note is just a bonus. Getting, arguably, the best prep arm and best prep bat is excellent work. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:09 am 
General Manager

With McIntosh and Beck signed

I have to give this draft an A

Who knows what it will look like 5 years from now ... but I respect the process and the execution of a thoughtful strategy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:58 pm 
Legend of NYFS

This moves Brodie's overall grade as GM up from a minus 200 to a minus 198

The Wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

matlack72 wrote:
I find this talk about Kelenic comical. He's a 19 year old kid who hit .253 at Kingsport
and struck out once a game and people are talking like he's the second coming. Get real people. When you have a chance to get the best reliever in the game who's only 24 and give up Kelenic in the deal, you MAKE that deal. Stop with the nonsense.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:29 pm 
NYFS Staff

GMA+ of a negative 198...?