MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jerry Koosman's number to be retired
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:37 pm 
Blue Chipper

https://www.mlb.com/mets/news/jerry-koosman-s-no-36-to-be-retired

Quote:
The New York Mets announced Tuesday that the club will retire Jerry Koosman's uniform No. 36 in 2020.

Post subject: Re: Jerry Koosman's number to be retired
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:40 pm 
Legend of NYFS

There was no need to rush into this...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:40 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Interesting. Well deserved for this franchise

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:42 pm 

Also nice that they did something meaningful for the 50th anniversary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:48 pm 
NYFS Staff

Nothing like retiring a number after it's already been soiled by the likes of Jeff Tam, Chip Ambres, Willie Collazo and Sean Gilmartin.

But seriously, I don't have an issue with this at all (other than it being about 30 years too late).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:51 pm 

True on it being long overdue. Maybe now Keith will be honored someday

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:07 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Not to diminish any of Koosman’s accomplishments and importance to the franchise but the timing of this does suggest it’s somewhat of a diversion away from the disappointment of the current team.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:14 pm 
Legend of NYFS

eMail me when it's Turk Wendell Day.......

8)

8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:14 pm 

No I think it was meant to coincide with 1969 clinching day

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:23 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I have no problem with the mets making a big deal of the 50 year anniversary of 1969 and honoring Koos in the process.

I don't think the Yankees do this. Too many championships to have 30 or 50 or 100 year celebrations. Maybe they do and I wouldn't know cause I don't follow the Yankees.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:12 pm 
Blue Chipper

Kooz was my favorite player growing up and I still use kooz and 36 in many of my passwords. There is nothing wrong with this. However, the difference between his Met career and those of Seaver, Piazza, and Wright is substantial.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:53 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Wright's a lock to be retired. It's just a question of when.

Doc and Straw are tarnished and those guys make the mets top 5 in War.

Seaver - 1
Wright - 2
Doc - 3
Koos - 4
Straw - 5

deGrom will break the top 5 when his WAR is added this year and I think deGrom will be a retired number one day, baring a trade.

Matlack in his prime was better than Koosman, but Matlack just had 5 good years as a met and he wasn't there for 69. Koosman struggled a bit in 72 and he racked up a lot of losses during the Grants tomb era, but he mostly good in 68-77, leading the league in both losses and strikeouts per 9 in that 77 season. It's the good for 9 years and 2 WS appearances vs Matlack, who was a little better for 5 years and 1 WS appearance.

The division between Koosman and Carter, Keith, Alfonzo, Beltran, Matlack isn't all that much but an argument could be made that Koosman earned it with the 2 WS wins against Baltimore and 1 more against Oakland in 73.

Piazza is an interesting retired number. I think Beltran or Alfonzo brought just as much to the Mets as Piazza did and both have a better WAR as a met, but Piazza was kind of magical in his way, so I kind of get that too. They can't retire everyone, but if they could . . . Carter, Keith, Alfonzo, Matlack and I'd like to see Straw & Doc in there as well - but that's just me. I'm not saying I would, just that I'd like to if we were to be generous.

But then there's the others in the running, Reyes (No, because he went free agent) Leiter (he's in the mix with war and I think underrated). Sid . . . also there with WAR and maybe Cleon - for emotional reasons and the catch and he hit .340 in 1969.

The line has to be drawn somewhere and Koosman does raise questions of why him and not so and so. . . but I can see a line after Koos, and so can this WAR fellow.

Apologies for rambling.