MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Martino: Mets sources would be "surprised" if Callaway stays
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:20 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Franchise Player

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:46 pm
Posts: 3225
Quote:
But multiple people connected to the team have maintained following Wednesday night's elimination that they will be surprised if Callaway stays. That is less newsy than it seems, given that he was never expected to last more than a year under a general manager who did not hire him. That expectation has not changed.

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/heres-how- ... /310933986

Joe Madden is expected to be a free agent this winter.

But the Mets are supposedly already interested in Joe Espada of the Astros:

Quote:
If the Mets change managers, one of the candidates likely to be considered is Astros coach Joe Espada.

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/ ... 3201871873


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Martino: Mets sources would be "surprised" if Callaway s
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:44 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:12 pm
Posts: 40815
Location: Panic City
Quite a scoop there, dude.


8)

_________________
Whatever.

8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Martino: Mets sources would be "surprised" if Callaway s
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:30 pm 
Offline
Rookie

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:33 pm
Posts: 613
Espada was a special assistant to Cashman 5 years ago. Wouldn't that DQ him in the Wilpons eyes? ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Martino: Mets sources would be "surprised" if Callaway s
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:54 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:56 pm
Posts: 29907
Location: Danbury, CT
So they want a new stooge to replace the old stooge? Is Mickey not submissive enough for the wilpons?

_________________
Terry Collins cost the Mets a World Series title.

The Wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

matlack72 wrote:
I find this talk about Kelenic comical. He's a 19 year old kid who hit .253 at Kingsport
and struck out once a game and people are talking like he's the second coming. Get real people. When you have a chance to get the best reliever in the game who's only 24 and give up Kelenic in the deal, you MAKE that deal. Stop with the nonsense.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Martino: Mets sources would be "surprised" if Callaway s
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:55 am 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:36 pm
Posts: 8701
Location: Ithaca, NY
Maddon is now officially available. Between him, Showalter and Girardi, there's options if the Ponzis are willing to dish out some coin.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Martino: Mets sources would be "surprised" if Callaway s
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:26 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:11 am
Posts: 29736
Location: NYC
Dog wrote:
Maddon is now officially available. Between him, Showalter and Girardi, there's options if the Ponzis are willing to dish out some coin.

LOL. I wouldn’t hold my breath on those.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Martino: Mets sources would be "surprised" if Callaway s
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:06 pm 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:27 pm
Posts: 26107
Angels fire Brad Ausmus after one season. Obvious connection here is Maddon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Martino: Mets sources would be "surprised" if Callaway s
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:39 am 
Offline
Rookie

Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 1:33 pm
Posts: 539
The Post had an article this morning which states that 1) Girardi would be interested if the Mets job opens and 2) BVW likes Showalter.

Any thoughts? I could be convinced, but we've moved past the era of the high-profile manager. The talking heads all seem to love Girardi, but does everyone think that he'd fit with the clubhouse culture here if he's more "tightly wound" (per the Post)?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Martino: Mets sources would be "surprised" if Callaway s
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:57 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:11 am
Posts: 29736
Location: NYC
TheUpperDeck wrote:
The Post had an article this morning which states that 1) Girardi would be interested if the Mets job opens and 2) BVW likes Showalter.

Any thoughts? I could be convinced, but we've moved past the era of the high-profile manager. The talking heads all seem to love Girardi, but does everyone think that he'd fit with the clubhouse culture here if he's more "tightly wound" (per the Post)?

I would have to assume Girardi is the favorite for the Cubs, with David Ross the fallback if they don’t want to pony up for JG.

I have an extremely hard time seeing any $2M+ manager here (esp with Mickey still under contract). These bigger names will be thrown out for show purposes only.

While there may be some lingering burn of a first time manager, I think willingness to “work with” the FO and a reasonable asking price will play large roles and get them somebody like McEwing, Espada, Kotsay or Rojas if they stay internal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Martino: Mets sources would be "surprised" if Callaway s
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:19 pm 
Offline
Rookie

Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 1:33 pm
Posts: 539
HeyNowHK wrote:
TheUpperDeck wrote:
The Post had an article this morning which states that 1) Girardi would be interested if the Mets job opens and 2) BVW likes Showalter.

Any thoughts? I could be convinced, but we've moved past the era of the high-profile manager. The talking heads all seem to love Girardi, but does everyone think that he'd fit with the clubhouse culture here if he's more "tightly wound" (per the Post)?

I would have to assume Girardi is the favorite for the Cubs, with David Ross the fallback if they don’t want to pony up for JG.

I have an extremely hard time seeing any $2M+ manager here (esp with Mickey still under contract). These bigger names will be thrown out for show purposes only.

While there may be some lingering burn of a first time manager, I think willingness to “work with” the FO and a reasonable asking price will play large roles and get them somebody like McEwing, Espada, Kotsay or Rojas if they stay internal.


Would you want Girardi if you had your wish though?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Martino: Mets sources would be "surprised" if Callaway s
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:39 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:16 pm
Posts: 13378
I wanted Girardi but then I remembered, wasn't part of the reason the Yankees let him go was his difficulty communicating with the younger players?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Martino: Mets sources would be "surprised" if Callaway s
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:48 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:11 am
Posts: 29736
Location: NYC
TheUpperDeck wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
TheUpperDeck wrote:
The Post had an article this morning which states that 1) Girardi would be interested if the Mets job opens and 2) BVW likes Showalter.

Any thoughts? I could be convinced, but we've moved past the era of the high-profile manager. The talking heads all seem to love Girardi, but does everyone think that he'd fit with the clubhouse culture here if he's more "tightly wound" (per the Post)?

I would have to assume Girardi is the favorite for the Cubs, with David Ross the fallback if they don’t want to pony up for JG.

I have an extremely hard time seeing any $2M+ manager here (esp with Mickey still under contract). These bigger names will be thrown out for show purposes only.

While there may be some lingering burn of a first time manager, I think willingness to “work with” the FO and a reasonable asking price will play large roles and get them somebody like McEwing, Espada, Kotsay or Rojas if they stay internal.


Would you want Girardi if you had your wish though?

I don’t know. He’s got some gravitas and is used to dealing with the media but I find some of his reasons for doing things often illogical and gut-based as I recall. Look, no one is going to be perfect and he’ll certainly be an upgrade over Mickey, but I would like to see them put some thought into this hire rather than just focusing in on the biggest name.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 105 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


FIND AN AA MEETING | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL BEST SELLERS | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GET HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | VETERAN TIPS ON CRAFT DIY RECIPES | FIND ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB LOCAL NEW OR USED BOOK STORE | KNICKS BLOG FORUM BOARDS | © Untraditional Media