MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Martino: Mets sources would be "surprised" if Callaway stays
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:20 pm 
Franchise Player

Quote:
But multiple people connected to the team have maintained following Wednesday night's elimination that they will be surprised if Callaway stays. That is less newsy than it seems, given that he was never expected to last more than a year under a general manager who did not hire him. That expectation has not changed.

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/heres-how- ... /310933986

Joe Madden is expected to be a free agent this winter.

But the Mets are supposedly already interested in Joe Espada of the Astros:

Quote:
If the Mets change managers, one of the candidates likely to be considered is Astros coach Joe Espada.

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/ ... 3201871873

Post subject: Re: Martino: Mets sources would be "surprised" if Callaway s
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:44 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Quite a scoop there, dude.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:30 pm 
Rookie

Espada was a special assistant to Cashman 5 years ago. Wouldn't that DQ him in the Wilpons eyes? ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:54 am 
Legend of NYFS

So they want a new stooge to replace the old stooge? Is Mickey not submissive enough for the wilpons?

The Wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

matlack72 wrote:
I find this talk about Kelenic comical. He's a 19 year old kid who hit .253 at Kingsport
and struck out once a game and people are talking like he's the second coming. Get real people. When you have a chance to get the best reliever in the game who's only 24 and give up Kelenic in the deal, you MAKE that deal. Stop with the nonsense.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:55 am 
NYFS Staff

Maddon is now officially available. Between him, Showalter and Girardi, there's options if the Ponzis are willing to dish out some coin.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:26 am 
Legend of NYFS

Dog wrote:
Maddon is now officially available. Between him, Showalter and Girardi, there's options if the Ponzis are willing to dish out some coin.

LOL. I wouldn’t hold my breath on those.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:06 pm 
NYFS Staff

Angels fire Brad Ausmus after one season. Obvious connection here is Maddon.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:39 am 
Rookie

The Post had an article this morning which states that 1) Girardi would be interested if the Mets job opens and 2) BVW likes Showalter.

Any thoughts? I could be convinced, but we've moved past the era of the high-profile manager. The talking heads all seem to love Girardi, but does everyone think that he'd fit with the clubhouse culture here if he's more "tightly wound" (per the Post)?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:57 am 
Legend of NYFS

TheUpperDeck wrote:
The Post had an article this morning which states that 1) Girardi would be interested if the Mets job opens and 2) BVW likes Showalter.

Any thoughts? I could be convinced, but we've moved past the era of the high-profile manager. The talking heads all seem to love Girardi, but does everyone think that he'd fit with the clubhouse culture here if he's more "tightly wound" (per the Post)?

I would have to assume Girardi is the favorite for the Cubs, with David Ross the fallback if they don’t want to pony up for JG.

I have an extremely hard time seeing any $2M+ manager here (esp with Mickey still under contract). These bigger names will be thrown out for show purposes only.

While there may be some lingering burn of a first time manager, I think willingness to “work with” the FO and a reasonable asking price will play large roles and get them somebody like McEwing, Espada, Kotsay or Rojas if they stay internal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:19 pm 
Rookie

HeyNowHK wrote:
TheUpperDeck wrote:

I would have to assume Girardi is the favorite for the Cubs, with David Ross the fallback if they don’t want to pony up for JG.

I have an extremely hard time seeing any $2M+ manager here (esp with Mickey still under contract). These bigger names will be thrown out for show purposes only.

While there may be some lingering burn of a first time manager, I think willingness to “work with” the FO and a reasonable asking price will play large roles and get them somebody like McEwing, Espada, Kotsay or Rojas if they stay internal.

Would you want Girardi if you had your wish though?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:39 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I wanted Girardi but then I remembered, wasn't part of the reason the Yankees let him go was his difficulty communicating with the younger players?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:48 pm 
Legend of NYFS

TheUpperDeck wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
TheUpperDeck wrote:

Would you want Girardi if you had your wish though?

I don’t know. He’s got some gravitas and is used to dealing with the media but I find some of his reasons for doing things often illogical and gut-based as I recall. Look, no one is going to be perfect and he’ll certainly be an upgrade over Mickey, but I would like to see them put some thought into this hire rather than just focusing in on the biggest name.