MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The 40 man roster, cuts and rule 5s
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:14 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Cuts come first, so if you want to wait on rule 5's till after the cuts & winter meeting trades, feel free to wait on rule 5.

Rooster: http://m.mets.mlb.com/nym/roster/40-man/

Currently 44 names, but that's standard with 60 day DLs.

25 pitchers, 3 catchers, 9 infields, 6 OFs (including JD) and 1 IF/OF - McNeil.

Free agents:

Availan, Wheeler, Frazier, Rajai Davis, Rene Rivera, and obvious cut, Lagares.

So, 38.

Possible cuts (and call me crazy on some if you like and feel free to add any I missed)

Brad Brach (1.35 option)
Flexen
Gagnon
Hart
Mazza
Oswalt
Rhame
Haggerty (I think they plan to keep him, just not on the 40)
Panik (arb eligible, probably out of options)

I think they try to pass Haggerty through waivers and keep him, they try to resign Panik off the 40. Not sure which pitchers they cut, but probably at least 2 or 3, maybe 4.

Roster down to 32-34 (estimate)

Rule 5 adds: Szapucki, Sanchez, Gimenez and I'd hate to lose Humphreys, so maybe 4.

Roster looks flexible enough and with Brodie running things, it could look pretty different in 2 months anyway.

Am I missing/overlooking anyone?

Post subject: Re: The 40 man roster, cuts and rule 5s
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:40 pm 
NYFS Staff

For cuts, I'd say:

Avilan (FA)
Brach (but maybe the option could be a possibility?)
Gagnon
Hart
Mazza
Wheeler (FA)
Rivera (FA)
Frazier (FA)
Panik (non-tender)
R. Davis (FA)
Lagares (decline option)

That brings us to 33, and even though we have more cut-worthy players, I'll say they stop at that point and then cut other guys as they need the space so as not to risk losing them on waivers for no reason.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:39 am 
Veteran Presence

I like the cheap Brach option, I'd keep him around.

While I would cut Mazza, they seem to have an infatuation with him. Didn't they keep him over Font - whom they gave actual talent up to acquire?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:59 am 
Fan Favorite

yalikeMetroplitans wrote:
I like the cheap Brach option, I'd keep him around.

While I would cut Mazza, they seem to have an infatuation with him. Didn't they keep him over Font - whom they gave actual talent up to acquire?

You definitely keep Brach around at that price for now. NO brainer there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:07 am 
Legend of NYFS

Brach’s option doesn’t pertain to the Mets. If he accepts, it just represents the amount he’ll be paid by the Cubs. He’s a FA.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:03 pm 
Veteran Presence

Ah, thought it was a team option. Yeah, he'll opt out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:35 pm 
Legend of NYFS

There's no Brach option. I could definitely see them trying to keep him around as a "pen add" at a low #, though. Something less than the typical 2/15 deal we are comfortable handing out seemingly every winter, but won't have the cash to do so this year. That would likely lock in 4 spots (Diaz, Wilson, Lugo, Brach) and Gsell/Sewald both arb eligible, so if they don't get NT'ed, likely favorites for 2 of the remaining spots.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:05 pm 
NYFS Staff

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
There's no Brach option. I could definitely see them trying to keep him around as a "pen add" at a low #, though. Something less than the typical 2/15 deal we are comfortable handing out seemingly every winter, but won't have the cash to do so this year. That would likely lock in 4 spots (Diaz, Wilson, Lugo, Brach) and Gsell/Sewald both arb eligible, so if they don't get NT'ed, likely favorites for 2 of the remaining spots.

And Familia.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:16 pm 
NYFS Staff

Gagnon, Avilan, Mazza, Brach, Lagares, Frazier, Hart, Wheeler, Rivera, and Davis gone.

That makes 34. They might wait on Gagnon and Mazza until they need space. Rhame is a wild card. Flexen as well.

No need to cut Haggerty and Panik until necessary. They really have a lot of space if they wish to protect.

Szapucki, Gimenez and Sanchez seem like shoe ins. That should really add Humphreys to that but he might seem further away.

You don't want to leave more than one slot space before the rule V. You can maneuver more easily afterward in getting guys through waivers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:51 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Brach will not be back. LHed hitters destroyed him this year. The 3 batter rule will make it impossible to carry an arm like this. I would be shocked to see him retained even if it won’t cost much (assuming he triggers his $1.3M player option leaving the Mets on the hook for only the ML minimum I believe).

It’s pretty hard to have this bad a pen for 3 straight years but somehow this franchise has figured out a way to do it. I would expect Brodie to raise the bar just a little bit higher on a fix to the pen. I’m expecting a near complete makeover other than Lugo, Wilson and Familia.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:54 am 
Rookie

Add Flexen to list of likely cuts....

He is out of options and unlikely to earn a full time role in the bullpen.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:27 am 
Legend of NYFS

jdawginsc wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

And Familia.

I mean, I can't even fathom how they'd do it, but there's one where I think they may try to figure out how to oust him. Maybe just eat the money. There was nothing redeemable there. Diaz still had the elite velo, whiff rates, etc. Familia had nothing. Stuff is down, command is gone, he's cooked.