MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Single voting or multi voting
Poll ended at Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:53 pm
One vote per person - single voting. 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Allow multiple selections (probably up to 3) per person. 75%  75%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject: Pre 2020 Mets top 35 prospects - guidelines?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:53 pm 
Legend of NYFS

The single vote with 10 choices, especially when players are close is actually not a good voting method (math major). A better method is the scale vote, where you can pick a top 3, giving 3 points to your top, 2 to the 2nd, 1 to the 3rd, but this site doesn't give that option. That's how MVPs are voted, the voters pick their #1, #2, #3 etc.

So, while some people don't like it, multi voting isn't a bad option and I wanted to float that idea.

Another problem in the past has been nomination crowding. I don't want to discourage people from nominating, and, I want to encourage write in voting if a player they like isn't in the pole. That part can be done manually, but the multi-vote option is a setting, so we can vote on that.

- - - as for the top 35? I don't want to go to 50 and nobody (cept Nitey) did based on the last thread, but 35 will let us consider some obscure names, like plus fielding catcher Nick Meyer, who's .475 OPS in St. Lucie looks like he doesn't belong, but he's gotten praise for his glove and he skipped a level so I think there's a chance, at least for top 35.

I was thinking 2 days per vote, so about 10 weeks it'll be done. Early January.

Thoughts?

I

Post subject: Re: Pre 2020 Mets top 35 prospects - guidelines?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:41 pm 
General Manager

Multi voting should be a definite

But it’s more helpful when it gets to a tier of players that are all close in value

I think the top 5 or top 10 should be single votes ... because good chance we are all taking the same 3 players in the top tier of players so it’s better to make people choose 1 option

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:42 am 
Legend of NYFS

bygranddesign wrote:
Multi voting should be a definite

But it’s more helpful when it gets to a tier of players that are all close in value

I think the top 5 or top 10 should be single votes ... because good chance we are all taking the same 3 players in the top tier of players so it’s better to make people choose 1 option

Multi-voting is absolutely better, especially when there's a lot of close choices and MVP style voting is the best (but not possible).

I'm OK with beginning it later, but I did this on another site and a some people didn't like multi voting on principal, so I'll go with the popular vote.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:39 pm 
Rookie

35 names is fine.... We can extend to 50, if the offseason is a dud... Also we should also implement a BVW rule to deal with guys being traded after winning their vote...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:43 pm 
Rookie

35 names is fine.... We can extend to 50, if the offseason is a dud... Also we should also implement a BVW rule to deal with guys being traded after winning their vote...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:35 pm 
Legend of NYFS

stevereiff wrote:

Guys get removed if traded. That's not that hard. I'm not sure I have the stamena for 50. I'll start tomorrow I think, stuff going on today.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:12 pm 
Veteran Presence

I'm afraid to ask, but where's metro?

The Far Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:31 pm 
Legend of NYFS

pennst92 wrote:
I'm afraid to ask, but where's metro?

He stopped visiting the board - nobody knows why. He still posts mets stuff on Twitter.