David Peterson 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Shervyen Newton 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Josh Wolf 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Thomas Szapucki 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 30
 Post subject: Mets top prospect, 2020
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:37 am 
Legend of NYFS

Standard guidelines. Rookie eligible players for 2020 still count as prospects. 45 days on the roster, 50 innings pitched or 130 plate appearances are the cut-offs.

I believe (not 100% certain), Lockett went over service time so he's no longer eligible. Nogosek is still eligible, I believe. Open to correction on them and others with some time in MLB.

Select up to 2 candidates for the first 10 rounds, then select up to 3 and I may go to up to 40 after 20. Its OK to select just 1 if you have a clear favorite. If two players are tied, select both. If you have a first and a second, lean towards selecting both, but don't feel like you have to select 2. It's OK to click just one.

For reverence if anyone wants to check MLB's list. (not a huge fan)

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=nym

Nominees welcome, I'll try to filter out players who get 0 votes with new nominees and keep circling the back in.

Write-ins also welcome as are arguments for your chosen prospect.

Poll will run for 2 days.

Post subject: Re: Mets top prospect, 2020
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:37 am 
Everyday Player

I voted for RoMa and Allen. Looking at that list, there is probably no one on it ready to help in 2020.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:22 am 
Rookie

Went Mauricio and Alvarez....

18 and 17 years old.....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:35 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I abstain in protest of the owners and GM and their philosophies

The Wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

matlack72 wrote:
I find this talk about Kelenic comical. He's a 19 year old kid who hit .253 at Kingsport
and struck out once a game and people are talking like he's the second coming. Get real people. When you have a chance to get the best reliever in the game who's only 24 and give up Kelenic in the deal, you MAKE that deal. Stop with the nonsense.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:02 pm 
Franchise Player

Ronny Mo and Baty.

Ronny Mo because his best possible outcome is awesome shortstop. Baty because he was drafted in the first round.

Tempted by Alvarez because they gave him stacks of money and he’s already like a 5’11, 230 diesel no projection man baby. I’m intrigued by uniquely shaped players.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:17 pm 
Rookie

Mauricio and Alvarez, though it might be wise to vote on 2019 draft picks and IFAs only.

On a more serious note, why is Baty generally so much more highly regarded than Vientos?

Here are Baty's scouting grades from MLB.com (for 3B):

Hit: 55 | Power: 55 | Run: 40 | Arm: 60 | Field: 45 | Overall: 55

Here's his scouting report:

Quote:
Baty's raw power was among the best in the 2019 Draft, the product of bat speed, strength and loft in his left-handed swing. He's more of an advanced hitter than just a pure masher, one who makes repeated hard contact, isn't fooled by breaking pitches and doesn't get caught selling out for power. It all points to a high offensive ceiling for Baty, who projects as an above-average hitter who could develop plus game power.

Though he clocks below-average running times, Baty is a better athlete than his lack of speed might indicate. He played basketball at Lake Travis and could remain a third baseman if he improves his agility and maintains the conditioning on his big frame. There's no question about his arm because he has registered fastballs up to 92 mph off the mound.

Here are Vientos's scouting grades from MLB.com (for 3B):

Hit: 50 | Power: 55 | Run: 40 | Arm: 60 | Field: 50 | Overall: 50

Here's his scouting report:

Quote:
One of the youngest players in the 2017 Draft class, Vientos has only scraped the surface of his offensive potential. With bat speed and strength, Vientos produces exit velocities that are among the best in the system, up there with the likes of slugger Peter Alonso. That innate ability to impact the baseball gives him a chance to hit for average and power, and the latter is already showing during games. Vientos' timing can get out of whack at times, resulting in some swings and misses, but his approach is advanced for his age, and he's demonstrated a willingness to work deep into counts and take walks.

After playing both spots on the left side of the infield during his debut, Vientos manned the hot corner exclusively at Kingsport in 2018. He has below-average speed and lacks range, but he's athletic and has the requisite hands and plus arm strength needed for the position. There's little doubt that he has the bat to profile there, too, and the final product could be that of a bat-first regular who hits in the middle of a lineup.

So I gather that they both have similar strengths (bat speed, strength, power, plus arm strength) and that both are slow for the position (though Vientos actually has a higher field grade). I get the impression that Baty may project to be a better pure hitter - MLB.com gives him a higher hit grade and notes that Vientos is prone to swings and misses - but I'm not sure that he actually has more upside. Plus Vientos is actually slightly younger despite being drafted two years earlier!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:35 pm 
Franchise Player

Baty over Vientos only because he was drafted in the first round. Terrible reason, I know. Vientos is very interesting. He’s young and a big kid and he held his own in full season ball. If the doubles become homers, that’s when he jumps into very, very interesting territory.

Nice post. I appreciate the detail and reason and sourcing. A quality argument and I wouldn’t be shocked to see it play out (Vientos>Baty).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:10 pm 
NYFS Staff

I'm afraid of voting for anyone in the top ten...Brodie will just trade them...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:37 pm 
Veteran Presence

I like Allen and Baty. They aren't going anywhere.

The Far Side

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:53 am 
Blue Chipper

MikeH wrote:
Ronny Mo and Baty.

Ronny Mo because his best possible outcome is awesome shortstop. Baty because he was drafted in the first round.

Tempted by Alvarez because they gave him stacks of money and he’s already like a 5’11, 230 diesel no projection man baby. I’m intrigued by uniquely shaped players.

I guess you liked Bartolo, then?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:28 am 
Legend of NYFS

This is going to be an extremely boring list. However a year from now, Alvarez and Mauricio could make it a lot more exciting.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:05 am 
General Manager

Roma

by default