Humphries
Blake Taylor

Post subject: Re: The 40 man roster, cuts and rule 5s
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:41 am 
MVP

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
There's no Brach option. I could definitely see them trying to keep him around as a "pen add" at a low #, though. Something less than the typical 2/15 deal we are comfortable handing out seemingly every winter, but won't have the cash to do so this year. That would likely lock in 4 spots (Diaz, Wilson, Lugo, Brach) and Gsell/Sewald both arb eligible, so if they don't get NT'ed, likely favorites for 2 of the remaining spots.

And Familia.

I mean, I can't even fathom how they'd do it, but there's one where I think they may try to figure out how to oust him. Maybe just eat the money. There was nothing redeemable there. Diaz still had the elite velo, whiff rates, etc. Familia had nothing. Stuff is down, command is gone, he's cooked.

I agree that Familia looks like he's cooked. However, I don't think ANY team would just eat the money NOW but, instead, see what he looks like after resting during the winter. I say don't count him in the 2020 plan unless he can show something in spring training. His velocity was still decent; just didn't have the oomph...and add that to very significant control issues. Sometimes relief pitchers DO come back. With two years left on his contract, the Mets have to wait until they pull the plug. To make more room now, they could cut Flexen, instead...he has shown absolutely nothing on the big league level.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:09 pm 
NYFS Staff

HeyNowHK wrote:
Protect:
Gimenez
Szapucki
Humphries
Blake Taylor

Concur. Is Ryder Ryan eligible?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:57 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
Protect:
Gimenez
Szapucki
Humphries
Blake Taylor

Taylor was already added. Obviously Gimenez and Puck get added. Still projecting Humphreys is also added off his successful AFL run. Adding anyone else would be a ridiculous waste of a roster spot.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:58 pm 
NYFS Staff

MLB.com lists Ali Sanchez as a no-brainer to protect.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:28 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Drew Gagnon is negotiating with a Korean team, which may or may not open up another spot.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:59 pm 
Legend of NYFS

sluger11787 wrote:
MLB.com lists Ali Sanchez as a no-brainer to protect.

All the momentum says this and I just don't get it, especially if they are keeping an out of options Tomas Nido. Not like there would be a real competition there, or the ability to swap in Sanchez if he gets off to a hot start (not that Nido is something great, but presumably with catcher talent around the league, he'd get claimed). Seems like clogging up a 40 man spot for a no stick backup who would only be used in case of injury? Just resign Rene Rivera or Drew Butera at that point and save the spot for an optionable arm. I also just don't think a team is that desperate for a .170 hitting pitch framer that they'd carry him all year. There's no upside with Ali Sanchez. People overplay how willing even bad teams are to carry absolute 0's all year.

Everybody fretted Kyle Dowdy and his "upper 90's" arm. He was a bad pitcher and we cut him. Noncontending Texas Rangers grabbed him and tried their best to injury stash and hide him and even they ended up just returning him in the end.

I've seen some talk about carrying 3 catchers with the 26th man next year, but my goodness what a waste of a roster spot it would be if we carried Nido and Sanchez. 2 guys who play 1 position and can't hit on the same bench. Woot.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:07 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Quote:
Jacob Resnick
@Jacob_Resnick
·
1m
Official: the #Mets have added Andres Gimenez, Thomas Szapucki, Ali Sanchez, and Jordan Humphreys to their 40-man roster, protecting them from the Rule 5 Draft.

Link

8)

8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:15 pm 
Legend of NYFS

The only way adding Ali makes any sense is by replacing Nido. And even then it’s pretty questionable.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:20 pm 
NYFS Staff

Mets also announce that they have designated Drew Gagnon for assignment.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:06 am 
NYFS Staff

sluger11787 wrote:
Mets also announce that they have designated Drew Gagnon for assignment.

Likely headed to Korea, as expected. I'll show him around when gets here, haha.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:49 am 
NYFS Staff

Right choices mostly. I probably wouldn't have protected Sanchez, and would probably have protected Blackham honestly.