MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: What to do with J.D. Davis?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:20 pm 
Rookie

Nimmo is not a leadoff hitter and is probably a 4th outfielder. sign a real center fielder who can get on base.
Nimmo has to start swinging the bat and not look for walls anh hbp's all the time. he will get hurt as well.
in this new age of a lively ball he needs to be more aggressive.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:00 am 
Veteran Presence

jdawginsc wrote:
Just a fun little thought that popped into my head...

Cf Nimmo 26
2b McNeil 26
1b Alonso 24
Rf Conforto 26
3b Davis 26
LF Smith 24
SS Rosario 23
C Nido 25
P Syndergaard 27

Not bad as a B-lineup when an actual starting-caliber catcher and left fielder are getting a day off.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:26 am 
Veteran Presence

Shefayim18 wrote:
Nimmo is not a leadoff hitter and is probably a 4th outfielder. sign a real center fielder who can get on base.
Nimmo has to start swinging the bat and not look for walls anh hbp's all the time. he will get hurt as well.

Nimmo is 36th in WAR among all outfielders (and 16th among center fielders) with 900+ PA since 2017. If one were to break that down to factor in the fewer amount of games he's been able to play in order to accrue additional WAR, he'd be even higher on that list.

His 134 wRC+ (good for 4th among CF since 2017) is right there ahead Ronald Acuna and 11th among all outfielders, one spot behind a guy who just got paid $330M (and whose defense grades out even worse).

How is he not a lead off hitter? He has a career .388 OBP and sees a ton of pitches.

Is he an ideal center fielder? No, but he's not Castellanos or Mancini in the outfield and among guys who've played at least some CF he grades out as better or equal to the likes of Joc Pederson, Mallex Smith, Dexter Fowler, Charlie Blackmon among others.

Not only is he not a 4th outfielder, since 2017 he's comfortably produced (defense included) about as well as most non-elite (Yelich, Trout, Bellinger, Judge, Soto, Betts) outfielders on a per game basis.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:24 am 
Legend of NYFS

Shefayim18 wrote:

Oh my god

The Wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

brodie is the worst GM in human history

matlack72 wrote:
I find this talk about Kelenic comical. He's a 19 year old kid who hit .253 at Kingsport
and struck out once a game and people are talking like he's the second coming. Get real people. When you have a chance to get the best reliever in the game who's only 24 and give up Kelenic in the deal, you MAKE that deal. Stop with the nonsense.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:45 am 
NYFS Staff

The Juice wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:
Just a fun little thought that popped into my head...

Cf Nimmo 26
2b McNeil 26
1b Alonso 24
Rf Conforto 26
3b Davis 26
LF Smith 24
SS Rosario 23
C Nido 25
P Syndergaard 27

Not bad as a B-lineup when an actual starting-caliber catcher and left fielder are getting a day off.

I was more looking at ages. No one above 27...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:16 pm 
Legend of NYFS

BUMP

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/why-it-could-make-sense-for-mets-to-trade-jd-davis-and-what-they-should-look-for-in-exchange/311166630

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:46 pm 
NYFS Staff

Don't trade Davis. We'll have the DH in the NL within two years. Hang onto this guy. He can hit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:59 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Since I'm hoping for no DH that kind of puts me in a spot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:10 pm 
NYFS Staff

TomInNC wrote:
Since I'm hoping for no DH that kind of puts me in a spot

I don't want the DH either. But it's gonna happen.

Hang onto Davis.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:25 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Cano's the DH.

The Wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

brodie is the worst GM in human history

matlack72 wrote:
I find this talk about Kelenic comical. He's a 19 year old kid who hit .253 at Kingsport
and struck out once a game and people are talking like he's the second coming. Get real people. When you have a chance to get the best reliever in the game who's only 24 and give up Kelenic in the deal, you MAKE that deal. Stop with the nonsense.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:32 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Trading JD would be one of the more idiotic things this team and FO has done, but I wouldn’t put it past them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:27 pm 
NYFS Staff

I wouldn't trade either guy, Davis or Smith, unless an equitable controllable arm is coming back.

There are VERY few options out there that will 1. Be available, 2. Be controllable and 3. Be an impact player that would offset the loss of 4-5 years of control.

Besides, they have very little room to add salary which would be where BrodyCo would be looking.

Trading either for any less than 3 years of control is a fools errand.

Lastly, though they have their warts in the outfield, they are one heel and a hamstring from running out an Hechevarria or Rajai type.

Depth on the bench was good with those two around for a change.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next