MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Nice to have the board back.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:30 pm 
NYFS Staff

I know Ed won't ask for help, so I set this up to help pay the server bills and any maintenance involved.

http://www.gofundme.com/help-support-nyfs

You guys can share the link in its own thread and sticky it if you want. I know Ed really appreciates everybody's help over the years.

-Calli/Rachel

Donate to NYFS
The Crafty Veteran Patreon
Facebook
ADWV Services

Suicide Prevention Advocacy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:05 pm 
NYFS Staff

Thanks Rach

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:19 am 
Legend of NYFS

chinabox wrote:
I was worried we were at the "put up a parking lot" phase of paving paradise.

Yeah I stopped checking after a week. I thought it was truly kaput. Weird either way...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:39 am 
Rookie

Calli wrote:
I know Ed won't ask for help, so I set this up to help pay the server bills and any maintenance involved.

You guys can share the link in its own thread and sticky it if you want. I know Ed really appreciates everybody's help over the years.

-Calli/Rachel

Done.
For I don't know how many years (14 actually) this is probably the first place I check on the internet with my morning coffee. Thanks for all you do.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:51 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Calli wrote:

-Calli/Rachel

Done!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:35 pm 
NYFS Staff

Thanks for setting this up, Rachel! Added some coal to the furnace........

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:05 am 
Veteran Presence

Done.

Please bump this if funds start getting low!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:06 pm 
NYFS Staff

Thank you guys for pitching in.

The great outage of 2020 was precipitated by two primary factors, one being my lack of dedication to keeping everything updated, and the other the ongoing and ever increasing cost of keeping the boards running.

It's been 20 years of NYFS. This is really the second time we had a big outage, the last being back in 2006. There's a lot of you guys in this thread that have signed up dates from 2006 cause we had to rebuild the boards from scratch that time. That was the last time I wondered whether NYFS was going to get the doors back open.

Several years ago we switched to a managed hosting solution that includes stuff like SSD drives, reg automated data backups, software updates, security patches, and the ability to tap into shared network resources during peak times like a big trade or a playoff game IGT or the June Draft/Trade Deadline/Winter Meetings so the server we run on doesn't crash everytime there's a big surge in traffic like it did back in the day.

It's allowed me to step away mostly and for a long time the community participation and the pageviews/Google AdSense and the cost and time equation of keeping it running have been manageable for me.

Recently, one of the server/site management software applications we use changed their licensing/pricing model starting the first of the year that increased our monthly cost to operate the server.

That additional cost and my own situation in life, etc. have changed the equation enough so that it's a much more difficult decision than it was a couple of months ago. It's enough of a change that it's a hundreds of dollars a month/thousands of dollars a year deficit. I've either got to not do it, get more help, and/or put enough more into the site so that it offsets more of the cost.

So, I'm happy to accept help both in terms of kicking in for the costs, but also people who'd be interested in being part of helping keep the site updated and trying to build an NYFS for the next 20 years by increasing participation, signups, pageviews, approving new users, mod/admins, etc.

Every little bit you guys kick in in terms of time and funds helps make that easier every month. Even just posting and reading and getting your Mets friend to signup and join the boards helps by creating more page/ad views. Thanks for everything all a y'all do already.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:22 pm 
NYFS Contributor

Calli wrote:

-Calli/Rachel

Done! Even though I go through chronically long stretches of lurking, I've visited this place pretty much every day since before that last outage in '06. It's my online Mets home. And the inspiration for many Photoshops in the days of yore. Of course I'll do what I can to help keep the lights on. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:50 pm 
Veteran Presence

Not sure if the cost/upkeep will ever cause you to look for a new home, but if you do I'm part of a Penn State group on Pro Boards: https://www.proboards.com/

I believe the site is free and I think it's easy to administer/host there - though I've never attempted to do that. Just thought I'd show you a free option in case you just want a safe, free place to move to if this site ends up being too much.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:54 pm 
Rookie

yalikeMetroplitans wrote:
Not sure if the cost/upkeep will ever cause you to look for a new home, but if you do I'm part of a Penn State group on Pro Boards: https://www.proboards.com/

I believe the site is free and I think it's easy to administer/host there - though I've never attempted to do that. Just thought I'd show you a free option in case you just want a safe, free place to move to if this site ends up being too much.

We are!!!! nice to see a fellow alum on NYFS.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:07 pm 
Veteran Presence

stevereiff wrote:
yalikeMetroplitans wrote:

We are!!!! nice to see a fellow alum on NYFS.

Penn State!! I believe there's another alum on here, pennstr maybe?