MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 28  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 2021 Roster
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:25 pm 
Offline
Rookie

Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:36 pm
Posts: 875
tejdog1 wrote:
Cano has a NTC he's not going anywhere.


That doesn't mean there's not places he wouldn't want to go.

Like can we steal DJ from the Yankees and then pawn Cano off on them? 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2021 Roster
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:40 pm 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:37 am
Posts: 26071
Location: charleston, sc
Lindor is a great young player. That doesn't mean he is a great investment. Mets are deep-ish at shortstop...not nearly the impact potential as Lindor, but still deep. And he is not quite in Betts' ballpark.

They are shallow in center (no pun intended), pitching frontline and depth and actually OF corners. That's a lot of work to do.

And being creative at other positions will mean playing people out of position (I thought Dom made better strides in LF than given credit for). Cano is NOT a 3B.

Besides, just wait for him to hit the market and use money.

_________________
"The most potent weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed." Steven Biko


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2021 Roster
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:52 pm 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:37 am
Posts: 26071
Location: charleston, sc
TomInNC wrote:
He had a higher Slg than Davis or McNeil. He his .280

He's not a one trick pony, though his main trick, getting on base is very good and repeatable.

He's also been forced to play out of position much of his career. Leave him alone in LF, let him get on base ahead of the sluggers.


I would trade Davis long before Nimmo. And I am not necessarily saying to trade Davis either.

Nimmo in LF is more than adequate if there is a DH. We also have no depth there and the last thing we want to do is put money toward a corner outfielder.

I think Davis' has become somewhat problematic since he really doesn't have a position to play well. For all of the press that he was settling in at third, he wasn't. Dom made more progress in LF than Davis at 3rd. But as a flexible bench bat he is a great asset.

_________________
"The most potent weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed." Steven Biko


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2021 Roster
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:39 pm 
Offline
Practically A Wilpon

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:45 pm
Posts: 9332
Yes, I'd rather Davis "have" to play a couple times a week than say Todd Frazier


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2021 Roster
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:26 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Rookie

Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:03 pm
Posts: 977
jdawginsc wrote:
Lindor is a great young player. That doesn't mean he is a great investment. Mets are deep-ish at shortstop...not nearly the impact potential as Lindor, but still deep. And he is not quite in Betts' ballpark.

They are shallow in center (no pun intended), pitching frontline and depth and actually OF corners. That's a lot of work to do.

And being creative at other positions will mean playing people out of position (I thought Dom made better strides in LF than given credit for). Cano is NOT a 3B.

Besides, just wait for him to hit the market and use money.



.... is Amed Rosario good? Like, I get the Gimenez thing when you consider the years, but Rosario is entering ARB, still doesn't walk and has often struggled at short?

_________________
I rag on the Mets because they can do better.
Trade for Francisco Lindor and give him a Betts-like contract
I want 40-50 new hires for the front office, scouting, and analytics department
Bring back the black jerseys


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2021 Roster
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:00 am 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:37 am
Posts: 26071
Location: charleston, sc
MetsWhiz93 wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:
Lindor is a great young player. That doesn't mean he is a great investment. Mets are deep-ish at shortstop...not nearly the impact potential as Lindor, but still deep. And he is not quite in Betts' ballpark.

They are shallow in center (no pun intended), pitching frontline and depth and actually OF corners. That's a lot of work to do.

And being creative at other positions will mean playing people out of position (I thought Dom made better strides in LF than given credit for). Cano is NOT a 3B.

Besides, just wait for him to hit the market and use money.



.... is Amed Rosario good? Like, I get the Gimenez thing when you consider the years, but Rosario is entering ARB, still doesn't walk and has often struggled at short?


I actually have Rosario as a chip, with Gimenez, Guillorme (a sleeper) and Mauricio a few years away. That's the depth. And that doesn't include Palmer who I think is going to be an exciting prospect soon.

_________________
"The most potent weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed." Steven Biko


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2021 Roster
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:38 am 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Hall of Famer

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:04 am
Posts: 5666
HeyNowHK wrote:
TomInNC wrote:
Nimmo is a much better player than Davis. I don't think you're selling high on Nimmo this year, this is at least what he is when healthy. The eye won't go away so he's protected against slumps. I'm less sure what Davis is, but Davis on the bench replaces Frazier.

at least...? Nimmo hit this year about what he hit in 2018. Now that’s his floor?

People have been all over the map on Nimmo from quadA to 4th OFer to all-star. But 387 wOBA is the least a healthy Nimmo will hit? Even I’m not ready to go that far on him... and I’ve been a believer all along. I still believe but think at 2 years from FA, his value is prob at its peak and they’re so loaded with LHed bats. Better to deal him coming off a strong year than otherwise. Yeah sometimes you have to give to get.


You say you’re a believer but keep trying to trade him. He’s had a 148 wRC+ two of the past three years (and the year he didn’t he had a herniated disk in his neck).

People say he’s a one trick pony but he had one less home run than Conforto this year (in a year everyone said was Scooter’s career year).

Nimmo is the last player the Mets should be trading. Is he a good defender in CF? No; but put him in left and watch him rack up .400 OBPs with good LF defense and worry about other things.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2021 Roster
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:45 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:11 am
Posts: 30917
Location: NYC
richiel1 wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
TomInNC wrote:
Nimmo is a much better player than Davis. I don't think you're selling high on Nimmo this year, this is at least what he is when healthy. The eye won't go away so he's protected against slumps. I'm less sure what Davis is, but Davis on the bench replaces Frazier.

at least...? Nimmo hit this year about what he hit in 2018. Now that’s his floor?

People have been all over the map on Nimmo from quadA to 4th OFer to all-star. But 387 wOBA is the least a healthy Nimmo will hit? Even I’m not ready to go that far on him... and I’ve been a believer all along. I still believe but think at 2 years from FA, his value is prob at its peak and they’re so loaded with LHed bats. Better to deal him coming off a strong year than otherwise. Yeah sometimes you have to give to get.


You say you’re a believer but keep trying to trade him.

And..?

Again, no one has to tell me what Nimmo is. Go back to 2013 and look at what people were saying then. I’m prob the only one firmly supporting Nimmo continuously since then. Regardless of supporting him or not, I recognize that the roster has 2 or 3 players whose logical position is LF and so they may as well cash in the surplus while the value is there. I was all about putting McNeil at 3B this yr but he appeared not up to the task. If they don’t move Nimmo, then I would try McNeil again at 3B... he’s obviously not going to play 2B. But if you want a better defensive solution at 3B, then where else is Jeff going to play?? And if they are going to move on from Nimmo playing CF, then you have a logjam in LF.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2021 Roster
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:52 am 
User avatar
Offline
Rookie

Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:03 pm
Posts: 977
we should be trying to take talent from all four of these teams' scouting/development departments.

_________________
I rag on the Mets because they can do better.
Trade for Francisco Lindor and give him a Betts-like contract
I want 40-50 new hires for the front office, scouting, and analytics department
Bring back the black jerseys


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2021 Roster
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:58 am 
User avatar
Offline
Everyday Player

Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 10:07 am
Posts: 1340
Location: Studio 54
The elephant in the room is Robinson Cano. Getting him off the roster means Nimmo can go back to left and McNeil to second. My first order of business would be to move Robbie to anywhere for most of his salary. Get a few career minor leaguers in return.

And yes, if the Yankees wanted him, I would make the deal. Now, there's a statement!

_________________
"Hope for the best, expect the Mets!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2021 Roster
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:11 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:11 am
Posts: 30917
Location: NYC
Disco Ball wrote:
The elephant in the room is Robinson Cano. Getting him off the roster means Nimmo can go back to left and McNeil to second. My first order of business would be to move Robbie to anywhere for most of his salary. Get a few career minor leaguers in return.

And yes, if the Yankees wanted him, I would make the deal. Now, there's a statement!

Cano’s no elephant in the room; he’s the 2Bman.

DJLM and Brandon Lowe..... the two 2Bmen better than Cano this season. That’s it. 896 OPS, 376 wOBA... best numbers since 2013. Why are they trying to move that...? And they’re going to pay most of his salary to do it... and to net a couple of career minor leaguers...?? Where does this Cano hatred come from?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2021 Roster
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:01 pm 
Offline
Rookie

Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:36 pm
Posts: 875
HeyNowHK wrote:
Disco Ball wrote:
The elephant in the room is Robinson Cano. Getting him off the roster means Nimmo can go back to left and McNeil to second. My first order of business would be to move Robbie to anywhere for most of his salary. Get a few career minor leaguers in return.

And yes, if the Yankees wanted him, I would make the deal. Now, there's a statement!

Cano’s no elephant in the room; he’s the 2Bman.

DJLM and Brandon Lowe..... the two 2Bmen better than Cano this season. That’s it. 896 OPS, 376 wOBA... best numbers since 2013. Why are they trying to move that...? And they’re going to pay most of his salary to do it... and to net a couple of career minor leaguers...?? Where does this Cano hatred come from?


Cano is old and put up good numbers playing half his time at DH in a shortened season.

That hardly seems like a reason to play him over good players 10 years younger than him.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 28  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MazzilliTheMet and 199 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


FIND AN AA MEETING | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL BEST SELLERS | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GET HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | VETERAN TIPS ON CRAFT DIY RECIPES | FIND ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB LOCAL NEW OR USED BOOK STORE | KNICKS BLOG FORUM BOARDS | © Untraditional Media