Franchise Player

"I get knocked down,
but I get up again.
You're never gonna
keep me down..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:40 pm 
Veteran Presence

I'm really nervous now. Mota is falling apart and Billy Wagner is known for choking in the postseason, and he didn't do much to instill confidence in my last night. And we've got two below-average starters going over the next two nights. We're going to have to score runs in bunches over the next few days; and even that won't guarantee anything (look at last night).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:55 pm 
Franchise Player

metsrule0423 wrote:
I'm really nervous now. Mota is falling apart and Billy Wagner is known for choking in the postseason, and he didn't do much to instill confidence in my last night. And we've got two below-average starters going over the next two nights. We're going to have to score runs in bunches over the next few days; and even that won't guarantee anything (look at last night).

I was nervous earlier too...

We will win, and it will be glorious... And I'm not just talking about this one game...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:18 pm 
NYFS Staff

We won all I never expected on September 16th. Everything after has been gravy for me. My projection was compete for the crown in 07.

They are 12.5 months ahead for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:21 pm 
Veteran Presence

metswiki wrote:
A week ago we had no chance because Pedro and El Duque were done for the season. Now it's a travesty because it's game 3 of the NLCS and we're no longer undefeated in the postseason.

I can't fathom that fans of a team that was down 3 games to 2 and losing in the ninth with 2 outs and no one on, and still came back to win the series in '86, can think that a single postseason loss is such an unovercomeable marker of doom.

If I didn't have to read/edit/delete so many threads, I'd find it amusingly laughable.

One of the problems is that many/most of the posters writing these "must jump off the bridge" posts weren't around to experience 1986. Those of us who were--and whose first Mets experience was that postseason--have a different perspective.

I'd like to see how many bridge-jumpers are between the agest of 18-26. I'd say 70%

I'd also bet most "it's only one loss"ers are 30+.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:23 pm 
Veteran Presence

johnnypark wrote:
One of the problems is that many/most of the posters writing these "must jump off the bridge" posts weren't around to experience 1986. Those of us who were--and whose first Mets experience was that postseason--have a different perspective.

I'd like to see how many bridge-jumpers are between the agest of 18-26. I'd say 70%

Big difference, the 1986 team had terrific starting pitching. I have no confidence in our starters outside of Tom Glavine going 7 strong innings, especially on the road. But I will keep the faith!!! LGM!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:27 pm 
Veteran Presence

metsrule0423 wrote:
johnnypark wrote:

Big difference, the 1986 team had terrific starting pitching. I have no confidence in our starters outside of Tom Glavine going 7 strong innings, especially on the road. But I will keep the faith!!! LGM!!!

And Boston had a much better staff than St. Louis does now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:29 pm 
NYFS Staff

johnnypark wrote:
metsrule0423 wrote:
johnnypark wrote:

And Boston had a much better staff than St. Louis does now.

So did Oakland in 1973, and we almost pulled that off as the underdog...

...oh, wait, scratch that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:55 am 
MVP

The only thing that would piss me off would be to have 2 more like losses like tonight.

If we lose the next 2 8-7 and 9-5, what can you do? The team suffered devastating injuries. Other teams wouldn't have gotten out of the NLDS. Think about it, #1 and #3 starter, Starting LFer, and don't forget top setup man lost in July, which forced Omar to downgrade RF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:58 am 
All Star

People continue to overlook the fact that

WE HAVE NO STARTING PITCHING......Outside of Glavine.

And he will be going on 3 days rest which is a death knell in and of itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:00 am 
All Star

We also had clutch hitting back in '86.

Where is that?

Also, even if we were by a miracle, to win this series.

We would be going against a Tigers team that is hungry, supremely well-rested with a stocked and organized rotation set for the World Series.

Sure, we all hope for the best.

But, come on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:27 am 
MVP

Trachsel deflated my balloon. Green and his great belly flop too.

That was me watching it on TV. Picture the hitters in front of a packed house and national tv audience. I could understand how their mental state effected them to the point where Suppan looked like Superman.

They'll bounce back. Even if Perez bombs in the first inning I think. Tomorrow there'll be an enormous sense of urgency.