MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:02 am 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:43 pm
Posts: 41318
Thejurisdoc wrote:
I do not know much about Hockey, but it sounds like this is very exciting news for the Rangers.

To Rufus: why will it be hard to root for him? Only because he was a Devil, or are there character issues with him?

Also, didn't the Rangers draft some potential stud this draft? Alexei Cherepanov - I just looked him up. where does he fit into the plans?


it's likely he's going to have to play one more year overseas due to contractual obligations. But most teams thought he'd be tied up for at least two years, which is why he dropped to 17, though he was the best european player scouted in the draft.

_________________
It's all in the reflexes.

~Jack Burton


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:23 am 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:15 pm
Posts: 39138
Location: The District
jpkmets wrote:
Drury is Great.

Losing briere and drury is just crushing to the sabres!

AWESOME!


What's the line on "Zero Major franchises in Buffalo in 10 years?"

_________________
“Patience is not a virtue unless you take advantage of it by exercising it well,” Alderson said. “Patience is only part of a strategy.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:32 am 
User avatar
Offline
Veteran Presence

Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:36 pm
Posts: 4869
Location: Portland, OR
chinabox wrote:
jpkmets wrote:
Drury is Great.

Losing briere and drury is just crushing to the sabres!

AWESOME!


What's the line on "Zero Major franchises in Buffalo in 10 years?"


You know, I'm sorry, but the Sabres really screwed this up. The "we're in a small market and couldn't afford to bring at least one of these guys back" thing is bologna with the hard cap and floor that are in place.

It's too bad because the fans up there are really passionate and will come out to support a winning team.

_________________
did you ever wake up with bullfrogs on your mind?
tadpoles swimming up and down your spine?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:58 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Veteran Presence

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:41 pm
Posts: 4708
Thejurisdoc wrote:
To Rufus: why will it be hard to root for him? Only because he was a Devil, or are there character issues with him?


Just because he was a Devil and he was probably my least favorite Devil since Scott Stevens.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:27 pm 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:27 pm
Posts: 23484
Rangers fans will love Scott Gomez as soon as he dons the uniform for the first time.

His puck-rushing ability is tremendous, his vision is excellent, and his passing is unbelievable. He is a great guy and a terrific hockey player.

He will be terrific in Ranger blue.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:04 pm 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Historian

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:26 pm
Posts: 7695
Location: Hanging Out at the Village Green
This was an awesome job by Sather....A) up the middle was a glaring weakness on this team B) by all accounts both are great locker room guys C) still have 12 million to take care of Avery/Shanny/Prucha and Henrik is still restricted for 2 more years D) Drury is great at face-offs and is an above average penalty killer (which is why I believe he will anchor the 2nd line)

_________________
Marc Carig ‏@MarcCarig 9m9 minutes ago

"Terry did a masterful job tonight." Alderson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:03 pm 
User avatar
Offline
MVP

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:43 pm
Posts: 2960
Location: Raleigh, NC
The Drury signing was good, but Gomez not so much.

You would think that if Sather would have learned anything after the lockout, is that a team is not always best built with a bunch of stars.

_________________
"Groundball up the middle...PAST a diving Jeter!"..
John Sterling, during any Skank game.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:03 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Everyday Player

Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:59 pm
Posts: 1486
Softwhere wrote:
The Drury signing was excellent, but Gomez not so much.

You would think that if Sather would have learned anything after the lockout, is that a team is not always best built with a bunch of stars.


Seven years from now I have a feeling that the Gomez signing will be tough to defend.

_________________
Weeeeeeeee!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:04 pm 
User avatar
Offline
MVP

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:43 pm
Posts: 2960
Location: Raleigh, NC
Robot Devil wrote:
Softwhere wrote:
The Drury signing was good, but Gomez not so much.

You would think that if Sather would have learned anything after the lockout, is that a team is not always best built with a bunch of stars.


Seven years from now I have a feeling that the Gomez signing will be tough to defend.

I don't think you have to wait that long.

I know its very early, but this is beginning to look like the old addage of "you can buy players, but you can not buy chemistry"

_________________
"Groundball up the middle...PAST a diving Jeter!"..
John Sterling, during any Skank game.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:23 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Everyday Player

Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:59 pm
Posts: 1486
Softwhere wrote:
Robot Devil wrote:
Softwhere wrote:
The Drury signing was good, but Gomez not so much.

You would think that if Sather would have learned anything after the lockout, is that a team is not always best built with a bunch of stars.


Seven years from now I have a feeling that the Gomez signing will be tough to defend.

I don't think you have to wait that long.

I know its very early, but this is beginning to look like the old addage of "you can buy players, but you can not buy chemistry"


That's absolutely correct.

Hockey is a fluid game.

Plugging two new centericemen into the top 2 lines means your 4 most counted on wingers have to completely adjust to the way they play.

Chemistry takes time and is completely unpredictable- sometimes it takes weeks, sometimes months, sometimes years.

And, sometimes, it doesn't pan out at all.

I believe the Rangers will hit their stride at some point later this season and they'll make the playoffs.

But, they won't be the Cup contenders that some were tauting them as.

They're an average hockey team.

_________________
Weeeeeeeee!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:40 pm 
Offline
Prospect

Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:32 pm
Posts: 244
Robot Devil wrote:
Softwhere wrote:
Robot Devil wrote:
Softwhere wrote:
The Drury signing was good, but Gomez not so much.

You would think that if Sather would have learned anything after the lockout, is that a team is not always best built with a bunch of stars.


Seven years from now I have a feeling that the Gomez signing will be tough to defend.

I don't think you have to wait that long.

I know its very early, but this is beginning to look like the old addage of "you can buy players, but you can not buy chemistry"


That's absolutely correct.

Hockey is a fluid game.

Plugging two new centericemen into the top 2 lines means your 4 most counted on wingers have to completely adjust to the way they play.

Chemistry takes time and is completely unpredictable- sometimes it takes weeks, sometimes months, sometimes years.

And, sometimes, it doesn't pan out at all.

I believe the Rangers will hit their stride at some point later this season and they'll make the playoffs.

But, they won't be the Cup contenders that some were tauting them as.

They're an average hockey team.


I don't agree with that. The main problem is that they're not finding the back of the net, despite the 30-35 SOG they put up each night. Obviously chemistry is still an issue and the injuries are starting to pile up, but I still feel like this is a good team who will turn it around sooner than later. I'd be more worried if they were giving up a ton of goals, but there's only a handful of teams who have given up less than the Rangers have at this point. There aren't too many goalies who are better than Lundqvist and with an offense that is due to score some goals, they won't be an average team for long.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:40 am 
User avatar
Offline
MVP

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:43 pm
Posts: 2960
Location: Raleigh, NC
aeroclearica wrote:
I don't agree with that. The main problem is that they're not finding the back of the net, despite the 30-35 SOG they put up each night. Obviously chemistry is still an issue and the injuries are starting to pile up, but I still feel like this is a good team who will turn it around sooner than later. I'd be more worried if they were giving up a ton of goals, but there's only a handful of teams who have given up less than the Rangers have at this point. There aren't too many goalies who are better than Lundqvist and with an offense that is due to score some goals, they won't be an average team for long.


I agree that they are better then an average team, but they certainly are not the juggernaut that some media and Ranger fans were making them out to be. It looks like the defense is coming through, as I predicted, but the offense just isn't as good as advertised. Nylander has and will continue to be missed while Gomez will continue to be a dissapointment. Drury will have a good year, no where near what he is being paid like, but he is not a huge improvement over Cullen. In the end, the Ranger will be a playoff team, but I just don't see them being any better off then last year.

BTW, Injuries are part of the game and should rarely be used as an excuse.

_________________
"Groundball up the middle...PAST a diving Jeter!"..
John Sterling, during any Skank game.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


SUPPORT NYFS VIA OUR NETWORK OF SITES: FIND AN AA MEETING | FIND A JOB NEAR YOU | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | HOME REPAIR CONTRACTOR BUILDER AC HEAT | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT AND RESOURCES | THE SOULCIALISTS LIVE LOCAL PIANO MUSIC TREASURE COAST | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT NEAR YOU | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GOLF BEACH RESORT HOTELS RESTAURANTS BED BREAKFAST | HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | METRO BUS TRAIN SUBWAY AIRPORT HELIPORT | VETERAN TIPS CRAFT DIY RECIPES | ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS NEAR YOU | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL HEALTHY HEART DIABETIC RESTAURANTS AND STORES | CHURCH TEMPLE MOSQUE OR PLACE OF WORSHIP NEAR YOU | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB | SUICIDE HOTLINE DANIELLE COLBERT PHOTO MUG SHOT | © Untraditional Media

The%20Soulcialists