MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: A trade we SHOULD explore?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:57 am 
Legend of NYFS

Quote:
In a report for the Globe and Mail in Toronto, Jeff Blair reports the Blue Jays will essentially give away Alex Rios or Vernon Wells, so long as it saves them money to help re-sign Roy Halladay, who is a free agent at the end of next season.

http://www.metsblog.com/2009/06/30/buzz ... and-wells/

I am FAR from an Alex Rios Fan boy but "giving him away" I'll take Rios for Antonini and Stoner if they want to GIVE him away

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:01 am 
Legend of NYFS

He's owed 5/60 and is virtually the same player as Ryan Church.

No thanks.

Edit: Unless we can get rid of Luis Castillo in the deal.

The wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

brodie is the worst GM in the history of Earth

matlack72 wrote:
I find this talk about Kelenic comical. He's a 19 year old kid who hit .253 at Kingsport
and struck out once a game and people are talking like he's the second coming. Get real people. When you have a chance to get the best reliever in the game who's only 24 and give up Kelenic in the deal, you MAKE that deal. Stop with the nonsense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:02 am 
Legend of NYFS

Was just gonna post this.

While the contract is a little heavy, its not crazy for a player of his potential and the likelihood of it looking "reasonable" by the end (with the turnaround of the economy and him hopefully maturing) is probably pretty good.

Can play CF now and shift to a corner when Beltran comes back.

You hope he becomes the Beltran Jr. everyone predicted he would be, but even now hes a very good player, kind of a more athletic, higher upside, right handed Church.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:03 am 
Legend of NYFS

We're going to help them resign hallady why?

If you're gonna take on that level of money get carlos lee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:04 am 
Fan Favorite

Sounds good, but with the way ownership has thrown nickels around like manhole covers lately, I think we have to look at the cost vs. level of production of everyone we add to this team. If we take on salary and don't get production in line with that salary, we are going to have to live with it. I don't think the Wilpons will be spending like they did pre-Madoff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:06 am 
Legend of NYFS

Why would we want to do anything to help them lock up Roy Halladay?

8)

8)

Post subject:
Legend of NYFS

2009: 5.9/2 = 2.95
2010: 9.7
2011: 12
2012: 12
2013: 12.5
2014: 12.5
2015: 13.5 (1 mil buyout)

Minus Castillo:

2009: wash
2010: 3.7
2011: 6
2012: 12
2013: 12.5
2014: 12.5
2015: 13.5 (1 mil buyout)

So, 6 years @ 47.7 mil (incl the buyout).

Castillo, Stoner and Duda for Rios.

Eh. Still not sure if we should be biting on that.

matlack72 wrote:
I find this talk about Kelenic comical. He's a 19 year old kid who hit .253 at Kingsport
and struck out once a game and people are talking like he's the second coming. Get real people. When you have a chance to get the best reliever in the game who's only 24 and give up Kelenic in the deal, you MAKE that deal. Stop with the nonsense.

Post subject:
Legend of NYFS

Tej- he kind of is like Church, as I mention in my post, but esentially does everything a little bit better than Ryan.

Chruch is a very good defender- Rios is arguably the best RF in the game.

Church has sneaky speed- Rios is a 25 SB guy.

Church has good gap to gap pop ( or did)- Rios has already flashed 20+ HR pop.

Plus Rios is 2 yrs younger.

So if you took all the positives of Ryan's game, and made them just a notch better to the next level, you'd have Rios. And people still believe he's going to get much better. You ALWAYS hear the Beltran comps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:08 am 
Fan Favorite

Taking on marginal talent owed big money sounds like a page from the Isiah Thomas book on how to build a team. Rios will have trouble hitting a dozen homeruns at Citifield.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:18 am 
NYFS Staff

I'd be OK with two Ryan Churchs at the corner outfield spots right now, but I doubt the Wilpons take on that salary without the Jays taking on some for this year. Rios is someone, if reasonably cheap, I'd be OK with. Plays hard, gritty, fantastic defender, more of a 6/7 hitter than anything else. Not so great plate discipline...

I like Rios, but I bet the story is only half right. I think they'd much prefer to jettison Wells' contract and will price the both accordingly.

Honestly, other than Castillo, we really do not have any salary to shed. We need Schneider and Cora. Church is cheap. Pitching staff is cheap other than the mainstays/core. Everyone else is disabled, and other than Putz, are core guys, or contracts set to expire.

The Jays do not need Castillo with Aaron Hill (who cannot play shortstop), so it would depend on whether the Jays would send money, or the Wilpons would bear the brunt of the remaining contract.

He sort of becomes immovable for Omar if obtained though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:19 am 
Draft Pick

Castillo, Stoner and Duda for Rios.

where does castillo play on jays. they have an excellent 2b now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:20 am 
Legend of NYFS

ESPNhater wrote:
Taking on marginal talent owed big money sounds like a page from the Isiah Thomas book on how to build a team. Rios will have trouble hitting a dozen homeruns at Citifield.

matlack72 wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next