MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where does Tim Tebow rank among our OF Prospects.
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:08 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Criteria. Former major leaguers signed on minor league deals don't count, even if they are rookie eligible, so, no Ty Kellys, Bryce Brentzes or Matt Den Deckers. Nothing against those guys, even if some of them are still rookie and prospect eligible.

Also, footnote - no extended spring training guys, just A-AAA.

Call me crazy, but Tebow's pretty close to the top right now. Who am I overlooking?

Kacz? Sure, when he starts playing.

Biondi? I think I have Tebow ahead of him.

Mora? Taylor? Urena (he's getting starts in the OF, any word on how he looks out there?)

Tebow is currently 3rd in the Rumble Ponies in OPS. He's striking out a ton, but he's still 3rd (not by a big margin however).

Lindsay probably gets ranked above him on tools alone, even if he's struggling at the plate and Strom is hitting OK but Tebow has a better OPS than him too.

Brody and maybe Winnaker are a little interesting, but if I had to make a list right now, Tebow might be #3.

1) Lindsay - because he's the only one with interesting tools and for all is flaws, he has a good eye at the plate. Eye at the plate, glove and athleticism keeps him at the top spot among current met OF prospects.

2) Brody - far from a perfect prospect. The K rate and low average are concerns but his team leading 5 homers is enough to push him into the #2 spot.

3) . . . I might go with Tebow here. Yes, he's not good, but he's shown improvement. He's got a loose hold on the #3 spot for me right now in part cause he's showing improvement. But when Kacz returns, Kacz probably bumps him.

This says more about how bad the mets are at developing OFs as it says about Tebow's improvement, but if you'd asked me a year ago if I thought Tebow would be in this discussion at all, I'd have said no way.

Post subject: Re: Where does Tim Tebow rank among our OF Prospects.
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:39 pm 
NYFS Staff

If he makes it to the majors on merit, he's a great story. If he makes it as circus sideshow, it's an embarrassment.

That said, he's at AA, and out producing more pedigreed players. That's impressive enough to rank in the top 7 or 8 outfield talents in the system...however that is also an indictment on our system...

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:38 pm 
General Manager

It always amazes me how OF prospects appear toy grow on trees in other organizations. Not the Mets.

I'm not sure how Tebow's 43% K Rate translates but I am guessing not many 30 year olds in AA with the similar K Rate make it past AA.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:15 pm 
All Star

dragonfly wrote:
It always amazes me how OF prospects appear toy grow on trees in other organizations. Not the Mets.

I'm not sure how Tebow's 43% K Rate translates but I am guessing not many 30 year olds in AA with the similar K Rate make it past AA.

Except Tebow, who is getting promoted all the way to the HoF :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:11 pm 
Blue Chipper

I would put Lindsey, Brodey, Winaker & Urena ahead of Tebow...

If Kaz & Lagrange were healthy, they would both be ahead too

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:59 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Metsfan980 wrote:
dragonfly wrote:

Except Tebow, who is getting promoted all the way to the HoF :twisted:

He kind of deserves a footnote. How many guys can go without picking up a bat for more than a decade and be passable in organized baseball, let alone in the high minors?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:22 pm 
Legend of NYFS

northway wrote:

He kind of deserves a footnote. How many guys can go without picking up a bat for more than a decade and be passable in organized baseball, let alone in the high minors?

As far as I know there's only been two. Michael Jordan being the other one. Jordan impressed me even more He was 31 when he started, to Tebow's 28 and he went straight to AA. Yes his OPS was lousy, but I was still impressed that it wasn't worse.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:25 pm 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
northway wrote:

As far as I know there's only been two. Michael Jordan being the other one. Jordan impressed me even more He was 31 when he started, to Tebow's 28 and he went straight to AA. Yes his OPS was lousy, but I was still impressed that it wasn't worse.

Michael Jordan was significantly worse in AA than Tebow has been, yet the narrative around Jordan was how impressive he was and Tebow's narrative has been "what a joke!!!"

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:42 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:
northway wrote:

Michael Jordan was significantly worse in AA than Tebow has been, yet the narrative around Jordan was how impressive he was and Tebow's narrative has been "what a joke!!!"

Na, Jordan was mocked pretty hard for hitting .196 (or whatever it was).

Big time baseball fans who followed the minors noted how impressive he was all things considered, and also felt he could have been a legit prospect had he played the sport full time out of college.

But the casual baseball fan and non baseball fan "LOL'd" Jordan's AA stint.

I remember it because I defended MJ's season to anyone who would listen.

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:22 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Daaaarryyl wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Na, Jordan was mocked pretty hard for hitting .196 (or whatever it was).

Big time baseball fans who followed the minors noted how impressive he was all things considered, and also felt he could have been a legit prospect had he played the sport full time out of college.

But the casual baseball fan and non baseball fan "LOL'd" Jordan's AA stint.

I remember it because I defended MJ's season to anyone who would listen.

I seem to recall that Jordan was mocked at the time, but years later people (me among them) took a look and realized that for a 31 year old in AA who hadn't swung a bat in 10 years . . . Jordan did OK.

I've always wondered how accurate the space jam bit was. I don't think catchers would tell him when to swing, but I also don't see pitchers brushing him back and giving him a hard time either.

And Tebow's first season in AFL he hit as bad as Jordan. Lower average, higher slugging. Jordan had speed and may have played a decent CF too. Tebow had power potential from the start, so both guys came in with 1 solid tool and a lot to learn. As I recall, Jordan had the best speed, home plate to first of his entire minor league team.

I think both guys were probably first round pick talents out of HS though I don't know if Jordan played much baseball in HS.

Anyhoo - not make a big deal out of it. Point of this thread was really that Tebow has gone from a complete non prospect to as good as anyone else outside of the top 50.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:14 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

I also recall that Sports Center had a lot of fun at Jordan's expense showing videos of him striking out, misplaying balls and getting picked off and stuff. Not just showing the footage but laughing and making jokes.

Before regional cable sports channels, Sports Center was a huge must see every night throughout the 1990's. And everyone seemed to have seen the MJ "bloopers" segment on a daily basis.

MJ took offense to that and had a bit of a grudge with ESPN when he returned to BB.

Also, I remember Randy Johnson saying he'd like to go one on one with MJ in BB and then face him as a hitter.

Saying something like "I'll embarrass him more on the baseball diamond then he'd embarass me in a basketball game." (paraphrasing)

As for Tebow, yeah I think had he been drafted out of HS and played only baseball he'd have a chance to be a major leaguer.

Maybe a pretty good one.

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:58 pm 
All Star

I think most people were sure that Jordan was a single season sideshow before he came back to the NBA, and the strike cemented it. The Bulls and White Sox had the same owner, and I think he was still under his NBA contract.

I was always impressed that he stole 30 bases that season!