MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Where does Tim Tebow rank among our OF Prospects.
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:36 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Those same folks (the Keith Law's, etc.) have mocked the Tebow stuff from the start. Hell, here, if we go back to the Tebow signing thread, people mocked about how he was taking spots from "real" minor leaguers who "paid their dues."

But now that Tebow is proving to be a solid minor leaguer he hasn't been mocked.

Do you believe Tebow is a major leaguer?

If no, then why would Law saying he agrees with you be mocking Tebow?

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:53 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Sombrero for Tim T tonight.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:18 pm 
Rookie

He hit a single in his fifth PA (although he was thrown out at second) so... No longer a golden sombrero, I guess.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:28 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I think the 4 K's qualifies.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:51 am 
All Star

traditionally
hat trick = 3 Ks
sombrero = 4 Ks
Golden Sombrero = 5 Ks

has this changed?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:05 am 
NYFS Staff

Golden sombrero is 4 Ks, platinum sombrero is 5 Ks

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:13 am 
Rookie

I thought it had to be an 0for. Guess not?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:30 am 
General Manager

Guess it’s safe to say Tebow has passed Michael Jordan as a baseball player at least

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:40 am 
Legend of NYFS

And that was Tebow's 3rd golden. He's working his way up to a platinum.

As far as the Tebow "prospect conversation" goes, anyone in AA is arguably a prospect on a proximity to the majors basis alone. So, if his proximity to the majors is a source of kumbaya for some people, far be it for me to get in the way.

As far as real worthiness goes, he's not even close. Is there even one average tool that carries him to the show? If the argument were that his prodigious power offsets his olympian swing and miss problem, but the power is a myth. He has all of 12 HRs in 615 PAs. (Levi Michael has more HRs this year). His K rate leads all of AA and is like top 3 in all the minor leagues. And his groundball rate is ridiculous (when he makes contact). He's also got 11 errors in the OF in 101 games.

If he weren't Tim Tebow, he would never be mentioned here. The fact that he's in AA and has gotten ridiculously lucky on balls in play thus far (25 of 57 have fallen in), is providing a nice mirage and perpetuating the fun storyline. It's also a commentary on how thin the OF is within the system. Look, he's a terrific athlete to have gotten this far. Kudos to him for that. But I don't think this sideshow ought to go any further than it has. It's made for some nice marketing opportunities and some positive attention that he attracts, but I think this is up against the line of integrity now.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:13 pm 
Rookie

I think the only chance he gets a call-up is if we're 20 games out in September and one of our major OFers is shut down for some reason. At that point, who cares? I don't know that I'd rather see Brentz or den Dekker get time in that case, "integrity of the game" be darned (although I'd rather see den Dekker if crap hit the fan regarding injury and we actually needed him for important ABs).

He's never going to get meaningful ABs in the majors, of course.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:23 pm 
NYFS Staff

His average exit velocity is 95 MPH this season, which is elite. Are you sure he’s been lucky on balls in play?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:18 pm 
NYFS Staff

sluger11787 wrote:
His average exit velocity is 95 MPH this season, which is elite. Are you sure he’s been lucky on balls in play?

Tebow's? Wow that is surprising.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next