MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018 New York Mets Draft Selections & Signing Status
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:43 am 
Legend of NYFS

Clarke probably had a number they weren't going to reach, and now it's spend it or lose it.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:08 am 
NYFS Staff

R Nitelight wrote:
Clarke probably had a number they weren't going to reach, and now it's spend it or lose it.

8)

At least spend it toward some of the high-schoolers...even Piccolo...?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:32 am 
Legend of NYFS

jdawginsc wrote:
R Nitelight wrote:

8)

Assuming Mejia really wanted to pitch for the hometown school Clarke is the only one who's going to get away.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:21 am 
Rookie

jdawginsc wrote:
R Nitelight wrote:

8)

I'm just not sure what you see in Cortes that makes you hate the pick so much that you would rather have not signed him? Or at least, what you love so much about a rather low-end collective group of 3rd day HS guys that you wish the Cortes money was allocated to?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:15 am 
NYFS Staff

degromination wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:
R Nitelight wrote:

8)

I'm just not sure what you see in Cortes that makes you hate the pick so much that you would rather have not signed him? Or at least, what you love so much about a rather low-end collective group of 3rd day HS guys that you wish the Cortes money was allocated to?

Having watched him off and on the past two years (I'm in SC), he is just not that impressive for an overslot deal. Not a particularly good fielder.

I think the wooden bat will tell the story. He went from 5.72 HR rate to a 2.56 with the Cape Cod league. If he becomes a gap hitter, he might be a pesky type guy.

Absolutely, I hope I am wrong. He's a Met, so he is now a guy I am rooting for to prove me stupid!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:11 am 
Legend of NYFS

They supposedly have about $200K left.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:16 am 
Everyday Player

HeyNowHK wrote:
They supposedly have about $200K left.

With the Cortes adjustment it's in the $233K range.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:24 pm 
Rookie

Looks like Perfect Game has raised the pay wall on their 2018 player rankings, for those that would like to compare teams.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:19 pm 
Legend of NYFS

With Rheams signed, the mets have signed 29 of their first 31. Hammer could still sign, right? That might make it 30. That's a respectable number.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:08 am 
Everyday Player

LTKfRGM wrote:
With Rheams signed, the mets have signed 29 of their first 31. Hammer could still sign, right? That might make it 30. That's a respectable number.

I've seen reports that Hammer is signing Thursday.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:59 am 
Legend of NYFS

I know a lot of people are disappointed with no Darcy or Clarke. I like this draft. Only time will tell, of course, but I think they got some good depth and nice upside.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:46 pm 
Rookie

LTKfRGM wrote:
I know a lot of people are disappointed with no Darcy or Clarke. I like this draft. Only time will tell, of course, but I think they got some good depth and nice upside.

I think we will find that we hit on our #1, and if so, nobody will care too much about the failings. So right off the bat I'm going solid B. I'd like to have seen some higher end lottery tickets late, but I think we balanced it out by getting some good foundational pieces for the system, such as advanced catcher, and relievers. But having so much potential money left over looks very bad for a team that wants to rebuild without rebuilding. I could see dropping them a full half-grade, or more, on that alone. Poor organization.

I think Jenista should have been the pick in round 2. To me that would have been the game-changer. He was a popular name around here, went one pick later than SWR, and signed for 300K under. So I think it's a a very reasonable shadow pick, and not a "hindsight is 50/50" play. What may be a hindsight pick might be Durbin Feltman in the 3rd. But if we liked Gilliam enough to overpay, in round 5, I'd rather have gone after the much more dominant option for slot in the 3rd. Adam Hill is fine in 4th (but again, if I'm going in that direction I like the higher-end version in Dylan Coleman).

So basically, my board ends up Kelenic/Jenista/Feltman/Hill or Coleman/and 1.3 million in savings..... vs Kelenic/SWR/Cortes/Hill/and somethin like 200K over? Honestly we could probably have gotten SWR in the 5th, cause I don't think he was gettin picked before round 11 if we didn't fall for him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next