MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: The non-Blow it up thread
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:52 pm 
All Star

HeyNowHK wrote:
Metsfan980 wrote:
I realize that this forum tends to be biased toward minor league potential, but when you have pitchers like deGrom, Thor, Matz, Wheeler, Gsellman, Lugo, and even Familia all in the prime of their career, along with hitters like Conforto and Nimmo in the early stages of promising careers, you have to build on that.

If you sell on those pieces now, then what are you ever building toward?

Practically every bad team could make that argument. The issue is that there isn't enough talent to contend. It's a .500 team at best. If they could wheel a few of those players into 6 or 7 solid young (upper minor, ML-ready, or pre-arb) players, it might put them in a better position to contend then this group will ever do.

Besides, each of the players you cited has an expiration date. Let's see them extend one or more of the 'core players'. They will neither commit to this group or cash any in. They're just stuck in purgatory.

That about sums it up. But also it's hard to win when you just have a core and nothing else. The way the Mets are set up, every injury is a devastating blow because they have nothing in the farm to help them (except for Alonso). We go through this song and dance constantly, we always decide not to trade a player until his value is at zero. I just have a feeling that this organization could go 0-162 and people would still say "but you can't trade DeGrom or Thor". I find it funny that when the White Sox traded Sale and Eaton, we were all amazed at the return they got. The White Sox built their farm up with basically two trades and lets be honest, watching the White Sox young players play is a lot more exciting than the mess thats going on in Queens. But truthfully if they do blow it up, Sandy has to gone from the organization. He's just a bad judge of talent. I'm still shaking my head that he turned down Tyler O'Neil for Lucus Duda at the trade deadline.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:18 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Keep Jake. Trade Noah.

Piggy-backing Sherman's article...

Noah, Familia and Bruce for Rodgers, Welker, Lambert and Shaw

Do it Sandy!

Nimmo - First 157 games, .264/.381/.454/.836 127OPS+
Conforto - First 165 games, .238/.319/.448/.767 107OPS+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:18 pm 
All Star

Ralf wrote:
Keep Jake. Trade Noah.

Piggy-backing Sherman's article...

Noah, Familia and Bruce for Rodgers, Welker, Lambert and Shaw

Do it Sandy!

If Bruce is in that deal, and all of the money owed to him, then there's no way the Rockies are including Rodgers and Welker in that deal. And that sort of seems like something the Mets would do, trade Thor and get a minimal return because ownership insisted that Bruce be included and the Rockies take on most of the salary.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:21 pm 
Blue Chipper

deGrom for Welker, Rodgers, Lambert should be enough. Don't see the need for Bruce or Familia in that deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:33 pm 
NYFS Staff

deGrom is low maintenance. Has the heart of a lion. Is home grown and a great story. Great teammate.

Do you think those things are replaceable easily? What if that trade is made and those prospects turn out to be Rosario and Smith (in the mind of a lot of posters)? What will your responses be?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:44 pm 
Blue Chipper

jdawginsc wrote:
deGrom is low maintenance. Has the heart of a lion. Is home grown and a great story. Great teammate.

Do you think those things are replaceable easily? What if that trade is made and those prospects turn out to be Rosario and Smith (in the mind of a lot of posters)? What will your responses be?

In bolded: Yes

To answer the second part: If their Rosario and Smith and I know we're rebuilding, I'd be fine with it. Just let the guys play. Not every prospect came up and provided star level play, ya know?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:19 pm 
General Manager

If you're trading one of the top pitchers in baseball they better come up and play like stars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:39 pm 
Blue Chipper

TomInNC wrote:
If you're trading one of the top pitchers in baseball they better come up and play like stars

I mean, of course, that would be nice. I'm not going to just get rid of young players because they don't produce elite level production right away.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:29 pm 
Manager

While we're talking deGrom trade and such, how does Gleybor Torres have 24 homers in 1,400 career MiLB AB and 13 in 155 MLB AB? Just unreal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:54 pm 
Prospect

We can talk about switching out this player for that one and kid ourselves that the 2nd wildcard remains in reach. However, the system is barren and the current management is responsible for both the dysfunctional major league roster and the lack of help on the way. Doing things on the cheap is what got the team into this mess. If they aren’t willing to blow it up then they need to put enough money into this off season to fix it. They can’t draft for crap anyway, so don’t worry about losing picks. Go all in on the free agent market. Luxury cap be dammed. They’ll have to deal with the budget until Wright and Ces come off the books.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:48 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

MetsWhiz93 wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:

In bolded: Yes

To answer the second part: If their Rosario and Smith and I know we're rebuilding, I'd be fine with it. Just let the guys play. Not every prospect came up and provided star level play, ya know?

Replaceable? Yes. Easily? No.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:06 pm 
All Star

dragonfly wrote:
While we're talking deGrom trade and such, how does Gleybor Torres have 24 homers in 1,400 career MiLB AB and 13 in 155 MLB AB? Just unreal.

Yeah something is going on that doesn't smell right with the Yanks. Judge could barely hit 20 homers in the minors, but all of a sudden he hits 52 last year and he's on a pace to hit 46 this year. Sanchez never hit 20 homers in the minors, but last year he's able to pop 33? Something isn't right. I know people are going to use excuses like Yankee Stadium is a band box, the juiced baseball, Yankee instructors are better. But I honestly believe that they are getting some illegal substances somewhere. People tend to forget that AROD never failed a drug test. And it is not believable that almost every Yankee rookie can outperform their AAA stats the second they step on a Yankee stadium field. And for the record one of the signs that Roids are coming back is when veterans who are old and thought to be finished all of a sudden are hitting or pitching like they are 27 years old again. Matt Kemp, Markakis to name 2 off the top of my head. Even Verlander is looking suspicious. A few years ago his velocity was down and he swore he wasn't hurt. All of a sudden he's popping high 90's again and no one questions how his velocity just came back out of no where.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next