MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Callaway's Replacement (when the time comes)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:02 pm 
Rookie

I think it's pretty safe to say that worst case scenario he lasts to the end of the 2019 season and then gets fired. Best case he's gone tomorrow though that's probably not happening.

But anyway going forward it's really imperative that we get a smart x's and o's guy who at the very least can command some respect in the locker room and not have the free fall quitfest we're seeing happening now under Meek Mickey.

I'm a big fan of Ventura. Think he'd do well here. His in game decisions are miles better than Mickeys. And the Sox played hard for him. They didn't have a ton of talent but they never quit on him. He was a manager of the year runner up one season as well.

Any other ideas? Girardi perhaps? Can we go to the Valentine well once more?

Post subject: Re: Callaway's Replacement (when the time comes)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:08 pm 
Legend of NYFS

It's more important to get talent on offense and the bullpen than it is to have a new manager. By the way I used to snicker at your screen name. Now I know....it's all true. :( LOL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:11 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Jose Reyes.

It'll be like Joe Torre II.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:12 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Lenny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:23 pm 
Rookie

The Wilpons need to fire the entire FO and Callaway ASAP. Bring in some sort of talent evaluator (I liked the idea of Bobby V that was floated here recently) to finish out the year with one eye squarely on evaluating the players on the roster.

This manager needs to have no current ties with the org and is just here to do one job---determine who in the current organization can and should be counted on moving forward. This man would have no emotional investment in any of the current players (one hopes), which might otherwise cloud his judgement. It would be clearly understood that he is not managing beyond the end of the season.

Make no major in-season deals, let Omar make any of the paperwork type decisions.

Then this offseason, get a new GM, who can leverage the interim manager's evaluations to build his own roster. This GM also gets to pick his own manager.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:29 pm 
Manager

Agree with disco
I said something similar in another thread

If there is a manager change and a blow up of the roster - a new GM should do that

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:29 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
Lenny

Harris?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:34 pm 
Rookie

bygranddesign wrote:
Agree with disco
I said something similar in another thread

If there is a manager change and a blow up of the roster - a new GM should do that

He should yes. I'm on-board for a new, more in touch GM with a better understanding of today's game. I just don't feel Sandy is getting canned however bad it gets. They like, trust, and are comfortable with him. He'll get a do over and get to conduct this latest flush/purge.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:38 pm 
Legend of NYFS

metswillkillyoursoul wrote:

He should yes. I'm on-board for a new, more in touch GM with a better understanding of today's game.

Is that like a new, more in touch manager with a better understanding of today's game?

8)

8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:43 pm 
Rookie

R Nitelight wrote:

He should yes. I'm on-board for a new, more in touch GM with a better understanding of today's game.

Is that like a new, more in touch manager with a better understanding of today's game?

8)

I'd take an out of touch old coot too right now over Callaway as long as he had respect of the players. Collins would be nice to have back right about now. Callaway doesn't understand how to make competent in game decisions. And players quit on him. It's hard to fashion a successful managerial career with those two elements working against you

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:44 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Girardi

I honestly don't care about winning or losing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:47 pm 
Legend of NYFS

R Nitelight wrote:

8)

I'd take an out of touch old coot too right now over Callaway as long as he had respect of the players. Collins would be nice to have back right about now. Callaway doesn't understand how to make competent in game decisions. And players quit on him. It's hard to fashion a successful managerial career with those two elements working against you

Players don't quit bc a manager flubs a double switch. This is just a silly narrative that does nothing but exonerate lousy players from being accountable.

These players mostly just suck. Face it. Many people said this was a .500 roster heading into the season so a lot of people aren't really surprised by any of this.