MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Should we blame Mickey for Harvey?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:14 pm 
Legend of NYFS

First, apologies if this thread stings a little bit. Harvey's found better control and a bit more velocity and he looks like a good pitcher who might fetch something nice this trade deadline. More than we're likely to get for Familia/Ascab/Mesoraco/Batista and whoever else we might move.

Harvey's last 4 starts, 24 innings, 22 hits, 3 walks, 1.88 ERA, 4 HBPs though. He's looking interesting at least. 20/20 hindsight suggests the mets should have tried to work with him. I know Harvey's a handful and I don't entirely blame the mets. I think a lot of this is on Harvey, but I can't help but wonder if a better manager would have tried to work things out with Harvey.

Am I wrong in thinking Mickey might have blown that one. I like Mesoraco and I'm glad we have him and hope to bring him back, but if Harvey gets a nice return, it could end up being another blunder.

Post subject: Re: Should we blame Mickey for Harvey?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:17 pm 
Rookie

Mickey is terrible, but we can't blame him for everything.

Harvey was looking awful the years before Mickey came.

Bring back the black jerseys

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:20 pm 
NYFS Staff

I blame Harvey for Harvey...

I blame Mickey for everything else...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:22 pm 
General Manager

jdawginsc wrote:
I blame Harvey for Harvey...

I blame Mickey for everything else...

This. Lock the thread. :P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:28 pm 
Legend of NYFS

before it's locked :-(

Wheeler and Matz are both looking better than they have in years. Can we give Mickey some credit for those two?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:48 pm 
Rookie

LTKfRGM wrote:

Wheeler and Matz are both looking better than they have in years. Can we give Mickey some credit for those two?

He's done fine with the starting pitchers. Harvey is just letting it rip for an awful team where he can be his own conceited self. And why do we care? He WASN'T going to get right in two more months as a Met, and it's not like we are in a race.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:54 pm 
General Manager

LTKfRGM wrote:

I think both of them being healthy helps a lot but he probably does deserve credit if we're being fair.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:06 am 
All Star

Harvey became a cancer and was removed. Can't we move on?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:15 am 
Legend of NYFS

dragonfly wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:

I think both of them being healthy helps a lot but he probably does deserve credit if we're being fair.

Wheeler, career: 4.01 ERA/3.99 FIP
Wheeler, 2018: 4.41 ERA/3.71 FIP

Matz, career: 3.81 ERA/4.16 FIP
Matz, 2018: 3.38 ERA/4.80 FIP

Mickey may have stopped downward momentum, or maybe just being another year away from serious injuries just allowed them to get back to normal. Not sure there's a real "jump" here.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:30 am 
Manager

Agreed. They have basically pitched like they have always shown but as of right now they are both healthy so if we want to give him credit for that then ok.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:36 am 
Legend of NYFS

I just don't think that, after hiring the pitching guru and then the other pitching guru, and currently sitting 25th in baseball in staff ERA- (ahead of: Miami, KC, ChiSox, Orioles and Reds - woot!!!!) and 23rd in FIP-, we should be handing out kudos really for anything.

And thats WITH having the best overall pitcher in baseball on your staff, who I'm pretty sure at this point is beyond whatever magical wand Mickey tries to wave.

"Most talented group I've ever seen." Welp, then you must be a really poor coach, Mick.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:12 pm 
NYFS Staff

If I were an outside prospective GM, I would certainly be looking to see what Mickey is doing for 2019. In trying to win games now with the veterans, he is actually making it worse for himself.

A smart GM would want someone playing toward the trade deadline and thinking ahead. Matheny just got fired due to bullpen use and allowing vets to be turds to younger players. And he has a resume that is pretty impressive.

If I were the three headed monster, I would be telling him, if we bring up a player, they had better play. And you better not burn out young arms in your quest to be closer to 70 wins.