MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mets Minors 7/13/2018-Kelenic = beast
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:52 pm 
General Manager

McNeil 3 for 3. Only got a single for his third hit. Seems like he's regressing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:04 am 
NYFS Hall of Famer

Grand slam for Alonso

You will be missed Carlos!

Remember Met fans, every trade is different and independent from the rest. TIS...Trust in Sandy!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:30 am 
Legend of NYFS

McNeil playing LF btw. Maybe they'll have Dom play 3B when he goes back to Vegas....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:16 am 
Legend of NYFS

sounds like TJR may have had a setback. hopefully a minor one.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:14 am 
Franchise Player

Crismatt has been pitching alright. If he puts together a string of good starts, he should be the next guy to get a spot start.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:25 am 
Rookie

[/quote]

Cmon HK, there are so many stretches in that post we can't even fully tackle them all. So I'll just attack the end. Yes, I want this guy, but he's a guy I trade Wheeler head up for, not build a mega-package for deGrom.[/quote]
#5 prospect in baseball. I don't really think I'm out on a limb.[/quote]

Of course you are going out on a limb. Paul Molitor stole 500+ bases, he was a bigtime athlete. Hiura has not stole bases in volume, nor efficiency, in either college or a pro. Now maybe they are starting to unlock something in Double-A with his reads, but I certainly want proof and not hope if im giving him a #5 price tag.

Then there's Turner, who I think Hiura's bat could easily surpass, but (like molitor) came up as a 2B before moving moving over to third. This defensive flexibility is what helped them add value, Hiura has none of that, unless that arm being held together by chicken wire and mighty putty makes serious gains.

Then there's the fact that you don't seem to have anymore faith than I do that he will stick longterm at 2B, but I'm not ready to give him the "any position will do," treatment. He hasn't flashed that kind of consistent game power yet.

Again, very good prospect, but I'm putting him more 15-25 range than top-5. And certainly not a headliner for our aces, because it's a fit we have tried many times that has always left us scrambling. You can draw very interesting comparisons to Danny Murphy, to Wilmer Flores, to Dom Smith.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:02 am 
Legend of NYFS

dragonfly wrote:
McNeil 3 for 3. Only got a single for his third hit. Seems like he's regressing.

They have to wait for his inevitable slump so they can point to the fact that they were right and he wasn't in fact ready.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:23 am 
Legend of NYFS

degromination wrote:

Of course you are going out on a limb. Paul Molitor stole 500+ bases, he was a bigtime athlete. Hiura has not stole bases in volume, nor efficiency, in either college or a pro. Now maybe they are starting to unlock something in Double-A with his reads, but I certainly want proof and not hope if im giving him a #5 price tag.

Then there's Turner, who I think Hiura's bat could easily surpass, but (like molitor) came up as a 2B before moving moving over to third. This defensive flexibility is what helped them add value, Hiura has none of that, unless that arm being held together by chicken wire and mighty putty makes serious gains.

Then there's the fact that you don't seem to have anymore faith than I do that he will stick longterm at 2B, but I'm not ready to give him the "any position will do," treatment. He hasn't flashed that kind of consistent game power yet.

Again, very good prospect, but I'm putting him more 15-25 range than top-5. And certainly not a headliner for our aces, because it's a fit we have tried many times that has always left us scrambling. You can draw very interesting comparisons to Danny Murphy, to Wilmer Flores, to Dom Smith.

You're extrapolating things I didn't say. Regarding Turner, I was referring to Hiura's swing and leg kick. I'm not saying to expect Hiura to have similar results, tho the potential is there bc he's been an elite hitter everywhere. Video of Hiura hitting bears a strong resemblance to JT.

And similarly, I wasn't comparing Hiura to a future HOFer, but I should have been more careful how I phrased that one. I said only that he *reminded* me of Molitor. I said that bc like Molitor, Hiura is a slightly undersized RHed hitter with great bat speed who just stings the ball. Molitor was also a bat-first guy who didn't really have a position but also came up at 2B and then played some 3B and 1B and ultimately DHed a lot.

Yeah, I fully acknowledge the Mets have (and have had) a defense problem that Hiura may not solve [by himself]. I have been one of the vocal critics of the team's policy of indifference to defense. That said, the team's offense is as big a problem (or bigger). And that problem Hiura can definitely affect. If it's an elite bat, they will find a defensive home for him. I've yet to see his defense criticized anywhere to the point that it may be Flo or Murphy bad, so I've refrained from being that alarmist about it yet.

Plus, I completely recognize that others would have to be in the deal to make it work. I already suggested elsewhere that I would want Lutz and 2 SPers like Brown and Woodruff. I think that's a solid package that would be hard to walk away from. That's effectively 3 players who are ready by 2019 (1 right now, Woodruff) plus one (Lutz) who would hopefully be ready for an OF corner by the time Ces/Bruce exit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:40 am 
Rookie

Yea, I think people are overthinking the Hiura prospect a bit. He's going to be a great hitter. You can just slide that in an make it work. I find the defensive thing interesting because while you want to have a better defense, you can't have *everyone* being a good defender. Would it be nice? Sure, but teams have won WS with bad defenders at various spots.

The other thing that makes me laugh a bit: How many prospects are centerpieces in a deGrom deal? There are three guys who I would argue are true centerpieces for deGrom (Vlad, Eloy, Tatis Jr.) because of their status of elite bats. You won't get any of them, I don't think. In that case, the thinking should be less about the main piece and trying to maximize the second, third and fourth pieces IMO.

Edit: I'll say four "centerpieces" because I forgot Royce Lewis.

Bring back the black jerseys

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:44 am 
Legend of NYFS

Hiura can go to the Hall Of Fame and he's still the exact wrong player for the Mets.

At some point you have to stop accumulating square pegs to jam into holes that are any shape but square.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:48 am 
Legend of NYFS

R Nitelight wrote:
Hiura can go to the Hall Of Fame and he's still the exact wrong player for the Mets.

ahh, ok. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:14 pm 
Legend of NYFS

1-0 GCL up in the 5th. Otanez threw 5 SO innings, K'ing 6.

Actually, 2-0 on Mauricio double. He's 2-3.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next