MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Happy David Wright Day
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:48 pm 
Legend of NYFS

TomInNC wrote:

If you have trouble or are offended by any of this, well that's entirely on you.

I agree with whomever said that this Wright matter has some people losing their heads. Evidently. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:34 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Location: Contemplating the meaning of life, and why god made me a Mets fan
HeyNowHK wrote:
Isn't this a wee bit melodramatic? Why is my desire to see David Wright return to playing baseball not a normal selfish desire that comes with being a fan of his? And why is 'being robbed' of seeing him mutually exclusive of Wright being robbed of his career?

If after 2 yrs of rehabbing and finally reaching the point of actually playing [minor league] games, to be left with just a few parting ML games as a sendoff feels like a tease and tremendous disappointment. I still feel it's odd that he was medically cleared to play, which implies the doctors feel there's no inordinate medical risk from doing normal baseball activities. It's hard to reconcile that with needing to retire for me. I don't have to like this outcome, but I have no choice about accepting it. As I've said, I was hoping that he would take the winter and then show up to ST and re-assess then.

If you have trouble or are offended by any of this, well that's entirely on you.

I think it was more the "dog and pony" show and David just "giving up" comments that came across as harsh. I don't think this was a decision he came to lightly - and I think he held on and kept trying for longer that others would. I definitely hoped he could come back for another year - and definitely wanted more than just one ceremonial game - but it clearly even that one game has a lot of meaning to David.

Also, in terms of the medicals and the doctors - he may have been cleared to play in that doctors didnt think he was at risk of going out there any getting paralyzed or something, but with the day to day pain he's in even when not playing baseball, and the comments about how playing baseball was 'debilitating' and going out there any playing became more about just trying to get through the game, and that doctors told him his condition is unlikely to improve at this point, etc. medically retiring is a reasonable outcome. And it has been two years of this - he already had two STs that he went to and then two full seasons of rehab - hopeful to get back to playing and couldnt.

But I agree with much of what you said. I'm very sad that this is the outcome we are stuck with. And 'selfish' as it may be - I do feel robbed - both of these last few years and the couple years we were supposed to have going forward. He's my favorite player, and I haven't felt the same way I used to about the Mets since he stopped playing....and I miss it. As much as I had a feeling this was going to be the outcome, part of me was still holding out hope we'd get that fairy tale where he comes back and plays well for another season or two so it really hurts to have that extinguished.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:43 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MetGirl5 wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Isn't this a wee bit melodramatic? Why is my desire to see David Wright return to playing baseball not a normal selfish desire that comes with being a fan of his? And why is 'being robbed' of seeing him mutually exclusive of Wright being robbed of his career?

If after 2 yrs of rehabbing and finally reaching the point of actually playing [minor league] games, to be left with just a few parting ML games as a sendoff feels like a tease and tremendous disappointment. I still feel it's odd that he was medically cleared to play, which implies the doctors feel there's no inordinate medical risk from doing normal baseball activities. It's hard to reconcile that with needing to retire for me. I don't have to like this outcome, but I have no choice about accepting it. As I've said, I was hoping that he would take the winter and then show up to ST and re-assess then.

I think it was more the "dog and pony" show and David just "giving up" comments that came across as harsh. I don't think this was a decision he came to lightly - and I think he held on and kept trying for longer that others would. I definitely hoped he could come back for another year - and definitely wanted more than just one ceremonial game - but it clearly even that one game has a lot of meaning to David.

Also, in terms of the medicals and the doctors - he may have been cleared to play in that doctors didnt think he was at risk of going out there any getting paralyzed or something, but with the day to day pain he's in even when not playing baseball, and the comments about how playing baseball was 'debilitating' and going out there any playing became more about just trying to get through the game, and that doctors told him his condition is unlikely to improve at this point, etc. medically retiring is a reasonable outcome. And it has been two years of this - he already had two STs that he went to and then two full seasons of rehab - hopeful to get back to playing and couldnt.

But I agree with much of what you said. I'm very sad that this is the outcome we are stuck with. And 'selfish' as it may be - I do feel robbed - both of these last few years and the couple years we were supposed to have going forward. He's my favorite player, and I haven't felt the same way I used to about the Mets since he stopped playing....and I miss it. As much as I had a feeling this was going to be the outcome, part of me was still holding out hope we'd get that fairy tale where he comes back and plays well for another season or two so it really hurts to have that extinguished.

Not even just the last 2 years - in Carig's great piece for the Athletic, listen to David talk about the grind in 2016 he was going through. In his last game, he hit a HR and then in his next at bat he couldn't move his neck and just K'ed looking. There's no greater illustration of what this has been to him than that - right after "proof" he can still get it done at at least a reasonably high level just as long as everything is cooperating at that moment, his body just totally fails him and leaves him in a spot where he can't do ANYTHING.

This isn't like a pitcher who's lost 2-3 mph. This is a guy who clearly has had enough glimmers where everything feels just right to think he's still the David of old, but 90% of the time he's just literally physically unable to perform. Its terrible. There's no adjusting for that. And as he said, he waited and waited for everything to just sort of click, and tried every surgical avenue possible.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:44 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Yeah I remember a couple of the articles in early 2016 that said things like he told friends some days he "didnt want to get out of bed" or that the one time he played 4 in a row - he could barely stand the next day. Even some of the articles that came out in 2015 after he returned and was hitting well in painted a grim picture. This has been something that's been going on for a long time - and then only got worse - and the surgical solutions werent enough to fix things. I guess I should be happy we even got the games in 2015 and 2016 that we did - it just hurts we couldnt get more

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:55 pm 
General Manager

jdawginsc wrote:
I think if Wright-Reyes on the Saturday before the end of a lost season is an issue, then the franchise is truly stupid.

If any batter bunts to the left side that day, that is an unholy thing...

It WOULD be Mets like though after sticking us with Reyes all season, to not play him in Wright's game.

I don't think Mattingly will go out of his way to embarass DW. Maybe the 2007-08 Marlins would, but this team has no reason to play the classless card.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:56 pm 
Manager

If anyone should understand what Wright went through it's mattingly.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:24 am 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

AllWrightNow wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:
I think if Wright-Reyes on the Saturday before the end of a lost season is an issue, then the franchise is truly stupid.

If any batter bunts to the left side that day, that is an unholy thing...

It WOULD be Mets like though after sticking us with Reyes all season, to not play him in Wright's game.

I don't think Mattingly will go out of his way to embarass DW. Maybe the 2007-08 Marlins would, but this team has no reason to play the classless card.

I wonder if they groove him a meatball at some point like Colon supposedly did for Dee Gordon in the Fernandez Trivute Game.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:56 am 
General Manager

After how the Mets respected the Marlins in the Fernandez game I think Mattingly will be sure they do nothing to embarrass Wright.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:46 am 
NYFS Staff

I think Wright would be more angry than thankful if they grooved him anything. I think he respects the game enough, he'd want to earn it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:30 pm 
Legend of NYFS

This sucks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:49 pm 

jdawginsc wrote:
I think Wright would be more angry than thankful if they grooved him anything. I think he respects the game enough, he'd want to earn it.

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:50 pm 

Pedroia gave Wright a #5 from the Fenway scoreboard. Classy move.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next