MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The very normal Mets...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:51 am 
Legend of NYFS

Quote:
A civil war of sorts of could be unfolding at the Mets’ highest level, with team owner Fred Wilpon and COO Jeff Wilpon disagreeing on a path to follow in hiring Sandy Alderson’s replacement to lead the front office.

As The Post reported last month, the elder Wilpon favors an experienced baseball person with roots in scouting and player development over the industry trend of hiring younger executives with a slant toward analytics. The younger Wilpon would prefer a more analytics-savvy general manager, according to sources.

It’s this disconnect that has led to the Mets compiling separate lists of candidates based on baseball ideology.

An organizational source indicated the final call will almost certainly belong to Fred Wilpon alone, which suggests the Mets are fishing from a pool that might include names such as Cardinals director of player development Gary LaRocque, Blue Jays assistant GM Tony LaCava, Rays special assistant Bobby Heck and former Marlins GM Dan Jennings, among others.

https://nypost.com/2018/09/10/the-inter ... gm-search/

Post subject: Re: The very normal Mets...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:24 am 
Fan Favorite

Well.........did they not go with the analytic side last time with Sandy? I don't like articles like these because it fuels nothing but disconnect when they really have no idea if there is any.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:53 am 
Legend of NYFS

Spacetraveler wrote:
Well.........did they not go with the analytic side last time with Sandy? I don't like articles like these because it fuels nothing but disconnect when they really have no idea if there is any.

Sandy represented analytics in the ‘90s, but the field had advanced well past his abilities by the time we got him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:02 am 
Legend of NYFS

Spacetraveler wrote:

The Mets are currently viewed as a team that invests less than others into analytics.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:19 am 
Rookie

Metro2007 wrote:
Spacetraveler wrote:

The Mets are currently viewed as a team that invests less than others into analytics.

I would think that the Mets are a team that invests less in talent as the real issue. "Analytics" is a good way to throw people off the scent.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:26 am 
Legend of NYFS

As much as I'm against nerd baseball I'm probably Team Jeff here.

I don't want another GM coming here to pad his retirement fund.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:30 am 
Legend of NYFS

Disco Ball wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
Spacetraveler wrote:

I would think that the Mets are a team that invests less in talent as the real issue. "Analytics" is a good way to throw people off the scent.

It can be both sadly.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:42 am 
Legend of NYFS

Disco Ball wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
Spacetraveler wrote:

Yeah exactly. The A's analytics dept is 4 people. I think they're doing fine... (30 games over) and also not spending a lot.

The problem here is that they can't even recognize talent when they're staring right at it.

The bottom line is not the size of the budget or analytics dept, it's who the decision maker is.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:52 am 
Fan Favorite

140 healthy games each at least from CONFORTO, CESPEDES, FRAZIER and BRUCE really does change the team a lot though. The Mets just need to acquire a player inbetween Jackson and Cespedes as you can't count on Lagaras to remain healthy. So upgrade there and at catcher if possible and the team can be in contention with this pitching staff as long as they REALLY upgrade in the bullpen. Please go spend money on that pen.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:12 am 
General Manager

Why do I keep seeing fans counting on Cespedes next season - or ever again?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:21 am 
General Manager

Spacetraveler wrote:
140 healthy games each at least from CONFORTO, CESPEDES, FRAZIER and BRUCE really does change the team a lot though. The Mets just need to acquire a player inbetween Jackson and Cespedes as you can't count on Lagaras to remain healthy. So upgrade there and at catcher if possible and the team can be in contention with this pitching staff as long as they REALLY upgrade in the bullpen. Please go spend money on that pen.

I believe there is ZERO chance Cespedes can play 140 games next year

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:21 am 
Legend of NYFS

Spacetraveler wrote:

? Cespedes will miss at MINIMUM half of next season and wouldn't be a 140 game player even in the best of circumstances and Bruce outside of 2017 has been a BAD MLB player since 2013. You make it sound like you are naming 4 guys who are good who are good bets to play 140 games "at least". 1 is "impossible" and 1 has been mostly really bad for a while now and will be 32. There is a better chance of Cespedes playing 14 games than 140 next season.