MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:48 am 
General Manager

MetsWhiz93 wrote:
Disco Ball wrote:
Unless there is a drastic shift this offseason, the gap for the Mets from a probable fourth place finish in 2018 and a playoff spot in 2019 isn't that far. While I tend to agree with the sentiments on this board that the team's play since 8/1 is somewhat illusionary, I also see several of these young players are establishing themselves as bona fide MLB starting players, warts and all.

The Mets have 69 wins right now. The WC teams have 85 and 81 wins. That's not a small gap, tbh. Of the seven teams right now ahead of the Mets in the WC, how many do you see them better than as for 2019? As least make the case for the Mets being a better team than Pittsburgh next season.

And for a fair comparison, all those teams have to have their young players get better, their vets bounce back and they all need to sign Machado and replace their weakest position

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:13 pm 
MVP

I like the core of this team a lot. I also like the fact that Dom and Alonso could actually share first base, on a lefty/righty platoon, at least for awhile and with Dom actually able to play OF a bit, our bench is already going to be better. Our starting pitching is STELLAR.

With that, we absolutely need bullpen help with a closer (I would be fine with Familia), and two southpaws (I would be fine if Blevins is one of them). An established 8th inning guy would be wonderful, although I think either Gsellman and/or a healthy Swarzak could be fine.

The one place I would look for an upgrade is catching, if the club is willing to spend a little. If not, I would not waste $$$ on someone like Lucroy, who may be no better at this point than what we already have (Plaw/Nido).

I see that most of us are somewhere in the middle here but I really am becoming bullish as we are finally seeing the starting pitching as we always dreamed and we have a number of young players who are likelier than not, to get better. I see Rosey as an allstar in the not too distant future.....I liked the idea of getting the 5th pick in 2019 but seeing some posiitive movement on a team we wrote off in June for the next several years, has been fun.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:26 pm 
MVP

Metsfan980 wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
People HONESTLY think a "big bat" is being brought in? Honestly?

Why not?

That big bat will be earning the ML minimum. I feel confident that Peter Alonso will emerge. He has the power, he has worked hard on his defense and weight and he has fire.

And.....what team will be able to say they acquired Yoenis Cespedes at the ASB (fingers crossed)?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:23 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Joefrompgh wrote:
Metsfan980 wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
People HONESTLY think a "big bat" is being brought in? Honestly?

Why not?

That big bat will be earning the ML minimum. I feel confident that Peter Alonso will emerge. He has the power, he has worked hard on his defense and weight and he has fire.

And.....what team will be able to say they acquired Yoenis Cespedes at the ASB (fingers crossed)?

And we all know far too well that this will be their line of reasoning for why they don't aggressively pursue an elite bat via free agency or trade.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:23 pm 
NYFS Staff

The problem comes down to mis-allocated salaries that will start to impact 2019, 2020.

There is no way they should spend ANYTHING on a corner position, which has duplicated high dollar salaries. It was already strangely set up (Pearce, as a RHH, and short term, made more sense than Bruce).

Assuming they count Wright's full salary and Cespedes full salary...
--Third should be fine, but expensive...$24m for a retired Wright and Frazier. Spending there would be dumb. McNeil is a hedge.
--The two positions that do NOT make sense to spend on are second and short.
--Corner outfield is set, set again, and expensive, they have too much bacon on the grill in the corners with Cespedes $29m, and Bruce's $14m.
--Investing in any major league contract starting would be foolhardy...Vargas made that moot. Dunn, Peterson, Kay, Kilome, even Oswalt, Lugo would make that a dumb expenditure.
--CF would be silly considering they have Lagares $9 m salary, and the previously mentioned salary above that locks up the corners.
--If they extend another ML deal for a first baseman, they are truly the dumbest franchise in sports.

Which leaves...
#Catcher...cheap or top line. They will go cheap. I see a Lucroy deal looming. Bounceback deal...!
##Relief pitching...they will feel burned by Swarzak, and go on the cheap...Sean Doolittle would be at the high end, and/or Shawn Kelley or Brad Ziegler
###Utility guy. I could see Freddy Galvis instead of investing in Gonzalez. Knowing the Mets, they do a stupid splash in DJLM...

I think we are going to see one of the more head scratching winters we have seen in awhile.

What I would do...given the financial parameters
--Grandal or Ramos at C;
--pull Cecchini in as a utility guy (instead of allocating money to Marwin, who is admittedly a good fit), or a MiL deal to a few guys left in February; key is, they shouldn't play much, but Mickey might give too much to a veteran.
--I'd see what Trevor Rosenthal is doing...
--Sign one of Familia, Doolittle, Miller. Then see what is on the wire in January.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:11 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I'm really having trouble going into next season with Cecchini penciled into a role on the big league roster. I realize that the ghost of Jose Reyes haunts our memory of what a utility infielder should be, but ideally you want someone who can bring some value to the table. I don't see any reason to assume that Cecchini is going to be anything better than replacement level in 2019.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:16 pm 
Legend of NYFS

northway wrote:
I'm really having trouble going into next season with Cecchini penciled into a role on the big league roster. I realize that the ghost of Jose Reyes haunts our memory of what a utility infielder should be, but ideally you want someone who can bring some value to the table. I don't see any reason to assume that Cecchini is going to be anything better than replacement level in 2019.

I would hope the job is given in March and not November.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:22 pm 
Legend of NYFS

northway wrote:

If this is the roster's big problem, I think we're in pretty good shape...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:50 pm 
NYFS Staff

northway wrote:

Limited dollars available. I'd rather see a league minimum former first rounder be given a chance to break .620 OPS, the low bar that's been set the past few years, than a veteran play to a bit above that and "earn" unearned at bats and PT.

Money should be prioritized to C and relief...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:25 pm 
Legend of NYFS

R Nitelight wrote:
northway wrote:

I would hope the job is given in March and not November.

8)

This was mostly what I was getting at. I'm fine with Cecchini being in the mix, but considering how much a backup infielder can end up playing, I'm not going to be particularly happy if the Mets decide in November that they don't need to bother looking at utility infielders because they already have Cecchini. And the fact that Reyes has been awful should be an example of why we need someone to be decent. You're giving away wins when you have guys who are negative assets on your roster, and I don't think it's safe to assume that Cecchini is going to bring any value.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:15 pm 
General Manager

I'm not a Cheech fan at all but having him as the backup MI is a step up (by default) from having Reyes as the backup MI :P

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:25 pm 
NYFS Staff

Problem is, we have no idea what we have in Cecchini, Dom and now Alonso due to severe mismanagement.

Had injuries not mandated the decision, it would have included Nimmo.

Trusting the organization to find a gem in the bargain section is bad enough...worse is that they continue to play them due to their 35 year-old pedigrees even when they are hitting .660 OPS

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next