MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:08 pm 
Legend of NYFS

northway wrote:
I'm really having trouble going into next season with Cecchini penciled into a role on the big league roster. I realize that the ghost of Jose Reyes haunts our memory of what a utility infielder should be, but ideally you want someone who can bring some value to the table. I don't see any reason to assume that Cecchini is going to be anything better than replacement level in 2019.

Cheech has an option remaining so he likely opens the year in AAA.

1B: Bruce/Wilmer (until 21 days, then Alonso)
2B: McNeil
3B: Frazier
SS: Rosario

I think they'll sign a bench infielder, not sure if they go SS for defense or a Bautista type 3B/OF for pinch hitting.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:57 pm 
Rookie

MetsWhiz93 wrote:
Disco Ball wrote:
Unless there is a drastic shift this offseason, the gap for the Mets from a probable fourth place finish in 2018 and a playoff spot in 2019 isn't that far. While I tend to agree with the sentiments on this board that the team's play since 8/1 is somewhat illusionary, I also see several of these young players are establishing themselves as bona fide MLB starting players, warts and all.

The Mets have 69 wins right now. The WC teams have 85 and 81 wins. That's not a small gap, tbh. Of the seven teams right now ahead of the Mets in the WC, how many do you see them better than as for 2019? As least make the case for the Mets being a better team than Pittsburgh next season.

Yes...Go back and read my next paragraph.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:09 pm 
Rookie

Disco Ball wrote:

OK. I'll quote it.

Disco Ball wrote:
Manny Machado playing third and hitting either second or third in the batting order is the obvious fit. Bring back Familia to close, and this is probably the best team in the NL East. The former is probably a pipe dream, so it will be very interesting to see what (if anything) they do instead.

What does this have to do with the 4th best team in the NL East being close to the WC winner? :lol: The assumption they sign Machado and Familia?

Bring back the black jerseys

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:08 am 
Rookie

MetsWhiz93 wrote:
Disco Ball wrote:

OK. I'll quote it.

Disco Ball wrote:
Manny Machado playing third and hitting either second or third in the batting order is the obvious fit. Bring back Familia to close, and this is probably the best team in the NL East. The former is probably a pipe dream, so it will be very interesting to see what (if anything) they do instead.

What does this have to do with the 4th best team in the NL East being close to the WC winner? :lol: The assumption they sign Machado and Familia?

yes--but it is more of a projection than an assumption.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:30 am 
MVP

What are the chances they go after Pollock?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:39 am 
Legend of NYFS

The Prodigy wrote:

What are the chances they go after anyone? Relatively low.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:14 am 
NYFS Staff

The Prodigy wrote:

In the absence of Bruce's contract, he might have been in play. At this point, probably not.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:47 am 
Legend of NYFS

The Prodigy wrote:

Outfield is full with Conforto Nimmo Bruce left to right. Alonso up by late-April.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:16 pm 
NYFS Staff

I have wondered why putting Bruce at first seems a priority, unless his foot is still a problem. It would seem that a way to get youth into the first base mix, they could delay the Cespedes impact for awhile...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:04 am 
Blue Chipper

As far as Machado goes, I haven't seen anything to indicate he would consider playing 3B. He is a shortstop. You could sign him and move people around. Or trade Rosario. But Machado isn't going to give up his desire to play short for the great opportunity to play for the Metropolitans.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:29 am 
Rookie

jdawginsc wrote:
I have wondered why putting Bruce at first seems a priority, unless his foot is still a problem. It would seem that a way to get youth into the first base mix, they could delay the Cespedes impact for awhile...

Thinking the same thing. With Yo out, there’s more room in the OF than at first. I’d play Bruce in RF and Dom at first. Mostly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:37 am 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

northway wrote:
I'm really having trouble going into next season with Cecchini penciled into a role on the big league roster. I realize that the ghost of Jose Reyes haunts our memory of what a utility infielder should be, but ideally you want someone who can bring some value to the table. I don't see any reason to assume that Cecchini is going to be anything better than replacement level in 2019.

I'm really having trouble going into next season with Cecchini on the 40-man roster...

I honestly don't care about winning or losing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next