MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 650 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 55  Next
 Post subject: Official GM Search Thread
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:06 am 
Franchise Player

Is it cool to create this?

Latest decent summary I could find: https://fancredsports.com/articles/jon- ... -10-12-ser

Quote:
The Mets are believed to be down to 10-12 names that are being seriously discussed. Current GMs who have been connected to the job include the Indians’ Mike Chernoff, the Brewers’ David Stearns, the Athletics’ David Forst and the Cubs’ Jed Hoyer, though it isn’t known which one or ones have been called, or frankly, if any of them could be available.

The Mets are expected to begin in-person interviews in October after they pare a list of candidates to a half-dozen or perhaps a few more.

Post subject: Re: Official GM Search Thread
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:55 pm 
All Star

Did Jeff Wilpon say at his press conference that the reason they didn't shop for top level free agents these past winters was because that was Sandy's recommendation?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:35 pm 
Franchise Player

I thought I heard something like that, too. So you're blaming the guy with cancer, not the guys with the purse strings?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:40 pm 
Legend of NYFS

yalikeMetroplitans wrote:
I thought I heard something like that, too. So you're blaming the guy with cancer, not the guys with the purse strings?

Do you really think that Sandy tried to sell the Wilpons on Lorenzo Cain? Or trading for Yelich? Come on. Sandy was a bad GM for most of his time here. There's very little basis to believe Sandy tried to be more aggressive but was rebuffed by Jeff/Fred.

There's no reason to bring Alderson's health into this.... except as a possibly affecting his decision making... that is, unless someone wants to make the case that he wasn't really calling the shots. And I'm not buying that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:43 pm 
Franchise Player

I'm not saying Sandy was a world-beater here, but I believe he was talking about big money FAs, not guys like Cain, nor trading for Yelich. Those decisions have to be mutual, and if an owner really really wants to sign a guy it usually happens. Another point is: Why blame anyone? And if you have to, be a man and share the blame since you are always trying to play GM anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:45 pm 
Franchise Player

Quote:
Royals assistant GM Scott Sharp, Brewers assistant GM Matt Arnold, and Blue Jays VP of baseball operations Ben Cherington have all been linked to the Giants’ general manager position, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe writes. Going into more detail on Cherington, Cafardo believes Cherington’s use of both traditional scouting and modern analytics makes him an ideal all-around candidate for both the Giants and Mets jobs, as Cherington is reportedly also under consideration in New York.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/09/ ... lland.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:52 am 
General Manager

HeyNowHK wrote:

Do you really think that Sandy tried to sell the Wilpons on Lorenzo Cain? Or trading for Yelich? Come on. Sandy was a bad GM for most of his time here. There's very little basis to believe Sandy tried to be more aggressive but was rebuffed by Jeff/Fred .

Well, there was Jason Kipnis lol...although it generally is a pattern through multiple GM's since the mid '90's (other than Omar) that the Mets will always go for the 2nd-tier FA or trade target.

Honestly the Mets just flat out didn't have the system to trade for Yelich, that's on Sandy alone.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:03 am 
Franchise Player

With the current members of the three headed GM removed from consideration, I'm a lot more optimistic that the team will make a good hire here. I'm anxious to start hearing tangible news of the names in play now that the season has come to a close.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:26 am 
Legend of NYFS

Nick Francona really laid into Jeff for effectively blaming Alderson saying they were going by the recommendations of the 'previous GM'. To be fair, I didn't hear it. It certainly sounds crass to pass on the blame, but what if Jeff is right? Regardless of the tendency to blame the Pons and with all due acknowledgement that they are lousy owners, people, etc., the head of the baseball operation still has a tremendous amount of decision making autonomy. I'm talking about the roster and day to day player movement. Did the team pass on LoCain bc of ownership? I don't know but they spent more than that combined on Bruce, Vargas, Fraz and Swarz. Have they cut corners on analytics staff? Maybe, but that seems irrelevant if the decision maker doesn't use the data well.

As some have said, it's certainly not all bad. There is an enviable young core in place. The failings have to do with what they've done to supplement that core. They've also done very well with their international scouting and development the past 4 or 5 years. Bottom line is that people can always use spending as a crutch but it's not really how much you spend as 'how' you spend. The top spending teams can simply make more mistakes than everyone else. That's the primary difference. But when your decision maker makes a bunch of smaller mistakes, it can handicap the organization just as much. I just don't believe that Sandy Alderson tried to sell ownership on Cain instead of Bruce, Vargas et al. And I don't believe Jeff Wilpon prevented the team from building better bullpens.

So let's be careful about who we're leveling blame on. There is enough to go around.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:55 am 
Franchise Player

The more I hear about Cherington the more I like. Are there warts there I'm not seeing?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:56 am 
Legend of NYFS

The more I hear about Cherington the more I like. Are there warts there I'm not seeing?

Didn't they sign Panda and Hanley while he was Sox GM?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:09 am 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:

Didn't they sign Panda and Hanley while he was Sox GM?

Yes. Cherington was GM for both signings.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 650 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 55  Next