Jarred Kelenic (CF) Kingsport 86%  86%  [ 31 ]
Ronny Mauricio (SS) Kingsport 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Thomas Szapucki (LHP) A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Luis Santana (2B) Kingsport 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Shervyen Newton (SS) Kingsport 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Justin Dunn (RHP) A+ 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mark Vientos (3B) Kingsport 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 36
 Post subject: Who is the #3 prospect in the Mets system?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:24 am 
Legend of NYFS

Rookie maximums for at-bats (130), games pitched (30) or innings (50) in the major leagues"

If the 2 leaders are within 5% of each other, or the leader has less than 35% there will be a run-off between the top 2. If a run-off results in a tie the tiebreaker will be vote total in the previous poll, we will continue to "go back" in the polls until there is a clear leader.

*Jeff McNeil is ineligible
*Chris Flexen is ineligible

1) Andres Gimenez (SS) AA 19/37 votes- 51%
2) Peter Alonso (1B) AAA 24/36 votes- 67%

Post subject: Re: Who is the #3 prospect in the Mets system?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:53 am 
Rookie

Nimmo 2.0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:18 am 
Legend of NYFS

Soriano 2.0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:32 am 
Franchise Player

Anyone else see a little Trea Turner in him, but a step slower?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:48 am 
Legend of NYFS

SWR next?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:58 am 
Manager

Whats the case for Mauricio?

I'm considering him in the 8-12 but it seems like people like him more than that and ahead of guys like DP, Dunn, and Vientos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:16 am 
Legend of NYFS

bygranddesign wrote:
Whats the case for Mauricio?

I'm considering him in the 8-12 but it seems like people like him more than that and ahead of guys like DP, Dunn, and Vientos

1. He's 17
2. Hulet yesterday ranked him #6 and the bold would be key why you would have him #4
6. Ronny Mauricio | SS | R —> Mauricio received a $2.1 million investment in 2017 and had an excellent showing in his debut this season. He’s an overly-aggressive hitter but he has the potential to develop into a power-hitting middle infielder with strong defensive potential. He might have the highest ceiling in the system but is also still quite raw at 17. He’ll likely need another year in extended spring training with an eye towards full-season ball in 2020.
3. Switch hitting SS with power

4. Peterson is viewed by many to have limited ceiling due to his stuff/k rate, Dunn is polarizing with many believing he's an RP (numbers vs. lefties in particular an issue), haven't seen really anyone suggest Dunn is likely a top 3 SP realistically so Peterson/Dunn as say 4th SP and Vientos with limited defensive value/potential to move to 1b.

5. MetsMinors.net just ranked him #5 ahead of Peterson and Vientos with the note

"exhibiting impressive bat speed and above-average power. Among Mets farmhands, he’s one of the best pure hitters and started his pro career with a 22-game hitting streak. Keep in mind: he’s been doing this as one of the youngest players at the GCL level.

The 17-year-old already shows quality defensive instincts and a decent arm. His 6’3″ frame may eventually force him off shortstop, but he would still slot in well at third base. Mauricio has a chance to be an impact player on both sides of the ball. Mauricio joins a crop of talented middle-infielders in the Mets minor leagues."

I see the argument for others at 4 but don't see any argument for Mauricio to be in the 8-12 range. I think that is FAR too low given his upside/age and even performance.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:55 am 
Legend of NYFS

Solid read as always but you have to mention it was Regnault's 3rd DSL season, and that almost 20 is quite old for the league http://metsminors.net/dsl-season-recap- ... o-impress/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:18 am 
Manager

I regret saying 8-12 pretty much as soon as I posted it

No way he would go lower than 9 for me

But right now I have Peterson, Dunn and Vientos ahead of him

Peterson because I see a groundball rate and k/bb rate that I think makes him an easy #3 starter projection with chances to be better than that

Dunn I see #3 starter or back of the bullpen as a realistic projection (10+ K-rate in AA)

Vientos .. lets remember he was 2nd round pick who was polarizing in that there were many people who very High on him saying he was 1st round talent -- And I think he is proving those people right.

Mauricio vs. Vientos is a pretty interesting debate. I could see why people would take Ronny considering that he could stick at SS and be a significant asset defensively where Vientos doesn't have as much value

But if RM ends up on 3rd just like Vientos ... then it will come down to mostly the bat.

And Vientos as an 18 year old hit .287/,389/.489 -- 14% walk rate / 16% K-rate

Thats extremely impressive for an 18 year old

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:29 am 
Legend of NYFS

I just want to go on record.. for me the top 3 are clear in "some order". After that.. really comes down to upside, polish, proximity etc.

-Vientos was going round 1 to the Braves until Wright fell which blew their budget, I like Vientos a lot (maybe more than most on here) but I do recognize he has to mash or he's not a big leaguer so the floor is pretty low ie a non-big leaguer. Of course the upside is a 20+ homer average fielding 3B

- Peterson finished strong but I still have issues with that k-rate/non-big time FB. It's unusual a guy with a k-rate like that becomes a difference maker. It happens but it's unusual and despite his NCAA success still fell to 20th overall despite being a big lefty so the "industry" wasn't exactly enamored. I still think he can be a good #4 but hard time seeing him being a guy we are worried about 120 million dollar extensions for...

-Dunn is a tough call. Law is high on him (though he doesn't move off guys he liked pre-draft) while others are less so. The numbers vs. lefties are a red flag for me. Even as an RP he needs to get lefties out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:38 am 
Legend of NYFS

Mauricio way underrepresented here. Guy has a tremendous ceiling.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:41 am 
Rookie

There's an argument for Mauricio. I'm probably going Peterson #4 because he's got a floor of a solid, durable starter and maybe the funky delivery plays the stuff up to mid-rotation. But if you'd rather bet on upside, Mauricio is probably your best shot.