Stanley Consuegra (OF) 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Bobby Wahl (RHP) 28%  28%  [ 5 ]
Juan Uriarte (C) 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Jaylen Palmer (IF) 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Eric Hanhold (RHP) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Luis Carpio (SS) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Ryley Gilliam (RHP) 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 18
 Post subject: Who is the #29 prospect in the Mets system?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:28 am 
Legend of NYFS

Rookie maximums for at-bats (130), games pitched (30) or innings (50) in the major leagues"

If the 2 leaders are within 5% of each other, or the leader has less than 35% there will be a run-off between the top 2. If a run-off results in a tie the tiebreaker will be vote total in the previous poll, we will continue to "go back" in the polls until there is a clear leader.

*Jeff McNeil is ineligible
*Chris Flexen is ineligible

1) Andres Gimenez (SS) AA 19/37 votes- 51%
2) Peter Alonso (1B) AAA 24/36 votes- 67%
3) Jarred Kelenic (CF) Kingsport 31/36-86%
4) Ronny Mauricio (SS) Kingsport 12/33-36%
5) Justin Dunn (RHP) AA 10/37-27%, Run-off with Mark Vientos 17/30-57%
6) Mark Vientos (3b) Kingsport 16/31-52%
7) David Peterson (LHP) A+ 21/31- 68%
8) Franklyn Kilome (RHP) AA 20/33-61%
9) Thomas Szapucki (LHP) A 18/32-56%
10) Shervyen Newton (SS) Kingsport 12/30-40%, Run-off with Anthony Kay 17/33-52%
11) Anthony Kay (LHP) AA 18/26-69%
12) Simeon Woods-Richardson (RHP) Kingsport 12/30-40%
13) Luis Santana (2B) 15/26-58%
14) Will Toffey (3B) 10/29-34%, run-off with Cecchini 15/27-56%
15) Gavin Cecchini (2b) 14/26-46%
16) Francisco Alvarez (C) 9/26-35%
17) Dez Lindsay (OF) 7/18-39%
18) Tony Dibrell (RHP) 9/23-39%
19) Jordan Humphreys (RHP) 7/21-33%, Run-off with Nido 18/24-75%
20) Ross Adolph (OF) 6/25-24%, run-off with Nido 18/25-72%
21) Adam Hill (RHP) 4/26-15%, Run-off with Nido/Crismatt 11/26-58%
22) Junior Santos (RHP) 6/28-21%, Run-off with Nido 11/20-55%
23) Tomas Nido (C) 10/23-43%
24) Luis Guillorme (SS) 9/24-38%
25) Adrian Hernandez 6/26-23%, run-off with Wahl/Cortes 8/15-53%
26) Carlos Cortes (2b) 8/21-38%
27) Steven Villines (RHP) 4/16 25%, Run-off with Thompson/Wahl 9/23-39%
28) David Thompson (3b) 8/23-35%

Post subject: Re: Who is the #29 prospect in the Mets system?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:50 am 
Legend of NYFS

Went Ali Sanchez. If Nido is 23 I think Sanchez belongs roughly in the same range.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:29 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Metro2007 wrote:
Went Ali Sanchez. If Nido is 23 I think Sanchez belongs roughly in the same range.

If you take the good things about Nido and make them a bit worse, and the bad things about Nido and not improve them, you have Ali Sanchez.

I'm not sure I understand what separates Sanchez from your standard organizational catch and throw guy. He's got a good arm, the reports on the rest of the defensive package are meh, doesn't get on base and has laughably minimal pop. I don't see how he's ever in consideration for a big league role other than if you have a period of time when the team just stinks and there's no reason to invest in a backup C, like how Mike Nickeas just sort of fell into a job for half a season.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:35 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:

If you take the good things about Nido and make them a bit worse, and the bad things about Nido and not improve them, you have Ali Sanchez.

I'm not sure I understand what separates Sanchez from your standard organizational catch and throw guy. He's got a good arm, the reports on the rest of the defensive package are meh, doesn't get on base and has laughably minimal pop. I don't see how he's ever in consideration for a big league role other than if you have a period of time when the team just stinks and there's no reason to invest in a backup C, like how Mike Nickeas just sort of fell into a job for half a season.

I think he has a better shot of appearing in a big league game or games as a glove than some of these other guys. I'm far from an Ali Sanchez fan. But he probably lucks himself into collecting a big league paycheck. Our starter next year if the Mets have their way posted a .646 OPS in the minors, Sanchez career .648. Maldonado .573 OPS in the FSL and here we are 612 games into the Martin Maldonado experience.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:45 pm 
Rookie

I'm gonna go ahead and nominate de Oca next if that's okay. Injuries are a huge concern but trust-worthy guys have talked up the stuff to no end.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:47 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Hot Takes wrote:
I'm gonna go ahead and nominate de Oca next if that's okay. Injuries are a huge concern but trust-worthy guys have talked up the stuff to no end.

Vilera is next but de Oca can follow him

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:54 pm 
Rookie

Metro2007 wrote:
Hot Takes wrote:

Vilera is next but de Oca can follow him

Cool.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:01 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Metro2007 wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:

I think he has a better shot of appearing in a big league game or games as a glove than some of these other guys. I'm far from an Ali Sanchez fan. But he probably lucks himself into collecting a big league paycheck. Our starter next year if the Mets have their way posted a .646 OPS in the minors, Sanchez career .648. Maldonado .573 OPS in the FSL and here we are 612 games into the Martin Maldonado experience.

Hey, it happens. Like I said, Mike Nickeas once got himself a major league payday. Maldonado hit it right with a small market team who had extended its payroll and given they had a very strong starter, presumably didn't want to invest in a backup C salary (and also appears to have carried 3 catchers for a while that first season of his?) and so he got the spot, and performed well above what his track record said he should've so he sort of has just stuck around since.

Who can explain to me why Jesus Sucre keeps getting major league paychecks? I don't get it, but he's played in parts of 6 seasons now!

Its really a right place, right time scenario. Given he has Nido ahead of him, not sure thats going to present itself. I think you need to be very comfortable with your starter to go with an Ali Sanchez type as your backup, and not sure Nido is ever going to make you comfortable and its tough carrying 2 guys like that. Ideally Nido, if he stays around, is just your backup, and therefore Sanchez somehow has to leapfrog Nido in the next 2 seasons before he hits minor league FA, and I don't see it?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:08 pm 
Rookie

I voted Sanchez and while I think the "Nido but worse" criticism is valid, he's also a 21-year-old catching prospect. I'm so down on Nido because he hasn't made any progress over the past few seasons. If Sanchez in three years is kicking around AA trying to keep his OBP above .300, he'll be in the same spot as Nido. But, hey, we haven't seen him fail quite like that yet.

And I know the "we haven't seen him fail yet" analysis is usually frowned upon, but here I think it's valid. Sanchez isn't too far off from Nido right now, I think, and he's three years younger. Sanchez may not have the enigmatic "raw power" that Nido has but the skillsets they've shown in games are pretty similar. Maybe over the next three years Sanchez makes progress with his contact tool in a way that Nido hasn't been able to.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:18 pm 
Rookie

I went Gilliam, but more notably I think this is spot in the system where I'd stamp it as "muddled." Feel like its a lot deeper into the rankings than last year, a good sign of improved farm health, but hard to tell just in hindsight.

At this point I'm probably voting Gillam, Wahl, Sanchez, then going straight upside after that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:05 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Hot Takes wrote:
I voted Sanchez and while I think the "Nido but worse" criticism is valid, he's also a 21-year-old catching prospect. I'm so down on Nido because he hasn't made any progress over the past few seasons. If Sanchez in three years is kicking around AA trying to keep his OBP above .300, he'll be in the same spot as Nido. But, hey, we haven't seen him fail quite like that yet.

And I know the "we haven't seen him fail yet" analysis is usually frowned upon, but here I think it's valid. Sanchez isn't too far off from Nido right now, I think, and he's three years younger. Sanchez may not have the enigmatic "raw power" that Nido has but the skillsets they've shown in games are pretty similar. Maybe over the next three years Sanchez makes progress with his contact tool in a way that Nido hasn't been able to.

Sanchez is 2 seasons from milb FA. He hasn't had an OBP over .300 since rookie ball (2015 - David Wright had a 132 wRC+ that year for context if that doesn't sound all that long ago). I don't think we need to play the long game with his evaluation.

And yeah, they can fend that off with a 40 man add, but, please don't. Unless they're dumping Nido. You cannot muddy up your 40 man with 2 of those guys.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:16 pm 
NYFS Hall of Famer

I like Manea over Sanchez myself.

You will be missed Carlos!

Remember Met fans, every trade is different and independent from the rest. TIS...Trust in Sandy!