MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 544 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: Robinson Cano and Edwin Diaz are Mets
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:08 am 
Legend of NYFS

Ralf wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Oh come on. What’s laughable is any attempt to compare a likely future HOFer who had more war in a half season in 2018 than Jay Bruce has accumulated in the last 5 seasons combined.

This is a false choice. They could have easily eaten a chunk of Bruce’s deal to get rid of him and not taken on a $100m commitment to a 36 year old.

I think you're missing the point. BvW went all in on this season.

Jay Bruce had a bad year last year and with the rise of Nimmo, wasn't a good fit on this team.

Swarzak had a bad year last year too.

Cano is due 24 million in 2018

Bruce, 14 million
Swarzak 8.5 million
And the M's are paying 5 million this year, so in essence, BvW added Cano and Diaz and cut 3.5 million in salary. That's what he wanted. He wanted to add Cano's bat and cut salary doing it.

That kind of move only works if Cano hits and I think most of us expected him to pout up at least an 800 OPS, maybe 850. It works much less well if Cano struggles.

It also only works if Diaz is Mariano Rivera, cause they gave up a lot to get him.

but BvW took on a 20 million dollar contract 2021-2023 because he wanted to add a bat and a closer, basically for prospects and zero money. Likewise, BvW adds JDD for further away prospects and he adds Keon Broxton (Keon I think was added because he hoped he could move Lagares), but he's going all in on 2019, and trading prospects to do it.

Whether that works long term depends on how the mets do in 2019, but him adding Cano was clearly a 2019 move where the team is taking on bad salary 2021-2023. And who knows, maybe Cano's insured and the mets get some of that money back . . . maybe not. But the move was all about 2019 and to a smaller extent, about 2020.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:21 am 
General Manager

Well really adding Cano should have been about the two-year window the organization seems to have with 2019 and 2020. The professional troll can whine about this deal all he wants, nobody expected Cano to be Robbie Alomar bad in the first month (and even at that he still hit a couple of big HR's). The guy played in NY and did well off the suspension last year, and he also hit well in the spring - there's been no real reason to suspect a severe regression to come this year.

And Diaz has been the only reliable member of the pen so far so it's not like he hasn't lived up to his end.

Please desist from directly calling out posters. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:37 am 
All Star

Diaz is worth $18M this year and they are paying him peanuts. Factor that into your equation!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:13 pm 
Veteran Presence

AllWrightNow wrote:
Well really adding Cano should have been about the two-year window the organization seems to have with 2019 and 2020. The professional troll can whine about this deal all he wants, nobody expected Cano to be Robbie Alomar bad in the first month (and even at that he still hit a couple of big HR's). The guy played in NY and did well off the suspension last year, and he also hit well in the spring - there's been no real reason to suspect a severe regression to come this year.

And Diaz has been the only reliable member of the pen so far so it's not like he hasn't lived up to his end.

I dont know there were quite a few of us that weren't expecting much from Cano. This was my feeling on him. I do think he has a torrid month or 2 in him this year. Just hoping it is when the other parts of the lineup are slumping. He does have a sweet swing though.

Post subject: Re: Free Agents 18/19PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:05 pm

Sure Cano prior to this past year had posted an OPS below .800 in 2 of the previous 3 years. I think he returns to this level of production (.755-.775) this year, is low to mid .700s (.730- .760) in year 2 and then declines quickly. He is no longer a middle of the order bat but is paid like one. The move will then paralyze the Mets for 4 years as the contract takes up a large portion of the payroll and to compound the situation they keep trotting him out there like they have done in the past until they finally release him in June of year 5 of the deal.

Hey, you know what they say: see a broad to get dat booty yak 'em... ...leg 'er down a smack 'em yak 'em!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:34 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

MookieWouldaBeatIt wrote:
Diaz is worth $18M this year and they are paying him peanuts. Factor that into your equation!

We did when we traded two top-100 prospects that cost $7m in bonuses and 12 years of control.

"I think the best owners always are the ones who understand that they really don't own the team. The fans own the team. For a period of time, you are a steward, and you'll be judged on how well you manage that."
- Warriors COO Rick Welts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:00 pm 
Veteran Presence

Cano ain't gonna post a .213 BABIP all year. FG has his Hard% at 38.8%, good for second best of his career (only trailing the 41.5% he posted last season). Looking at some other batted ball data, he's just getting under the ball far too much (41.7% currently, career of 30.5% and never above 36.5% for a full season) and we all know fly balls are less likely to result in base hits than grounders. On the flip side, his career GB% of 48.3% is almost exactly 11% (see the above difference in 2019 FB% vs career rate) higher than his current GB% of 37.5%. To round out the batted ball types, his LD% of 20.8% is right in line with his 21.1% career average.

So, yeah, I'm not worried in the least bit about Robbie. It's 70 plate appearances. I think as soon as he starts to focus on staying on top of the ball and trades some lazy fly balls for seeing eye singles, the numbers will work their way closer to career norms.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:24 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Kelenic has a 5 game hit streak going.

He's 11 for 20 in that time, 3 walks, 4 Ks, 24 PAs, 4 doubles and a homer.

I think he's going to be a stud. Conforto type bat with a better glove. Yes, call me an idiot for projecting this early, but I think his upside is absurd.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:30 pm 
NYFS Staff

LTKfRGM wrote:

I think he's going to be a stud. Conforto type bat with a better glove. Yes, call me an idiot for projecting this early, but I think his upside is absurd.

That was the part of the deal that confounded me. Just paid the bonus. Absolutely a solid pick.

I understand Diaz was going to be expensive, but that was painful.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:50 pm 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:

LOL, every time Kellenic has a multi-hit we're going to hear this. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:08 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:

A couple of multi-hit games by Cano would go a long way toward muting that.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:19 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:

No. I just felt like it was a fair answer to his 2 for 25 start. I'll try to only grumble about it once a year. That sees fair.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:31 pm 
General Manager

It’s fair to provide updates on Kelenic’s performance

No one was objecting when people called him a bust and overrated

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 544 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next