MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wilmer Non-tendered
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:37 pm 
MVP

Thought I would start this thread as we have been down for a day.

I have mixed emotions. Certainly his skills are rather generic but he was a hard worker and fan favorite. I will miss Wilmer Flores (and hope TJR can throw a baseball again).

BTW: TDA WAS tendered, which in my opinion is limited insurance for the Mets if they are unable to add a quality backstop. Here, as with TJR, I hope he can throw a baseball in 2019....

Post subject: Re: Wilmer Non-tendered
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:53 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I don't understand why they tendered TDA.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:22 pm 
Legend of NYFS

northway wrote:

because he's a Catcher...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:38 pm 
General Manager

HeyNowHK wrote:
northway wrote:

because he's a Catcher...

For the 40 games he'll play before he gets hurt again.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:24 pm 
Legend of NYFS

northway wrote:

If they get another catcher they can cut him for 1/6 the salary, which would only be like the league minimum.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:08 pm 
All Star

thebull wrote:
northway wrote:

If they get another catcher they can cut him for 1/6 the salary, which would only be like the league minimum.

Excellent point. Thanks Now it seems like a smart move

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:33 pm 
Blue Chipper

It was the right call.

Boy...that homer after the Gomez deal fell through. One of my favorite Mets moments ever.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:52 pm 
Manager

No big loss. But I can't resist pointing out, nonetheless. If they had kept Wilmer instead, he would likely be a cheaper and more productive version of Cano over the next 6 years. Not right off in 2019 though; Cano maybe buys you an extra win there, at least. But within 3 years I'd expect Wilmer to be the better player.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:05 pm 
Legend of NYFS

acerimusdux wrote:
No big loss. But I can't resist pointing out, nonetheless. If they had kept Wilmer instead, he would likely be a cheaper and more productive version of Cano over the next 6 years. Not right off in 2018 though; Cano maybe buys you an extra win there, at least. But within 3 years I'd expect Wilmer to be the better player.

Flores, who has a combined 1.4 WAR the last two seasons? Cano was pacing 6 wins last year. I’d be shocked if they were within 1 win of each other in 2019.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:08 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Hopefully they don't reassign his number for when he comes back in 8 years.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:23 pm 
Manager

thebull wrote:
Flores, who has a combined 1.4 WAR the last two seasons? Cano was pacing 6 wins last year. I’d be shocked if they were within 1 win of each other in 2019.

Well, I still think if you stuck Flores at 2B (his best position) and played him, he'd get you at least 1.5 WAR. I think he loses WAR by coming off the bench and playing other positions where he has less added value.

And Cano was playing at that pace apparently after taking PEDs. Statistical projections are putting him at around 3.0 WAR in 2019. But that should decline rapidly, in coming years, given his age. I meant though that Cano probably gets you at least a win more in 2019, but Flores is worth as much by 2021 (when Cano is 38 and Flores 29).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:32 pm 
NYFS Staff

Honestly, this might be better for Wilmer. Latch onto an AL team...play first and DH. Dave his knees.