MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jay Bruce Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:45 pm 
Rookie

“I just hope people in New York remember me as a guy who wanted to play and play well and not a lot of frills. I was honest and I was truthful and tried not to cause too much commotion, one way or another.”

https://nypost.com/2018/12/03/jay-bruce ... en-praise/

Post subject: Re: Jay Bruce Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:36 pm 
General Manager

Poor Jay would be better remembered by Met fans if he never came back last off-season. I still think he’s got a good year or two in him though.

I will at least remember how he responded following his 2016 post deadline nightmare in 2017, he obviously isn’t the perfect hitter but is a pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:13 pm 
NYFS Staff

Not a bad guy. Just not a good fit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:13 am 
Legend of NYFS

Not sure what to add. He had a bad year last year. He got us something in trade the year before and I wish him the best in Seattle. I liked him, but he was overpaid in his time here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:08 am 
Blue Chipper

Jay was a good guy, helped a little, but like so many before him we had him for the wrong seasons. You know, like Robinson Cano.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:37 pm 
All Star

Last year for Bruce was lost because of injuries (he tried playing through them early in the season and it ruined his ability to hit).

He had a great season the year before. He'll crush his 300th HR next year, and I bet he gets to 400+ when he calls it a career.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:42 pm 
Legend of NYFS

He'll be back at the deadline don't worry.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:06 pm 
General Manager

69FOREVER wrote:
Jay was a good guy, helped a little, but like so many before him we had him for the wrong seasons. You know, like Robinson Cano.

Eh not his fault we wasted his 2017 where he had 36 HR's and 101 RBI's.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:53 pm 
Everyday Player

I remember in spring training, Bruce was open about having foot ailments, and I could tell he was lumbering gingerly from RF across the diamond to the dugout. He seemed a professional, determined to carry on even though he was in some pain.

But he wasn't last in the dugout. Cespedis, who was supposively healthy and the fastest man on the team, painfully dragged him self from LF, across the line and into the dugout, trailing Bruce at the end.

Too bad the Mets didn't know about those bum heals before they resigned him. Or, if some on the team knew and signed him anyway, I hope they are happily settling into new careers.

Offense will be spotty, but the Pitching will carry them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:08 am 
Rookie

I don’t mind them trading Bruce but they traded him at his absolute low point in value. I hate that. Same with Swarzek. It’s pretty obvious Bruce is gonna have a nice bounce back season in 2019. Not that it matters a whole lot but the asset management...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:32 am 
Veteran Presence

A nice player, was exactly who I thought he was. Hit some HR's strike out a lot, prone to awful slumps/really hot streaks and hit for a low average. A nice complementary piece to a lineup but not a difference maker. Issue with the Mets was people wanted him to be more than he was for his career.

Hey, you know what they say: see a broad to get dat booty yak 'em... ...leg 'er down a smack 'em yak 'em!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:34 am 
Legend of NYFS

egelband2 wrote:
I don’t mind them trading Bruce but they traded him at his absolute low point in value. I hate that. Same with Swarzek. It’s pretty obvious Bruce is gonna have a nice bounce back season in 2019. Not that it matters a whole lot but the asset management...

I don’t know how obvious it is. Bruce has only been worth more than 0.4 WAR in a season once since 2013.