MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sounds like even the Mets doubt Cespedes back mid-season
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:29 pm 
Legend of NYFS

"If he gives us anything this year, that is great, we're happy for that," Minaya said.

Post subject: Re: Sounds like even the Mets doubt Cespedes back mid-season
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:41 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Metro2007 wrote:
"If he gives us anything this year, that is great, we're happy for that," Minaya said.

I heard it. He just stumbled his way thru the question. It wasn't an official team timeline. It sounded more like he had no idea of the answer (question was 'what is the timeline for Cespedes?') and so he didn't want to be on record as giving any dates.

Completely meaningless.... which is not to say that they believe Ces will be back.... just that Omar is not a reliable source for this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:45 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:

I heard it. He just stumbled his way thru the question. It wasn't an official team timeline. It sounded more like he had no idea of the answer (question was 'what is the timeline for Cespedes?') and so he didn't want to be on record as giving any dates.

Completely meaningless.... which is not to say that they believe Ces will be back.... just that Omar is not a reliable source for this.

I disagree it's completely meaningless. If they felt very confident he'd be back mid-season (as has been implied by the GM himself) I find it hard to believe it would be phrased like this. They are privy to his rehab.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:48 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Metro2007 wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:

I disagree it's completely meaningless. If they felt very confident he'd be back mid-season (as has been implied by the GM himself) I find it hard to believe it would be phrased like this. They are privy to his rehab.

Did you hear it, yes or no?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:51 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Because Omar is a poor communicator he's unable to say something other than a quote that sure implies that the Mets views are likely closer to the fan base aka "likely" not a huge contribution this year? Why wouldn't the easier line simply be "we feel good about his rehab" or "mid-season is the hope"? If anything this quote implies some level of "thinking" vs. parroting what we've been told. Omar was famously optimistic. You don't believe this represents Omar's actual opinion and likely the internal view? We were told this was the case WHEN he has the surgery. This isn't exactly shocking.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:59 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Omar Minaya went on MLB Network Radio today to speak about a variety of things regarding the Mets, but the most notable of those were in regards to Yoenis Cespedes and his health.

“If he gives us anything this year, that is great, we’re happy for that.”

As we all know, Cespedes underwent double heel surgery this winter that according to Brodie Van Wagenen, was expected to keep him out until July.

However, Minaya’s comments change the tone significantly as he makes it sound as if Cespedes is not expected back until later in the year if at all in 2019.

This obviously might paint a different picture on the perceived fan interests on what the team must do this offseason. If the return of Cespedes in 2019 is really in that much flux, the team might need to look for a more permanent solution in the outfield if they want to contend in 2019.

A.J. Pollock was at one point considered an option, but interest in him cooled after they signed Wilson Ramos. The team has also spoken with outfield options such as Marwin Gonzalez and Adam Jones while Bryce Harper remains the crown jewel on the free agent market. The team has yet to show interest in him as of now.

https://metsmerizedonline.com/2019/01/m ... edes.html/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:14 pm 
Legend of NYFS

So I guess you didn't hear it then.

Anyhow, I would rather stick needles in my eyes than debate this bit of minutiae.

The Mets messaging is perpetually mixed bc they always have so many people going on various media and they aren't coordinated. I'm going to stick by my point that Omar's quote on this is basically meaningless and prob somewhat uninformed. I don't think it was catching him off guard and getting him to give a candid response on Ces. I really didn't get that impression.

All that said, it's prob fair to expect very little from Ces this year. If BVW is saying otherwise, it's prob with a nod to selling ST plans.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:22 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Mets insider on BBI did not dispute Omar's comments FYI

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:22 pm 
Franchise Player

Metro2007 wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:

It all depends on your narrative...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:30 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Huh? This is a direct quote. What framing am I doing? You want to claim the quote is wrong or false? Go for it but just like when Brodie says "we have money to spend", Omar saying this is an on the record quote. Take issue with him. Not me. No narrative necessary. He said it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:56 pm 
Draft Pick

Just sign Hoppah! Boom!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:55 pm 
Rookie

Wasn't this what we were expecting?