MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Terrifying note from Fangraphs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:34 am 
User avatar
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:57 pm
Posts: 83877
Location: New York, NY
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwUON55U0AAszo-.jpg

Good luck defending this one lol

_________________
Twit-@Wexlerrules
Instagram- @Wexlerrules
Staunch anti-BADP (Batting average dependent players)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Terrifying note from Fangraphs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:55 am 
Offline
General Manager

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:45 pm
Posts: 7776
Is that Mets past, as in Sandy's days, or potential Mets future, as in BVM philosophy?

If it's the past, yes, well that's one reason the team needed a change.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Terrifying note from Fangraphs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:58 am 
User avatar
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 61933
TomInNC wrote:
Is that Mets past, as in Sandy's days, or potential Mets future, as in BVM philosophy?

If it's the past, yes, well that's one reason the team needed a change.


Well, as there's been no scouting to be done in the BVW era given where we are in the calendar year, would almost certainly be a note on the previous scouting dept. Which was overhauled this offseason, for whatever that is worth, with Baird and Banner coming in.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Terrifying note from Fangraphs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:01 pm 
Offline
General Manager

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:45 pm
Posts: 7776
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
TomInNC wrote:
Is that Mets past, as in Sandy's days, or potential Mets future, as in BVM philosophy?

If it's the past, yes, well that's one reason the team needed a change.


Well, as there's been no scouting to be done in the BVW era given where we are in the calendar year, would almost certainly be a note on the previous scouting dept. Which was overhauled this offseason, for whatever that is worth, with Baird and Banner coming in.


That's what i was guessing, so it's just more reason why we needed change.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Terrifying note from Fangraphs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:05 pm 
User avatar
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:57 pm
Posts: 83877
Location: New York, NY
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
TomInNC wrote:
Is that Mets past, as in Sandy's days, or potential Mets future, as in BVM philosophy?

If it's the past, yes, well that's one reason the team needed a change.


Well, as there's been no scouting to be done in the BVW era given where we are in the calendar year, would almost certainly be a note on the previous scouting dept. Which was overhauled this offseason, for whatever that is worth, with Baird and Banner coming in.



It's still notable as 1. We don't know they are changing this policy 2. This policy presumably has allowed other teams to take advantage of this fact this off-season. THEY should our lower minors whereas we don't do the same for theirs? This stinks of $$ concerns and not "Sandy didn't want to to scout the lower minors".

_________________
Twit-@Wexlerrules
Instagram- @Wexlerrules
Staunch anti-BADP (Batting average dependent players)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Terrifying note from Fangraphs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:05 pm 
Offline
NYFS Hall of Famer

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:25 pm
Posts: 5580
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
TomInNC wrote:
Is that Mets past, as in Sandy's days, or potential Mets future, as in BVM philosophy?

If it's the past, yes, well that's one reason the team needed a change.


Well, as there's been no scouting to be done in the BVW era given where we are in the calendar year, would almost certainly be a note on the previous scouting dept. Which was overhauled this offseason, for whatever that is worth, with Baird and Banner coming in.


Literally just got done arguing this on Twitter. This has to be old lol...it does speak on how bad it was for the Sandy regime.

_________________
eternal optimist

You will be missed Carlos!

Remember Met fans, every trade is different and independent from the rest. TIS...Trust in Sandy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Terrifying note from Fangraphs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:15 pm 
User avatar
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:11 am
Posts: 27400
Location: NYC
Metro2007 wrote:
2. This policy presumably has allowed other teams to take advantage of this fact this off-season.

Causality? The Mets are pretty clearly showing their willingness to sacrifice lower level players in order to get ones closer to (or in) the majors. What they've done with these trades doesn't [have to] mean that lack [proper] evaluations of lower level talent. I think that's a stretch.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Terrifying note from Fangraphs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:18 pm 
User avatar
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:57 pm
Posts: 83877
Location: New York, NY
HeyNowHK wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
2. This policy presumably has allowed other teams to take advantage of this fact this off-season.

Causality? The Mets are pretty clearly showing their willingness to sacrifice lower level players in order to get ones closer to (or in) the majors. What they've done with these trades doesn't [have to] mean that lack [proper] evaluations of lower level talent. I think that's a stretch.



A stretch? The fact other teams have used scouting to identify players in the Mets system at the lower minors level whereas the Mets seemingly are targeting guys they have "seen" (especially the Plawecki deal). This is an indefensible note. Really not sure how it can be seen otherwise.

_________________
Twit-@Wexlerrules
Instagram- @Wexlerrules
Staunch anti-BADP (Batting average dependent players)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Terrifying note from Fangraphs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:19 pm 
User avatar
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:57 pm
Posts: 83877
Location: New York, NY
Let me hear reasonable rationale as to why the previous GM wouldn't want the lower minors scouted. He's not the one doing the work. Seems like a standard "well since we can't change owners lets blame the guy who is gone".

_________________
Twit-@Wexlerrules
Instagram- @Wexlerrules
Staunch anti-BADP (Batting average dependent players)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Terrifying note from Fangraphs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:28 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Franchise Player

Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:22 am
Posts: 3110
Is there a list out there that includes every Met prospect from the short-season teams that has been traded over the last 10 years?

How have they gone on to do in their respective careers?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Terrifying note from Fangraphs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:33 pm 
User avatar
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:57 pm
Posts: 83877
Location: New York, NY
The Juice wrote:
Is there a list out there that includes every Met prospect from the short-season teams that has been traded over the last 10 years?

How have they gone on to do in their respective careers?



Are we really using this barometer to suggest it makes sense to not scout short-season players? The "opposite of most other teams"? Have we really come to this? And the last 10 years the Mets have made very few trades to begin with so even THIS wouldn't tell you much.

_________________
Twit-@Wexlerrules
Instagram- @Wexlerrules
Staunch anti-BADP (Batting average dependent players)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Terrifying note from Fangraphs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:34 pm 
User avatar
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:11 am
Posts: 27400
Location: NYC
Metro2007 wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
2. This policy presumably has allowed other teams to take advantage of this fact this off-season.

Causality? The Mets are pretty clearly showing their willingness to sacrifice lower level players in order to get ones closer to (or in) the majors. What they've done with these trades doesn't [have to] mean that lack [proper] evaluations of lower level talent. I think that's a stretch.



A stretch? The fact other teams have used scouting to identify players in the Mets system at the lower minors level whereas the Mets seemingly are targeting guys they have "seen" (especially the Plawecki deal). This is an indefensible note. Really not sure how it can be seen otherwise.

The Mets are purposely trading for players that are close to (or in) the majors. They are using lower level prospects (or surplus catcher) to do that. How do these trades prove that their evaluations of lower level players are in any way lacking?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bklyndave69, bygranddesign, degromination, Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], HeyNowHK, luciferase, MarkJohnson>You, Metro2007, MookieWouldaBeatIt, Munky00, sluger11787, Spacetraveler and 141 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


FIND AN AA MEETING | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL BEST SELLERS | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GET HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | VETERAN TIPS ON CRAFT DIY RECIPES | FIND ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB LOCAL NEW OR USED BOOK STORE | KNICKS BLOG FORUM BOARDS | © Untraditional Media