MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2019 ncaa season
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:06 am 
Everyday Player

Only a few days away from first official hacks of the new year. I love college baseball, wish I had gotten into it far sooner, and it has been a great distraction from an offseason of general negativity throughout the game at the MLB level. Any teams, players, regions that jump out to any of you guys this year, from a Mets or basic baseball POV?

Post subject: Re: 2019 ncaa season
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:29 am 
Legend of NYFS

I like watching players I'd like the Mets to draft throwing 140 pitches, and then coming in in relief 2 games later.......

8)

8)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:24 pm 
Everyday Player

R Nitelight wrote:
I like watching players I'd like the Mets to draft throwing 140 pitches, and then coming in in relief 2 games later.......

8)

I used to worry bout that, and there have certainly been some collateral damage along the way as far as abused arms..... but honestly, the strategy of using kid gloves at the professional level does not seem to be helping with durability either. So for now at least, I side with the level that the focus is on grinding out every win possible.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:25 pm 
Everyday Player

Watching LSU game from last night, Daniel Cabrera looking like pro-version of Conforto. Stud sophomore.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:35 pm 
Franchise Player

No idea what his draft stock is like, but KU catcher Jaxx Groshans (older brother of Blue Jays first rounder Jordan) is off to a ridiculous start.

12 for 26 with 6 HR, 14 RBI and 9 BB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:14 pm 
Everyday Player

The Juice wrote:
No idea what his draft stock is like, but KU catcher Jaxx Groshans (older brother of Blue Jays first rounder Jordan) is off to a ridiculous start.

12 for 26 with 6 HR, 14 RBI and 9 BB

Anytime you start with Adley Rutschman you've got a chance at a historic catching class, but Shea Langaliers could also be a top-10 pick. Kyle McCann is essentially replacing Joey Bart at Georgia Tech, and Groshans is crushing the ball too..... very interesting group

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:29 pm 
Franchise Player

Braves prospect Ian Anderson's twin brother Ben, a pitcher for D1 Binghamton, might be an interesting target at the middle/late rounds...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:46 pm 
Rookie

The Juice wrote:
Braves prospect Ian Anderson's twin brother Ben, a pitcher for D1 Binghamton, might be an interesting target at the middle/late rounds...

As someone who went to Binghamton for a few semesters, I approve.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:27 pm 
Franchise Player

Anyone know what will happen with Navy stud pitcher Noah Song? As far as baseball goes, he sure seems like a top talent, but doesn't he have to serve a few years as a requirement of attending the Academy?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:55 pm 
Everyday Player

The Juice wrote:
Anyone know what will happen with Navy stud pitcher Noah Song? As far as baseball goes, he sure seems like a top talent, but doesn't he have to serve a few years as a requirement of attending the Academy?

He's looking at a 5 year requirement. Not sure if he can get out of it.

Here's a story after the 2018 draft.

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:21 pm 
Franchise Player

I don't have a subscription to BA or D1Baseball, so I apologize in advance if the following list mirrors any list of theirs that highlights players trending up heading into the draft. As far MLB Pipeline's Top 100 draft prospects list is concerned, the following is a bunch of guys who caught my eye this spring who fall outside their top 100.

RHP Ty Adcock, Elon -- Has caught, played some outfield and DH'd, but also closes for the Phoenix and that's where his future lies in pro baseball--on the mound. Kirby and Brnovich get the press, deservedly so, but Adcock is a fine prospect in his own right thanks to a FB that his touched mid 90s.

RHP Nelson Alvarez, South Florida -- Big kid with a big fastball. Closing for the Bulls in his first D1 season after transferring from JUCO. Drafted twice previously (27th Rd. in '16; 23rd Rd. in '18), but will certainly go earlier than that this time around.

1B Bryce Ball, Dallas Baptist -- First D1 season after two years in JUCO. 6'6" lefty has smashed 15 longballs.

LHP Dante Biasi, Penn State -- Northeast players rarely get the recognition they deserve, but Biasi should be able to overcome such bias and get selected early on. FB has been recorded as high as 95 and his changeup is a plus-pitch in the making. A personal favorite I'd really like to see the Mets drat.

OF Will Brennan, Kansas State -- Pro-level understanding of the strike zone. Has popped four home runs this year after going homerless in 2017-18. High 80s off the mound. Low-ceiling, but could make for a "value" pick.

RHP J.C. Keys, Southern Miss -- Senior sign. Diminutive closer with low 90s FB (T94) and sharp breaker.

RHP Chris Lincoln, UC Santa Barbara -- Converted to relieving full-time after starting some games in 2017-18. FB has ticked up after move to closing role. Lean and athletic. Arms and legs fly at the hitter.

2B/UTIL Trevor Ezell, Arkansas -- Senior sign. Has played 1B, 2B, 3B and some OF during college career. Switch-hitter. Utility profile.

LHP Nick Snyder, West Virginia -- 6'7" lefty has been a mid-week starter for WVU. Low 90s FB plays up due to size. Nearly no-hit Marshall a couple weeks ago going 8.2 before an infield single broke it up. He K'd 16 in the effort. If he gained any velocity in short stints there's the making of a power lefty out of the pen.

RHP Matt Waldron, Nebraska -- Senior sign. Control artist has seen a velocity spike into the low 90s late in college career.

RHP Jacob Wallace, UConn -- After lighting up the Cape in 2018, he has continued his dominance this spring by pounding the zone with legit mid-90s fastball. Low 3/4 arm slot with arm side run. Could be a quick mover in pro ball.

RHP Justin Yeager, Southern Illinois -- Another big kid with a mid 90s fastball.

RHP Jarred Zill, Cal Poly -- Senior sign. Missed time in 2017 (underwent TJS after three starts) and 2018 (shoulder), but velocity has held up post-injury as he's been as high as the mid 90s.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:34 pm 
Franchise Player

Add New Mexico righty Justin Slaten to that list.