MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Opening Day Roster Predictions
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:08 pm 
Legend of NYFS

jdawginsc wrote:
Actually the Alonso hurried decision is a stupid one. Here's why...

Frazier and Lowrie aren't going to be paid $8-10m to sit the bench. Lowrie presumably gets third base when healthy. That leaves Frazier to play first. I don't care what forum posts say, Frazier will play because Mickey will show deference to the veteran.

That means that righty hitting Alonso will share time at first...who do you think will get more time...?

If Alonso is going to be given the job, fine, let him play every day. If not, save the extra year by letting Dom platoon.

Alonso will be starting over Frazier at some point this season. No reason to wait when we’re supposed to be contending.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:13 pm 
NYFS Staff

thebull wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:
Actually the Alonso hurried decision is a stupid one. Here's why...

Frazier and Lowrie aren't going to be paid $8-10m to sit the bench. Lowrie presumably gets third base when healthy. That leaves Frazier to play first. I don't care what forum posts say, Frazier will play because Mickey will show deference to the veteran.

That means that righty hitting Alonso will share time at first...who do you think will get more time...?

If Alonso is going to be given the job, fine, let him play every day. If not, save the extra year by letting Dom platoon.

Alonso will be starting over Frazier at some point this season. No reason to wait when we’re supposed to be contending.

Will he...? I don't think that can be definitively stated...? Games still are managed by managers...

One of Dom or Alonso should be starting at first. I wholeheartedly agree...just devils advocate here, but what if Alonso starts out of the gate, Frazier off the bench and Dom is stashed.

What if Alonso starts slowly and is hitting .190 on May 1. How many games might that have cost us. There is no guarantee that the shift and inexperience won't destroy a young player.

I don't think definitively, there is any way to predict who gives us the best April...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:02 pm 
Legend of NYFS

If Alonso starts slowly- we’ll be getting the same production that Dom has given.

Again- why is Dom considered anything other than likely to be absolutely awful? Because of like 30 spring at bats? That have been in aggregate less productive than Alonso’s? I don’t get it. Did everyone forget what Don did last year ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:25 am 
Veteran Presence

If Alonso's on the team, I will be stunned if he doesn't play every day. The team isn't going to burn the extra service year just to split time with a guy that OPS'd under .700 last year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:33 am 
Legend of NYFS

I don't get a sense anyone is pushing Frazier to hurry back.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:43 am 
Prospect

R Nitelight wrote:
I don't get a sense anyone is pushing Frazier to hurry back.

8)

Nor should they be. The only thing over the past 3-4 years about Frazier that suggests he is still an everyday player is his paycheck.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:52 am 
Legend of NYFS

Not a prediction, but if it was me, I'd move Matz to the pen. He's probably on an innings limit anyway. Let him work on his stuff in lower-risk situations. Not sure who gets the 5th spot, probably Lugo to start, but I'd look at getting Oswalt in the mix if his added velocity is legit too.

I don't hate Hech but 3 million seems like a wasted expense for bench player who can't hit. If he cost 1 million, I'd probably put him on the opening day roster with Frazier & Lowrie probably starting on the DL.

I want to root for TdA, but I'd probably pick Mesoraco over him.

and I'm going to be a dick and say Alonso has to wait his 15 days.

So

C: Ramos/Mesoraco
1B: Dom Smith
2B: Cano
3B: McNeil

Bench, JDD, Guillorme.

OF: Conforto, Nimmo, Lagares, Broxton (I don't see a 5th).

8 pitchers to start, but if they go with 7, I'm not sure who gets the extra bench spot. I'm drawing a blank. At least until Lowrie or Frazier or Alonso get added, I just don't see a bat that's screaming "pick me, pick me".

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/g27357114/peter-mayhew-star-wars-photos-chewbacca/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:55 am 
Rookie

LTKfRGM wrote:
Not a prediction, but if it was me, I'd move Matz to the pen. He's probably on an innings limit anyway. Let him work on his stuff in lower-risk situations. Not sure who gets the 5th spot, probably Lugo to start, but I'd look at getting Oswalt in the mix if his added velocity is legit too.

I don't hate Hech but 3 million seems like a wasted expense for bench player who can't hit. If he cost 1 million, I'd probably put him on the opening day roster with Frazier & Lowrie probably starting on the DL.

I want to root for TdA, but I'd probably pick Mesoraco over him.

and I'm going to be a dick and say Alonso has to wait his 15 days.

So

C: Ramos/Mesoraco
1B: Dom Smith
2B: Cano
3B: McNeil

Bench, JDD, Guillorme.

OF: Conforto, Nimmo, Lagares, Broxton (I don't see a 5th).

8 pitchers to start, but if they go with 7, I'm not sure who gets the extra bench spot. I'm drawing a blank. At least until Lowrie or Frazier or Alonso get added, I just don't see a bat that's screaming "pick me, pick me".

Gotta give Matz a shot to build on last year's full season and relatively successful results.... that said, if word that Keuchel's price has hit rock bottom, I'm jumping and sending Matz to the pen. Improves both portions of the staff and it would be the year to do it, with the pressure on to contend and a draft class looking weaker and weaker IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:30 pm 
Manager

The rotation depth is super scary with Matz who stinks and who always has problems health wise and Vargas who just stinks 3/4 of his starts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:49 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Have to be honest... the pitching depth is starting to concern me... primarily pen. It gets thin pretty quickly. One injury is going to expose them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:46 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

Looks like some of you guys got sucked into believing the "eliminate the ifs" pr campaign.

Fire Brodie!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:46 pm 
NYFS Staff

Ralf...be fair. They ARE deep position wise. Pen-wise, they are still pretty deep.

Rotation, I definitely agree with you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next