MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: IGT: Mets at Nats 5/16/19 (Wheeler/Sanchez)
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:18 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Dog wrote:
Listening to Olney this morning on Golic and Wingo. Olney confirms that Callaway is definitely on the hot seat and then proceeds to bash the front office for the way they've fired coaches and GMs in the past mid-season. He thinks firing Callaway is preposterous at this juncture but that's how the Mets do business. He also was poking fun at the Mets for getting "older" in an age when most teams are getting younger. Mentioned Cano, Lowrie as bad moves.

I mean the Mets have fired one manager (Willie) in season since...man who was the manager before Bobby V? Dallas Green?

And the last GM they fired in season was...?

Not to mention, the above says he's bashing the front office which has been in place for exactly 0 mid-seasons?

Even if assume he means ownership, and we limit it to COACHES, what are we looking at? Dave Hudgens and Rick Peterson within this millennium?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:55 pm 
NYFS Staff

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I'm just passing along what Olney said. I didn't say I agreed with his synopsis.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:20 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Dog wrote:
Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I'm just passing along what Olney said. I didn't say I agreed with his synopsis.

Not shooting the messenger; pointing out the silliness of the message.

If anything, the Mets have been painfully slow to make changes because they don't want to pay for 2 managers, 2 pitching coaches, etc.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:48 pm 
General Manager

They've fired a lot of 'coaches' in season but not so much managers/GM's. Both of Bobby V's coaches ate it midseason, so did Rick Down and I think a couple of other hitting/pitching coaches.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:04 pm 
Franchise Player

You can’t fire a GM a quarter through his first season. Right? That’d be pretty reactionary. He would have to be really bad. Like former agent masquerading as a GM acquiring all his clients from his previous employ bad.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:13 pm 
Legend of NYFS

AllWrightNow wrote:
They've fired a lot of 'coaches' in season but not so much managers/GM's. Both of Bobby V's coaches ate it midseason, so did Rick Down and I think a couple of other hitting/pitching coaches.

Apodaca, Robson and (I forget the 3rd) - that was 20 years ago.

Rick Down - that was 12 years ago.

I mean, the comment was the "Mets Front Office" and these are like 3 or 4 front offices ago. You can't even count Bobby V against the current ownership group as that was still during the Doubleday years!

This is really a stretch to say the Mets do this frequently.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:55 pm 
General Manager

MikeH wrote:
You can’t fire a GM a quarter through his first season. Right? That’d be pretty reactionary. He would have to be really bad. Like former agent masquerading as a GM acquiring all his clients from his previous employ bad.

I didn't think it was possible for a head coach with a losing record to fire the sitting GM who ostensibly hired him but....

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:07 pm 
Rookie

AllWrightNow wrote:
MikeH wrote:

I didn't think it was possible for a head coach with a losing record to fire the sitting GM who ostensibly hired him but....

I'd almost rather have Gase as GM of the Mets than BVW...

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:41 pm 
Legend of NYFS

sluger11787 wrote:
Broxton isn't going anywhere just yet. Gomez is undoubtedly here to replace Conforto on the active roster.

I didn’t think they would pull the trigger on this yet either. Unlike Alderson, BVW isn’t going to wait to make moves.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:18 am 
General Manager

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
AllWrightNow wrote:

I mean, the comment was the "Mets Front Office" and these are like 3 or 4 front offices ago. You can't even count Bobby V against the current ownership group as that was still during the Doubleday years!

We left out the obvious in-season GM firing - Sandy, although it wasn't really couched as one.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:15 am 
Legend of NYFS

AllWrightNow wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
AllWrightNow wrote:

We left out the obvious in-season GM firing - Sandy, although it wasn't really couched as one.

Sandy if healthy would have absolutely finished out last year and maybe even continues. He dictated his tenure 100%. I think he had his health issues, saw the near term prospects, and frankly got a bit tired of the job.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7