MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: 2019-2020 Offseason Thread
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:08 am 
Everyday Player

Maybe bad karma to start this with the team still in some type of contention, but here goes anyway:

I predict a pretty much paint-by-the-numbers winter

1. Calloway is retained. Unless they go 5-25 down the stretch, he is coming back for his final year. No way are Jeffy and BVW going to bring in a proven name like Giraudi or Showalter. Several coaches are shown the door. Luis Rojas gets a promotion and the Vulture goes back into retirement.

2. Syndergaard gets an extension. This will be the drama of the early offseason, will they or won't they trade him. Finally the two sides come to an agreement on a 5-year deal, buying out the last two years of his arbitration and keeping him a Met until 2025.

3. Wheeler, Frazier and Lagares all depart via FA. No QO for Zack. Lagares might return based on the next move...

4. Dom Smith is traded. Probably to an AL team for a potential #5 starter, although maybe the long anticipated Mets acquiring Myles Straw finally happens. Boston is rumored to be in the 1B market, so maybe Dom for Bryan Mata or Thad Ward. They need someone to take the #5 spot in the rotation.

5. A late offseason reliever is signed. Too many names to pick from right now.

That's pretty much it. They are set at nearly every position, although they lack a true CF if Lagares departs. They'll need to replace Wheeler, whom IMO is very replaceable.

Post subject: Re: 2019-2020 Offseason Thread
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:34 am 
Legend of NYFS

I think Calloway depends on how much Brodie likes him. It's Brodie's ship. He might have his own guy in mind.

I hate to make predictions on extensions. Who knows what Thor thinks he deserves and those negotiations will be tricky. Brodie will consider any trade, even Thor, but he'd want something impressive in return so . . . could be a rocky off-season.

I agree with you on the QO for Zack. They lose all their flexibility if he says yes. Tough call. But they could try to extend him.

Yes, Frazier & Lagares are gone - no question. Dom has options, so they're not going to trade him cheap, though he's a good trade candidate.

I'll add, I'm sure Brodie will move a bit more talent from the minor league system to improve the team in 2020, so it could be an interesting ride.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:19 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Bad loss like tonight makes me want to turn back to this thread...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:52 pm 
Prospect

Disco Ball wrote:
Maybe bad karma to start this with the team still in some type of contention, but here goes anyway:

I predict a pretty much paint-by-the-numbers winter

1. Calloway is retained. Unless they go 5-25 down the stretch, he is coming back for his final year. No way are Jeffy and BVW going to bring in a proven name like Giraudi or Showalter. Several coaches are shown the door. Luis Rojas gets a promotion and the Vulture goes back into retirement.

2. Syndergaard gets an extension. This will be the drama of the early offseason, will they or won't they trade him. Finally the two sides come to an agreement on a 5-year deal, buying out the last two years of his arbitration and keeping him a Met until 2025.

3. Wheeler, Frazier and Lagares all depart via FA. No QO for Zack. Lagares might return based on the next move...

4. Dom Smith is traded. Probably to an AL team for a potential #5 starter, although maybe the long anticipated Mets acquiring Myles Straw finally happens. Boston is rumored to be in the 1B market, so maybe Dom for Bryan Mata or Thad Ward. They need someone to take the #5 spot in the rotation.

5. A late offseason reliever is signed. Too many names to pick from right now.

That's pretty much it. They are set at nearly every position, although they lack a true CF if Lagares departs. They'll need to replace Wheeler, whom IMO is very replaceable.

1. Respectfully disagree. Callaway is gone at the end of the season, WC or not. The majority of fans are tired of his mismanagement, IMHO. Brodie was saddled with this buffoon and any good GM, especially a first time GM, would want to hitch his wagon to his own guy. The trick is, he'll have to put his 'used car salesman charm' into overdrive in order to convince the Coupons to pry open their wallets.

2. I hope you're right. I'd welcome that.

3. Would like to see a QO for Wheeler but I'm not sure it will happen. Frazier and Lagares can't hit the bricks fast enough for me. Thanks for your service and good riddance.

4. The logical move would be to trade Dom but I hope he stays if they don't get a good haul for him. I know this year was a small sample size but I don't think it was a fluke. I believe his best years are yet to come.

5. They have to get the bullpen right this off season. The pen (and their incompetent manager) has more than likely cost this team a playoff spot and wasted another of the prime years of these starters.

BTW, my pipe dream is Anthony Rendon. Yeah, I know, but a guy can dream. LGM!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:17 am 
Everyday Player

HeyNowHK wrote:
Bad loss like tonight makes me want to turn back to this thread...

Glad to be of service

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:29 pm 
Rookie

Mets have about 152M committed against their luxury tax payroll prior to arbitration players

Do we have any arbitration estimates on those who are eligible? If we spend ~45M via Arbitration/one year deals there will be little room to do things like QO Wheeler or sign a starter.. unless Wilpon wants to pay a penalty...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:47 pm 
Legend of NYFS

stevereiff wrote:
Mets have about 152M committed against their luxury tax payroll prior to arbitration players

Do we have any arbitration estimates on those who are eligible? If we spend ~45M via Arbitration/one year deals there will be little room to do things like QO Wheeler or sign a starter.. unless Wilpon wants to pay a penalty...

The way I look at Wheeler is that they will not make the QO if there is even the slightest chance he’d accept and clearly there is a non-zero to fair chance of him accepting. Tho at the same time I do think the possibility of a QO should help the 2 sides get an extension done.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:27 am 
Legend of NYFS

The more I look at the projected position player group next year, the more I like it. Of course, it seems likely we'll have to subtract someone (Conforto trade? Does Lowrie just retire ala Cuddyer style?), but if they can figure out a way to keep it together, something like:

C: Ramos (Nido/Rivera)
1B: Alonso (Smith)
2B: Cano (Lowrie, Panik)
SS: Rosario (Lowrie, Panik)
3B: McNeil (Lowrie, Panik)
LF: Davis/Smith (McNeil)
CF: Nimmo (Haggerty)
RF: Conforto (McNeil)

Bench: Nido/Rivera, Davis/Smith, Panik, Lowrie, Haggerty/insert veteran backup OF here

Its versatile with Lowrie filling in all over the infield, McNeil filling in everywhere but playing everyday, Panik acting as the backup MIF, Haggerty or another similar type as the speed and OF defense insert (who can also play IF in a pinch). It looks closer to what good teams do these days on their bench - stack if with starter-quality guys like Dom Smith and Jed Lowrie and deploy them everywhere. You can also probably dump Panik for Guillorme but can always just keep the depth for inevitably injury.

Filling out the pitching staff is going to be interesting. One of the current 5 starters - really, one of Noah, Wheeler or Stroman - will be gone. I have zero interest in the Corey Oswalt/Walker Lockett experience and hearing about "4 aces" when really its 1 ace and 3 high variable guys with upside but may be closer to 4 ERA types. And the bullpen basically needs to start from scratch other than Lugo and Wilson. Maybe they keep Avilan but wonder what that costs. Diaz is probably coming back, but have no idea what to do there. Familia needs to be jettisoned. Gsellman should not have a spot, we've seen enough of this for 3 years to know he's just a AAA depth guy. The other 40 man guys have shown nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:25 am 
Blue Chipper

Does Cespedes ever play for us again?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:27 am 
Franchise Player

Asbury Mark wrote:
Does Cespedes ever play for us again?

Absolutely.

He's your 2020 Mets starting third baseman:

:wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:07 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Yeah it’s hard to see them being able to carry all these guys with the usual payroll limits. You have to figure someone or more making some money will have to get moved. If they were more stocked behind the plate, I would even suggest a sell high on Ramos.

And yeah, obviously it would be great to move Familia but the only possibility is a swap of contracts which isn’t going to help. Even Lowrie looks like an overpaid UT guy which might be fine on a lot of teams but is going to be a challenge here. I think there will still be a market for Diaz and they may actually have to package him with someone else to move some money. I don’t really see them anxious to move Scooter or Noah now. It’s more likely they see the 2nd half success as validation of this roster configuration and will just need to figure out the pen.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:25 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I could see something like Ramos and Diaz for Kike Hernandez and Austin Barnes plus a Dodger prospect to make it work... Josh Sborz or another arm. Would save the Mets a few $M. The Dodgers will probably like to have a veteran C around to split the work with Will Smith, and they’ve got other younger UT players pushing for bigger roles so it makes sense that they could be ready to move Hernandez. Yes, it’s selling low on Diaz, but I really don’t know if they have much choice IMO.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next