MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brooklyn Cyclones Playoffs Thread
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:50 pm 
NYFS Staff

The Cyclones kept their season alive tonight with a 1-0 win over Hudson Valley. The two teams will play a rubber game tomorrow to see who goes to the Championship Series.

Jed Lowrie homered to account for the only run of the game.

Nathan Jones (3 IP), Matthew Allan (2 IP), Corey Gaconi (3 IP) and Nelson Leon (1 IP) combined on a 1-hitter.

Post subject: Re: Brooklyn Cyclones Playoffs Thread
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:19 pm 
Franchise Player

sluger11787 wrote:
The Cyclones kept their season alive tonight with a 1-0 win over Hudson Valley. The two teams will play a rubber game tomorrow to see who goes to the Championship Series.

Nathan Jones (3 IP), Matthew Allan (2 IP), Corey Gaconi (3 IP) and Nelson Leon (1 IP) combined on a 1-hitter.

Maybe that Lowrie prospect will one day make it to the big leagues and play for the Mets!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:29 am 
Fan Favorite

Kind of unfair a major leaguer is playing in that leagues playoffs. I dint agree a rehab should dictate a playoff game

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:05 am 
Blue Chipper

I would agree with you, but that's a minor league team's function, to feed the mother ship. Winning games and championships are nice, but they're there only to help the big club win.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:17 am 
Franchise Player

Metsfan980 wrote:
sluger11787 wrote:

Maybe that Lowrie prospect will one day make it to the big leagues and play for the Mets!

Also maybe one of these days Mets fans will stop crapping on an injured player but that seems to the what makes a Mets fan a Mets fan.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:00 am 
Fan Favorite

MrBreeze wrote:
I would agree with you, but that's a minor league team's function, to feed the mother ship. Winning games and championships are nice, but they're there only to help the big club win.

And I understand that. But these are what...18-19 year old kids for the most part and you know they want to win a championship. I mean, what if it was Judge down there and he goes 3-4 with 2 HRs and 6 RBI's as he is LEAGUES above the rest in talent as is Lowrie.

I just think the RIGHT move is to let the kids get their shot instead and let him rehab another way. Its not like the mets are going anywhere in 25 days.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:13 am 
Franchise Player

MetFan29 wrote:
Metsfan980 wrote:
sluger11787 wrote:

Also maybe one of these days Mets fans will stop crapping on an injured player but that seems to the what makes a Mets fan a Mets fan.

He's 20 games into a rehab assignment. You only get 20 days on a rehab assignment.

Here's the form you sign when you begin a rehab assignment:

Quote:
I have negotiated with the Club and hereby consent to a rehabilitation assignment of up to _____ days.*

* (Maximum of twenty (20) days for position players; thirty
(30) days for pitchers.)

Source: Attachment 39, page 275 of the current CBA (http://www.mlbplayers.com/pdf9/5450407.pdf)

Either you're healthy enough to play baseball or you aren't. There are barely any games left in the season, he isn't preparing to play months of baseball every day.

He was asked after the game "Will today's game be your last rehab game before you join the club?"

His response: "That is yet to be determined."

They've moved him to short season A-ball against guys that took college finals 3-4 months ago so that he can still find a game to play. There's something really odd about this.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:17 am 
Legend of NYFS

MetFan29 wrote:

I could've sworn what made a Metsfan[29] a Mets fan is crapping on other Mets fans.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:19 am 
Franchise Player

Spacetraveler wrote:
MrBreeze wrote:

And I understand that. But these are what...18-19 year old kids for the most part and you know they want to win a championship. I mean, what if it was Judge down there and he goes 3-4 with 2 HRs and 6 RBI's as he is LEAGUES above the rest in talent as is Lowrie.

I just think the RIGHT move is to let the kids get their shot instead and let him rehab another way. Its not like the mets are going anywhere in 25 days.

Unfortunately, this isn't even the biggest abuse in this category. Some organizations have demoted minor league players to lower levels for their post seasons. It's under the "more playing time" umbrella, but it makes a farce of the minor league playoffs for the players that spent all season playing for the championship.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:41 am 
NYFS Staff

Lowrie's rehab assignment began on August 20 so he is eligible to play through September 8.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:52 am 
General Manager

Spacetraveler wrote:
MrBreeze wrote:

Except the Mets still think they can make the playoffs. If they thought Lowrie was ready they would have called him up the way they did Cano. It’s not like the Mets are a total 50-win team keeping a guy down after he’s ready just to help the kids, that would be far more sketchy imo.

Who does it benefit for the minor leagues to change the rule and go to a MLB type ‘if you’re not on the roster by September 1 you can’t play in playoff games’ type rule anyway? Minor league teams sell more tickets when big names are rehabbing so it benefits them. Major league teams obviously benefit from extra game action for rehabbing players. Who is it really hurting, the likely fringe minor leaguer who misses out on a few extra innings/AB’s? The other team who could well have players rehabbing or held back from a promotion for playoff action themselves?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:46 pm 
Franchise Player

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
MetFan29 wrote:

I could've sworn what made a Metsfan[29] a Mets fan is crapping on other Mets fans.

Awe I love you too.