MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IGT: D'Backs at Mets 9/11/19
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:17 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Juan Lagares was never a platoon bat. His defense fell off a cliff this year. And yes, he is starting in September when every game is must win over, among others, red-hot Cano, Conforto, heck even Jed Lowrie, tonight.

When you can get that 46 wRC+ bat vs. LHP in there, you just have to do it.

Post subject: Re: Snakes @ Mets 9/10/19
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:48 pm 
Franchise Player

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Juan Lagares was never a platoon bat. His defense fell off a cliff this year. And yes, he is starting in September when every game is must win over, among others, red-hot Cano, Conforto, heck even Jed Lowrie, tonight.

Wow.

Tonight's lineup:

Code:
1.   Amed Rosario   SS   
2.   Pete Alonso    1B   
3.   Jeff McNeil    2B
4.   Wilson Ramos    C
5.   J.D. Davis     LF
6.   Todd Frazier   3B
7.   Brandon Nimmo  RF
8.   Juan Lagares   CF
9.   Steven Matz     P

Robbie Ray leads to an off day for Nimmo, Conforto, and Cano?

Edit: Nimmo is playing, I made a mistake

This is the perfect opportunity to get Lowrie in the lineup. If the Mets are trailing after a few innings, then I really hope the plan is to get the big bats in the lineup.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:52 pm 
NYFS Staff

Metsfan980 wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Wow.

Tonight's lineup:

Code:
1.   Amed Rosario   SS   
2.   Pete Alonso    1B   
3.   Jeff McNeil    2B
4.   Wilson Ramos    C
5.   J.D. Davis     LF
6.   Todd Frazier   3B
7.   Brandon Nimmo  RF
8.   Juan Lagares   CF
9.   Steven Matz     P

This is the perfect opportunity to get Lowrie in the lineup. If the Mets are trailing after a few innings, then I really hope the plan is to get the big bats in the lineup.

Nimmo is playing. They've said Cano won't play everyday so with the lefty on the mound it makes sense to give him tonight off. Amazing how we've gone from "OMG why is Cano in the lineup" to "how is Cano not in the lineup?" Conforto is no loss not starting against LHP. I'm sure he'll be in the game the second Ray is out.

I agree, it would have been nice to see Lowrie at 2B, McNeil in RF and Nimmo in CF.

Post subject: Re: IGT: D'Backs at Mets 9/11/19
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:52 pm 
General Manager

McNeil had a rough game yesterday - with the lefty tonight, it seemed like a good opportunity to sit him tonight and get Lowrie in there .. but instead McNeil is batting 3rd

I'm not going to complain too much ... because its McNeil ... and he is one of our best hitters and ultimately its better to have him in the lineup

But i can't help but be baffled by the pointlessness of Lowrie

10 million dollars he is getting paid this year ... are we going to get anything out of that?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:25 pm 
Legend of NYFS

sluger11787 wrote:
Metsfan980 wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Wow.

Tonight's lineup:

Code:
1.   Amed Rosario   SS   
2.   Pete Alonso    1B   
3.   Jeff McNeil    2B
4.   Wilson Ramos    C
5.   J.D. Davis     LF
6.   Todd Frazier   3B
7.   Brandon Nimmo  RF
8.   Juan Lagares   CF
9.   Steven Matz     P

Nimmo is playing. They've said Cano won't play everyday so with the lefty on the mound it makes sense to give him tonight off. Amazing how we've gone from "OMG why is Cano in the lineup" to "how is Cano not in the lineup?" Conforto is no loss not starting against LHP. I'm sure he'll be in the game the second Ray is out.

I agree, it would have been nice to see Lowrie at 2B, McNeil in RF and Nimmo in CF.

Well, Juan Lagares has a 46 wRC+ against LHP this year. He hasn't even been average against them since 2015 and has actually been better against RHP in each of those seasons since. Heck, even Joe Panik is a better bat vs. LHP than RHP, if you wanted to grab Robbie a day.

But with every game a must win, and Cano being one of the hotter bats* in the lineup, getting him and Conforto (who I've noted all the time really should be a platoon guy - IF YOU HAD EVEN JUST AN AVERAGE RH BENCH BAT TO USE IN OF) a day off to get Juan Lagares in is insanity. Its not a stretch to say with the bench where it is now, and each game being so important, that Juan Lagares should NEVER be allowed to hit hereon out. Yet here he is, starting every 3rd game or so.

*He's kinda quietly KILLING it recently. He's 17 for his last 33 with 5 2Bs and 3 HRs and only 4 Ks during that stretch. Since the ASB he's batting .317/.349/.624 in 109 PAs. Its actually been quite a run, albeit in smaller samples and very seemingly under the radar.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:29 pm 
Legend of NYFS

bygranddesign wrote:
But i can't help but be baffled by the pointlessness of Lowrie

10 million dollars he is getting paid this year ... are we going to get anything out of that?

Maybe they're giving him a few days off to celebrate with his Cyclones teammates.

When's the parade?

8)

8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:43 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Interesting that Mickey hasn’t ‘found’ a start for Lowrie. He must look extremely rusty in bp. Would have thought this a good spot to get him in with Cano taking a seat. But perhaps it’ll be tmrw facing a righty when I presume Todd will sit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:51 pm 
Legend of NYFS

diComo claiming that Ramos is going to be catching Noah’s Friday start against the Dodgers. Just wow.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:55 pm 
NYFS Staff

HeyNowHK wrote:
diComo claiming that Ramos is going to be catching Noah’s Friday start against the Dodgers. Just wow.

This time it makes sense since Ramos won’t catch tomorrow. Last time it made no sense whatsoever.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:03 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:

Good.

You want a personal catcher like Bob Gibson, Steve Carleton, or Greg Maddox, then pitch like Bob Gibson, Steve Carleton, or Greg Maddox.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:04 pm 
Franchise Player

sluger11787 wrote:
Metsfan980 wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Wow.

Tonight's lineup:

Code:
1.   Amed Rosario   SS   
2.   Pete Alonso    1B   
3.   Jeff McNeil    2B
4.   Wilson Ramos    C
5.   J.D. Davis     LF
6.   Todd Frazier   3B
7.   Brandon Nimmo  RF
8.   Juan Lagares   CF
9.   Steven Matz     P

Thanks for catching my mistake with Nimmo. I agree with your point: players like Lagares should not be starting any games at this point

I guess Lowrie isn't healthy enough or ready to play a full game.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:08 pm 
Legend of NYFS

R Nitelight wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:

Good.

You want a personal catcher like Bob Gibson, Steve Carleton, or Greg Maddox, then pitch like Bob Gibson, Steve Carleton, or Greg Maddox.

8)

This is frankly idiotic. The guy is one of the very few elite starters in the game since 2015. So this is certainly not the argument to be making.