MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What to do with J.D. Davis?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:42 pm 
Franchise Player

Shefayim18 wrote:
Nimmo is not a leadoff hitter and is probably a 4th outfielder. sign a real center fielder who can get on base.
Nimmo has to start swinging the bat and not look for walls anh hbp's all the time. he will get hurt as well.
in this new age of a lively ball he needs to be more aggressive.

Wow, this post from 2016 did not age well.

Wait...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:45 pm 
Franchise Player

jdawginsc wrote:
I wouldn't trade either guy, Davis or Smith, unless an equitable controllable arm is coming back.

There are VERY few options out there that will 1. Be available, 2. Be controllable and 3. Be an impact player that would offset the loss of 4-5 years of control.

Besides, they have very little room to add salary which would be where BrodyCo would be looking.

Trading either for any less than 3 years of control is a fools errand.

Lastly, though they have their warts in the outfield, they are one heel and a hamstring from running out an Hechevarria or Rajai type.

Depth on the bench was good with those two around for a change.

Smith should be on the market.

He's talented and could play regularly somewhere else. For the Mets he's the backup to an MVP candidate at first base, and the the third or fourth best left handed outfielder.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:05 am 
Legend of NYFS

Metsfan980 wrote:

He's talented and could play regularly somewhere else. For the Mets he's the backup to an MVP candidate at first base, and the the third or fourth best left handed outfielder.

One wonders what the vintners buy.......

8)

8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:31 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Alonso hits 53 HRs (143 wRC+, 4.8 WAR) and Nitey wants him traded.

The Wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

brodie is the worst GM in human history

matlack72 wrote:
I find this talk about Kelenic comical. He's a 19 year old kid who hit .253 at Kingsport
and struck out once a game and people are talking like he's the second coming. Get real people. When you have a chance to get the best reliever in the game who's only 24 and give up Kelenic in the deal, you MAKE that deal. Stop with the nonsense.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:47 pm 
Legend of NYFS

tejdog1 wrote:

You'll thank me later.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:27 pm 
NYFS Staff

Metsfan980 wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:
I wouldn't trade either guy, Davis or Smith, unless an equitable controllable arm is coming back.

There are VERY few options out there that will 1. Be available, 2. Be controllable and 3. Be an impact player that would offset the loss of 4-5 years of control.

Besides, they have very little room to add salary which would be where BrodyCo would be looking.

Trading either for any less than 3 years of control is a fools errand.

Lastly, though they have their warts in the outfield, they are one heel and a hamstring from running out an Hechevarria or Rajai type.

Depth on the bench was good with those two around for a change.

Not that I want anyone to be injured, but Alonso Is not impervious to injury. Cespedes is a walking salary depletion device. Cano missed time...Nimmo missed time.

You have an opportunity to have one of the better benches in Smith, Davis, Lowrie, Nido and a glove type (maybe Guillorme or Gimenez).

I have seen enough Gomez, Rajai, Hech benches to last a lifetime.

I think it is foolish to trade either.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:19 am 
Legend of NYFS

R Nitelight wrote:
tejdog1 wrote:

You'll thank me later.

8)

You'd be happier with 2020 versions of players similar to Doug Mientkiewicz or David Segui. I get it. You value defense at 1b over offense. But Mets are entrenched with Alonso at 1b. There's no other position suitable. And sorry, you're not keeping a 40 home run bat out of the lineup

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:15 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Steve The Original wrote:
R Nitelight wrote:
tejdog1 wrote:

You'll thank me later.

8)

You'd be happier with 2020 versions of players similar to Doug Mientkiewicz or David Segui. I get it. You value defense at 1b over offense. But Mets are entrenched with Alonso at 1b. There's no other position suitable. And sorry, you're not keeping a 40 home run bat out of the lineup

It's strange to say this but I honestly think if Alonso was drafted as an 18 yr old kid out of high school he'd be a Nitey favorite.

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:20 am 
Everyday Player

As soon as a new manager is named, his first order of business should be to decide where to position Davis and McNeil in 2020. Give both of them the entire offseason and ST to prepare.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:22 pm 
Franchise Player

Disco Ball wrote:
As soon as a new manager is named, his first order of business should be to decide where to position Davis and McNeil in 2020. Give both of them the entire offseason and ST to prepare.

Davis is reportedly going to work on his 3B defense this off season.

So there may have already been discussion about where they're going to play primarily next season.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:30 am 
Legend of NYFS

Metsfan980 wrote:
Disco Ball wrote:

Davis is reportedly going to work on his 3B defense this off season.

So there may have already been discussion about where they're going to play primarily next season.

Not sure practice will fix it, but I wish him the best. I can live with Davis in the OF.