MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What to do with J.D. Davis?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:42 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Franchise Player

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:46 pm
Posts: 3430
Shefayim18 wrote:
Nimmo is not a leadoff hitter and is probably a 4th outfielder. sign a real center fielder who can get on base.
Nimmo has to start swinging the bat and not look for walls anh hbp's all the time. he will get hurt as well.
in this new age of a lively ball he needs to be more aggressive.


Wow, this post from 2016 did not age well.

Wait...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What to do with J.D. Davis?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:45 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Franchise Player

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:46 pm
Posts: 3430
jdawginsc wrote:
I wouldn't trade either guy, Davis or Smith, unless an equitable controllable arm is coming back.

There are VERY few options out there that will 1. Be available, 2. Be controllable and 3. Be an impact player that would offset the loss of 4-5 years of control.

Besides, they have very little room to add salary which would be where BrodyCo would be looking.

Trading either for any less than 3 years of control is a fools errand.

Lastly, though they have their warts in the outfield, they are one heel and a hamstring from running out an Hechevarria or Rajai type.

Depth on the bench was good with those two around for a change.


Smith should be on the market.

He's talented and could play regularly somewhere else. For the Mets he's the backup to an MVP candidate at first base, and the the third or fourth best left handed outfielder.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What to do with J.D. Davis?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:05 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:12 pm
Posts: 40917
Location: Panic City
Metsfan980 wrote:

Smith should be on the market.

He's talented and could play regularly somewhere else. For the Mets he's the backup to an MVP candidate at first base, and the the third or fourth best left handed outfielder.


One wonders what the vintners buy.......


8)

_________________
Whatever.

8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What to do with J.D. Davis?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:31 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:56 pm
Posts: 29940
Location: Danbury, CT
Alonso hits 53 HRs (143 wRC+, 4.8 WAR) and Nitey wants him traded.

_________________
Terry Collins cost the Mets a World Series title.

The Wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

brodie is the worst GM in human history

matlack72 wrote:
I find this talk about Kelenic comical. He's a 19 year old kid who hit .253 at Kingsport
and struck out once a game and people are talking like he's the second coming. Get real people. When you have a chance to get the best reliever in the game who's only 24 and give up Kelenic in the deal, you MAKE that deal. Stop with the nonsense.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What to do with J.D. Davis?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:47 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:12 pm
Posts: 40917
Location: Panic City
tejdog1 wrote:
Alonso hits 53 HRs (143 wRC+, 4.8 WAR) and Nitey wants him traded.



You'll thank me later.


8)

_________________
Whatever.

8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What to do with J.D. Davis?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:27 pm 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:37 am
Posts: 26023
Location: charleston, sc
Metsfan980 wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:
I wouldn't trade either guy, Davis or Smith, unless an equitable controllable arm is coming back.

There are VERY few options out there that will 1. Be available, 2. Be controllable and 3. Be an impact player that would offset the loss of 4-5 years of control.

Besides, they have very little room to add salary which would be where BrodyCo would be looking.

Trading either for any less than 3 years of control is a fools errand.

Lastly, though they have their warts in the outfield, they are one heel and a hamstring from running out an Hechevarria or Rajai type.

Depth on the bench was good with those two around for a change.


Smith should be on the market.

He's talented and could play regularly somewhere else. For the Mets he's the backup to an MVP candidate at first base, and the the third or fourth best left handed outfielder.


Not that I want anyone to be injured, but Alonso Is not impervious to injury. Cespedes is a walking salary depletion device. Cano missed time...Nimmo missed time.

You have an opportunity to have one of the better benches in Smith, Davis, Lowrie, Nido and a glove type (maybe Guillorme or Gimenez).

I have seen enough Gomez, Rajai, Hech benches to last a lifetime.


I think it is foolish to trade either.

_________________
"The most potent weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed." Steven Biko


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What to do with J.D. Davis?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:19 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:16 pm
Posts: 13394
R Nitelight wrote:
tejdog1 wrote:
Alonso hits 53 HRs (143 wRC+, 4.8 WAR) and Nitey wants him traded.



You'll thank me later.


8)


You'd be happier with 2020 versions of players similar to Doug Mientkiewicz or David Segui. I get it. You value defense at 1b over offense. But Mets are entrenched with Alonso at 1b. There's no other position suitable. And sorry, you're not keeping a 40 home run bat out of the lineup


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What to do with J.D. Davis?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:15 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:55 am
Posts: 8618
Steve The Original wrote:
R Nitelight wrote:
tejdog1 wrote:
Alonso hits 53 HRs (143 wRC+, 4.8 WAR) and Nitey wants him traded.



You'll thank me later.


8)


You'd be happier with 2020 versions of players similar to Doug Mientkiewicz or David Segui. I get it. You value defense at 1b over offense. But Mets are entrenched with Alonso at 1b. There's no other position suitable. And sorry, you're not keeping a 40 home run bat out of the lineup



It's strange to say this but I honestly think if Alonso was drafted as an 18 yr old kid out of high school he'd be a Nitey favorite.

_________________
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:


"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What to do with J.D. Davis?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:20 am 
User avatar
Offline
Everyday Player

Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 10:07 am
Posts: 1190
Location: Studio 54
As soon as a new manager is named, his first order of business should be to decide where to position Davis and McNeil in 2020. Give both of them the entire offseason and ST to prepare.

_________________
"Hope for the best, expect the Mets!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What to do with J.D. Davis?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:22 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Franchise Player

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:46 pm
Posts: 3430
Disco Ball wrote:
As soon as a new manager is named, his first order of business should be to decide where to position Davis and McNeil in 2020. Give both of them the entire offseason and ST to prepare.


Davis is reportedly going to work on his 3B defense this off season.

So there may have already been discussion about where they're going to play primarily next season.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What to do with J.D. Davis?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:30 am 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 14289
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
Metsfan980 wrote:
Disco Ball wrote:
As soon as a new manager is named, his first order of business should be to decide where to position Davis and McNeil in 2020. Give both of them the entire offseason and ST to prepare.


Davis is reportedly going to work on his 3B defense this off season.

So there may have already been discussion about where they're going to play primarily next season.


Not sure practice will fix it, but I wish him the best. I can live with Davis in the OF.

_________________
Go Mets.
Good luck Zach Wheeler. You're the only Phillie I like.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 41 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


FIND AN AA MEETING | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL BEST SELLERS | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GET HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | VETERAN TIPS ON CRAFT DIY RECIPES | FIND ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB LOCAL NEW OR USED BOOK STORE | KNICKS BLOG FORUM BOARDS | © Untraditional Media