MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The 40 man roster, cuts and rule 5s
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:13 pm 
Legend of NYFS

BA apparently has Newton as one of the names on their rule 5 list based almost solely on potential. We’ve been hearing that for years about him. That said, I’d be stunned if someone takes him. There’s no way he can provide any value to a ML team in 2020 and roster spots are valuable even to the O’s and Marlins of the league.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:26 pm 
Franchise Player

What exactly is the upside to Ali Sanchez? Is catching that thin across the league that any capable catching prospect is a commodity?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:52 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Metsfan980 wrote:
What exactly is the upside to Ali Sanchez? Is catching that thin across the league that any capable catching prospect is a commodity?

He can do 75% of what Tomas Nido can.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:23 pm 
Everyday Player

On Metsblog, Duquette is proposing Gimenez, Kilome, and either Peterson or Vientos for Marte.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:53 pm 
Rookie

Disco Ball wrote:
On Metsblog, Duquette is proposing Gimenez, Kilome, and either Peterson or Vientos for Marte.

I MIGHT do Gimenez, Kilome and Peterson. Not sure I'd give up Gimenez and Vientos.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:45 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Disco Ball wrote:

Good freakin lord, I hope they’re not thinking along these lines.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:26 am 
Everyday Player

HeyNowHK wrote:
Disco Ball wrote:

Makes me happy that Duquette is no longer GM. However, Marte does fit, and I don't have an issue with the first half of the trade. I'd give'em Gimenez, who is both blocked and pushed. Vientos also looks to be in that class, as the corner INF spots are blocked for the foreseeable future and Baty projects as a 3B.

I'd like to keep Peterson and Kilome, however. Maybe Bashlor or Oswalt instead or a MnL arm like Dibrell.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:43 am 
Legend of NYFS

Disco Ball wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Disco Ball wrote:

Makes me happy that Duquette is no longer GM. However, Marte does fit, and I don't have an issue with the first half of the trade. I'd give'em Gimenez, who is both blocked and pushed. Vientos also looks to be in that class, as the corner INF spots are blocked for the foreseeable future and Baty projects as a 3B.

I'd like to keep Peterson and Kilome, however. Maybe Bashlor or Oswalt instead or a MnL arm like Dibrell.

I wouldn’t like giving up any of those prospects particularly Gimenez who I think is going to be very good. And the SP depth is already nonexistent and Kilome and Peterson is all that’s in the 2020 pipeline. So this is a proposal that’s just robbing Peter to pay Paul IMO. And Marte just makes the payroll situation worse. The only way a deal like this works is if it’s followed by a trade of one of the OF corners to recoup some of that young depth.

I think the need for a CFer has been overstated. I’d be fine if they found someone lighter to pair up with Nimmo there. Dumping more money into a short term solution in CF means there will be less $ to address the pen, rotation depth, and catcher depth. I also wonder how good a CFer Marte is going to be going fwd.

But of course none of this is relevant to the rule 5 topic...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:20 pm 
General Manager

Disco Ball wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Disco Ball wrote:

Or Duquette is just projecting something I could absolutely see Brodie doing. Especially since none of the above were his prospects.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:44 pm 
Manager

Newton wasn't selected

Mets lose Krizan in AAA portion

They selected Adam Oller in the AAA portion

Oller posted a 5-6 record with a 4.02 ERA, 1.374 WHIP, 9.6 K/9, 2.7 BB/9 in 17 (A) ball starts last season

You will be missed Carlos!

Remember Met fans, every trade is different and independent from the rest. TIS...Trust in Sandy!