MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Expanded Playoffs
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:20 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Yup. It’s going to happen. They’re going from 10 to 16 teams. The division winners will be allowed to pick their opponents from the other 5 teams that get in in some sort of televised event. They’re going all cringy now.

Can’t wait to see the first division winner to get knocked off by an under .500 team. That’ll be fun. Anyway, get used to this nonsense.

Post subject: Re: Expanded Playoffs
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:17 pm 
NYFS Staff

Did they actually implement the pick your opponent gimmick? Passan seems to indicate that the teams will be seeded.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:33 pm 
Legend of NYFS

So if we win tomorrow we're in the playoffs?

8)

8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:37 pm 
General Manager

sluger11787 wrote:
Did they actually implement the pick your opponent gimmick? Passan seems to indicate that the teams will be seeded.

Yeah I think they're holding off on that till next year.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:52 am 
Practically A Wilpon

If it is a one year only thing, I am okay with it. Give me as much baseball as possible this year.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:02 am 
Draft Pick

8 teams from each league. Top two from each division and then the two best records after that.

It is a seeded playoff and has only been agreed to for one season. Not sure where anyone is getting this “select your opponent” or “get used to it” from.

In a normal year I would be opposed to this, but 2020 is super reduced and a crazy year as it is. Go for it. Makes the playoffs more competitive and a more entertain path to the playoffs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:49 am 
Franchise Player

It’souttahere wrote:
8 teams from each league. Top two from each division and then the two best records after that.

It is a seeded playoff and has only been agreed to for one season. Not sure where anyone is getting this “select your opponent” or “get used to it” from.

In a normal year I would be opposed to this, but 2020 is super reduced and a crazy year as it is. Go for it. Makes the playoffs more competitive and a more entertain path to the playoffs

Reminds me of the '99 Knicks making a deep run as the 8 seed in a short season. If it were a normal year, they would have been much higher than the 8 seed -- so the expanded playoff format does allow for this sort of "correction" for a shortened season.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:10 am 
General Manager

It’souttahere wrote:

Buster tweeted out yesterday early that the pick your opponent thing might happen.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:56 am 
Legend of NYFS

sluger11787 wrote:

Teams will be seeded.

Playoffs = eyes = revenue. All sports are expanding playoffs. Tournaments are fun. Upsets are fun. I hate the pick your opponent gimmick; i don't hate the expansion of playoffs given it still stacks the deck in favor of higher seed (in first round, Best of 3 with all games at higher seed ballpark). That still makes major upsets highly unlikely. And TBH its better than the prior WC game system which had more inequities given it was a 1 game winner take all for a team that could perhaps have been the 2nd best team in a league - who even if they win, would immediately be at a disadvantage in the next round.